News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

What are the best public courses between NYC and Boston?
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:46:24 PM »
I play Red Tail in Boston, but the only one I found on the drive up from the city is the public Ross one in CT - Shenacossett? (Did I spell that right?)  What's good for a quick stop on the way up or back?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 05:48:45 PM by Mike Mosely »

Eric Morrison

Re:What are the best public courses between NYC and Boston?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 08:06:32 AM »
Shennecossett.
It is what it is.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 08:07:41 AM »
Thanks...am I to understand there's NOTHING else good on I-95 between NYC and Boston?  At least that's public?

Eric Morrison

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 08:20:09 AM »
I have lived in CT all my life, and even though I am biased ( I'm the super at Shenny), of courses I have played...Great River in milford, Fox Hopyard in Haddam, Lake of Isles (Foxwoods) are the more high end public ones near I-95. CT golfer online lists all the public courses in the state. Fenner Hill is just off I-95 in R.I. But I have never played it.
It is what it is.

Eric Morrison

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:32:57 AM »
I forgot that little gem Fenwick in Old Saybrook!
It is what it is.

Andy Ryall

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 08:53:21 AM »
A bargain-priced Ross gem would be Triggs Memorial in Providence.  I understand the course has been given some TLC in recent years after being in sub-standard shape for much of the 1980s and 1990s.

Redtail is a bit out of the way - about 50 miles NW of Boston on Route 2, if you are looking to stay strictly on the I-95 corridor.

michael_j_fay

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 09:03:13 AM »
George Wright in Hyde Park (part of Boston) is a very nice Ross course although the condition may be a bit substandard.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 09:10:20 AM »
NYC to Boston is a pretty wide area, considering that there are several ways you can make the journey, like 95 the whole way, 95/91/84/90, or one of the parkways to 84 to 90, etc...and variations in between involving mohegan sun, etc.

All of the above have been good mentions, although Red Tail is more towards NH than RI or CT.

I was going to throw in Wintonbury Hills in the Hartford area, Norwich GC near Mohegan Sun, Newport National (about 30 mi. out of the way, but do-able).  I'm not as well-versed about the Westchester/Greenwich area, but 90% or more are private.

I will NOT endorse Great River.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:42:48 AM »
Mike:

You played a wonderful course in Red Tail and I have to agree with Eric on his picks for Shennecossett and Fenwick. What you really need to let us know is what route are you taking? Is is I-95 the entire way or are you going Mass. Pike to I-84 to I-91?

Anthony

Eric Morrison

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 09:50:13 AM »
To clarify...I was merely listing options that I have played...no endorsements for or against any courses...I will stay securely attached to the top of this fence...except recommending my own course for purely budgetary reasons!
It is what it is.

Ray Richard

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »
I'd add Poquoy Brook in Lakeville,Ma, a bit off I-95. Its an older Cornish workhorse layout with grand scale and some nice topography.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 04:28:57 PM »
Hi Anthony, well trails end is always red tail.  Its a favorite of mine...now my driving pattern may change a little as my girlfriend bought a place on the shore.  It used to be go directly to red tail, do not pass go, do not collect $200...so lets assume from NYC to red tail, but I can journey a little out of the way the second day.  I tried Blackstone and Pinehills, but I like Waverly Oaks and red tail better than all three of those (there are two courses at Pinehills)...Shenny is fun and right on the way.

Can anyone tell me more about fenwick?  Any pix?

Sowhat does everyone think about the three holes at Shenny that were re-done?  Are there plans to do more work there?
Congrats on your gig there, Eric.

John Foley

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 05:57:43 PM »
Mike,

Newport National - some very good discussions on it back a few months ago.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 06:46:24 PM »
might be a little out of the way, but I hear the course at Williams College is gem. Anyone ever play it?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 08:44:19 PM »
I got clobbered at Taconic in college,  but thats nowhere near in the right direction...its in the furthest NW corner of Massachusetts!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back