News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Re:Western Gailles
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 11:57:26 AM »
I have heard nothing but great things about WG. I too have had those same people tell me that when I finally make it over there that it is a must.

What do you all think of Glasgow Gailes?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bart Bradley

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 12:01:50 PM »
Nice pic. Bart.

Funny but that hole has always been very driveable when I have played it .

Normally the driving rain doesnt start until the next hole .

Did you ever play the hole when it was the Arran?

Only had the pleasure of visiting Turnberry one time..undriveable the day I played..strong breeze into...don't know what you mean by "ever play the hole when it was the Arran"

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
There used to be another course proximal to the Gailes' and perhaps even closer to Barrassie, that went the way of the dinosaur.
A caddie I had at Barrasie, siad it was the best of the bunch, does anybody know anything about it?

You can still see the rough outline of some of the dune holes, but I cannot remember if that was from Wesyern or from Barassie.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 01:19:13 PM »
Bart
There was a time when the second course at Turnberry was called The Arran .

The land for the Arran and the field next door was given to Donald Steel to build a new course , which became the Kintyre .

I played the old Arran a couple of times but the weather was always that bad I dont remember too much about it .

Its interesting looking at my Old Arran scorecard there was no hole called "John O'Groats" .

Is it possible that this hole was one of the original 18 at Turnberry , anyone ?

Also does anyone know where this 300 acres of extra land Turnberry have aquired is situated ?

R_Paulis

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 12:17:53 AM »
A little late in jumping aboard this thread, but reading the "Local Golf in Scotland" thread reminded me of Western Gailles.

Showed up mid-week about six years ago in early Fall. Greeted warmly by a gentleman at the club house who profusely apologized for heading me out on the course as a single.

Not a soul on the course that blustery day. It was one of the tougher and the most memorable courses I played over a three week span. I will never forget climbing a small hill, the one pictured behind #6, and watching the clouds roll inland.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2007, 12:22:20 AM »
I find this to be one of the great courses in Scotland. The old locker room was one of the special places.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2007, 12:09:40 PM »
If any of you folk visited WG in the mid/late 1980's, that would have been my Dad behind the bar and my Mother in charge of the kitchen, it was their last job in golf.
I, too, love the course, the only weakness I could see was the similarity of a couple of the par 4's immediately after the crossing of the figure 8. And that's picking hairs really as they are fine, fine holes.

I'm interested to know how many how in this group have actually played Glasgow Gailes, their neighbour? In fact I'll start a new thread.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2007, 05:01:27 PM »
As a contractor the thing i found so remarkable about WG was that they had just finished a ~2mill/lb clubhouse renovation and when i walked into the locker room the lockers were still the original wooden units made from(un)dimensional hand sawn boards joined on site. Guess tweezers must have been std issue for many years for splinter removal but i recall them being worn pretty smooth by now.
No one has mentioned how economical the land use was; one of the narrowest ribbons of links land i have eplayed
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back