News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Sugarloaf (the one you haven't heard of!) (w/ pics)
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:04:19 PM »
Remembering a thread recently about giving the biz to 'mom and pop' courses, I thought I would give some love to a fine one near the Poconos called Sugarloaf Golf Club.  This is a course designed by Geoffrey Cornish many years ago (1966) that is a wonderful place to play if you are in the area and want an alternative to Tilly's Valley Country Club (yeah, VCC is better).

I played there last Saturday and was a little too late to catch the course w/ the views at the peak, but I think you'll get the feeling this place is located in a beautiful part of the country.  I'm probably most impressed by the variety of greens at S'loaf.  Some are relatively boring, but others are quite contoured and varied and I think work w/ the land quite well.  Ok, as Marti DeBergi once said, enough of my yakkin', let's get to the pics:

One of the first really interesting greens is on the par 4 4th.  A tiny green with a spine running through the middle so that 3 distinct pins are possible and you better get on the right tier or else:

The fifth green sits at the end of a hill on a nice par 5; the figure 8 shape makes the middle pin perhaps the most challenging:

The green at the par 4 8th:

The green on the scenic, very downhill 9th is canted very much from back to front to allow the 2nd shot a backstop:

The view from the tee on the par 5 12th, the highest part of the course.  A drive here seems like it is in the air for a minute!

I really like how the green on the par 4 13th has been located against the hill:

The 14th is a par 5 reachable in two, but requires a 2nd shot over water, typically from a slightly downhill lie:

The green on the 14th is fun too:

The 15th hole is perhaps the longest par 3 from the tips I've played in years, coming in at 266 yards:

The green on the 15th is two-tiered:

The 16th is a par 4 head-scratcher.  This view from about 200 yards out shows the big tree located near the bend in the dogleg.  You either stay short of it, or try to drive past it to have a short iron in:

And the green at the 16th is devilish, the pin this day very difficult to get at:

Overall it is a fun layout.  I'd give it a Doak 5.  They seem to battle with wetness on #2 and #16 fairways, and some of the traps struggle to drain.  But it is hard to quibble with the price (25 bucks on Saturday).

As always, I have many more photos of the course and they are here with my specific comments:

http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/Sugarloaf/index.html

I welcome your comments as usual.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Michael_Stachowicz

Re:Sugarloaf (the one you haven't heard of!) (w/ pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 05:25:09 PM »
You know, Mr. Cornish has got to have one of the most distinctive styles out there, and it is starting to grow on me.  I think his style will age well.

In addition, the man found a way to give many golfers a fun course to play without it costing them an arm and a leg.  He may be the original minimalist, because none of his designs that I have played feature alot of shaping other than tees, bunkers, and greens.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:27:27 PM »
Joe, it looks like one of those magical days in fall when you pretty much have the whole place to yourself.  You mentioned on you photo page descriptions, about $30 w/cart.  How walkable is it?  It looks pretty reasonable to walk, even with some dramatic elevation...
Thanks.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »
Joe, it looks like one of those magical days in fall when you pretty much have the whole place to yourself.  You mentioned on you photo page descriptions, about $30 w/cart.  How walkable is it?  It looks pretty reasonable to walk, even with some dramatic elevation...
Thanks.

RJ,  I had the place pretty much to myself.  One woman was walking the front nine when I started, and two other groups went off when I made the turn.  I've walked S'loaf many times.  Is it an easy walk?  No.  But it really isn't too bad.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:13:22 PM »
Joe,

Thanks for taking me down memory lane...again.  ;D

I've walked Sugarloaf a ton of times in my youth, as well as an even better Cornish course up the street about 15 miles, Wilkes-Barre Municipal.   Man, you're making me nostalgic and sentimental.   Gotta get home for the holidays.  

I do have a funny story about Sugarloaf that taught me an important, if very humbling lesson.   Later on when I get some time I'll try to post it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:14:55 PM by MPCirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:44:05 PM »
You know, I think I've just figured out why I'm so sympathetic to blind shots (truth be told, I LOVE them), particularly from the tee, but blind approaches are fine, as well.

Joe's pics of Sugarloaf remind me clearly of the type of courses I grew up on in NE PA.   Let's take a look at some of the non-par-3 tee shots, shall we?

Hole 1

Hole 4

Hole 5

oh...since 5 is a par five, here's your second shot..

Hole 6

Hole 9

Hole 10

Hole 12

since 12 is a par five, here's the second shot..

Hole 13

Hole 14

Hole 16

Hole 18

WOW!!   :o

I feel like I just spent a week on the therapist's couch and came away with a revelation.

Is it any wonder that the whole idea of modern "framing" and "containment" and "fairness" and "visibility" are such anathema to me????   :o

Man...it's all so clear suddenly.  ;D

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »
Mike,  I was wondering if anybody would go to my web page and view all the photos.  ;)

It really is amazing the amount of blind tee shots at Sugarloaf, eh?  But they work so well as you look into the vistas.

What do you give S'loaf on the Doak scale?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:51:27 PM by Joe Bausch »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 09:57:13 PM »
Joe,

I had to go through all of them...Sugarloaf is one of my old stomping grounds!

It's also amazing how many of the approaches are partially blind, as well, usually because hole locations are tucked behind fronting bunkers that shield visibility (sometimes as far away as 20 yards from the green surface).

Also, if you like Cornish and haven't been there yet, get thee to Wilkes-Barre Muni.  

(edited) just saw your question about S'loaf on the Doak Scale.

Wow...I never thought I'd see a day when someone would ask me to compare one of the public courses I grew up playing against...well, against the rest of the world.

hmmm...I'd say if Mark Twain is a 5, Sugarloaf is a 4.

make sense?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:59:48 PM by MPCirba »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 10:47:07 PM »
It's on my list for next year:

www.sugarloafgolfclub.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JBergan

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
I never thought about the number of blind shots at Sugarloaf until I went through all of the photos.  The second shot at #11 is another fun shot.  You really have no idea how good or bad your shot is until you get up to the green.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back