News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:50:55 PM by Jay Flemma »

CHrisB

Re:Pete Dye Interview Part 1
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 02:12:40 PM »
I find it very interesting that Pete Dye felt he needed to establish his identity as an architect by going "dead opposite" of the way RTJ was doing it.

He said that he copied RTJ's style on his first few courses before going "dead opposite" starting with Harbour Town. Does anyone know where these earliest Pete Dye courses are and if they still reflect the RTJ style to this day?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:12:55 PM »
Jay,
Thanks for the link, interesting thoughts from Mr. Dye.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 02:52:31 PM »
Scorching.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 02:56:12 PM »
Great job!!!  Love the format!!  I bet Pete feels like he just played PGA West!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »
Nice job, Jay.

I can't wait for a Pete Dye book (written by the likes of a Brad Klein). It's a must that'll hopefully get done.

I'm sure there's a market just big enough to warrant such a book.
jeffmingay.com

Nick Church

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »
Wow.

I have to agree that a move back towards slower greens with more undulation would be progress.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 03:19:41 PM »
I can't wait for a Pete Dye book (written by the likes of a Brad Klein). It's a must that'll hopefully get done.

I'm sure there's a market just big enough to warrant such a book.

Jeff:

Does "Bury Me In a Pot Bunker" count? 1995 by Pete Dye with Mark Shaw. I've always enjoyed reading it, as he talked a lot about his thoughts while building various courses.

Does anyone know where these earliest Pete Dye courses are and if they still reflect the RTJ style to this day?

Chris:

I believe that Radrick Farms (the University of Michigan's alumni course) was his first 18-hole effort. I've always enjoyed the course. However, I wouldn't say that I've ever had an RTJ influence jump out at me when playing it. Maybe, or should I say certainly, I'm dense.  :)

All the best,

Sobe

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »
Doug,

I, too, enjoy Bury Me In A Pot Bunker. It's an interesting read. However, I'd like to read a book on Pete and his work written from another, learned perspective.
jeffmingay.com

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »
He says alot more interesting things in part 2, where he talks about the design of specific holes, other architects that started their careers working with him, like Tom D, and more about what architects have to do to combat technology.

And yes, I loved Bury me in a Pot Bunker as well.

tlavin

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:37:28 PM »
Mr. Dye is obviously one of the most significant architects in the history of the game and it's nice to see him shooting directly from the lip, as it were.  I just hope that I didn't see any attempt to mock a great man...

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »
Terry, I'm confused...attempt to mock a great man?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 03:51:11 PM »
When do we get Part 2, Jay?
jeffmingay.com

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »
I'll post it on my website tomorrow.  I'm not sure whether Ran will want me to link directly to it, or just cut and paste it here.  Which would you prefer?

tlavin

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 03:57:06 PM »
Terry, I'm confused...attempt to mock a great man?

I must have read something the wrong way.  I'll send you an IM so this doesn't detract from your work...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »
I'll post it on my website tomorrow.  I'm not sure whether Ran will want me to link directly to it, or just cut and paste it here.  Which would you prefer?

Jay,

Please post it on this same thread so we can reference both parts easier in the future.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
Jay that is a great interview - I hope you don't mind if I share it with the members of my club - it is  a rare opportunity to hear the thoughts of genius.  I can't wait for the second part.  

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 04:51:06 PM »
Thanks Jerry.  Please go ahead.  I'll post more tomorrow or late tonight.

John K may be right, I was soft on him, but the audience is everyone not just experts in GCA and is designed to try to have pete teach the more casual fans about some GCA principles.

Walt_Cutshall

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 04:52:52 PM »
Jay, that is a great interview. Thanks for posting it.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 05:10:25 PM »
Here's part 2.

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=783

He talks alot about how we have to do something about how far the ball flies.

By the way, I talked to Ran and asked him whether he wanted to to link to my site or cut and paste here and he said it was OK to link.

Tony Ristola

Re:Pete Dye Interview Part 1 and 2
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 05:41:39 PM »
"We’re on the rocket sled to hell."

Gary Daughters

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »

Great stuff, Jay.  Thanks
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 05:43:02 PM »

Yeah, that was excellent:)

Jason Connor

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 06:42:27 PM »
I find it very interesting that Pete Dye felt he needed to establish his identity as an architect by going "dead opposite" of the way RTJ was doing it.

He said that he copied RTJ's style on his first few courses before going "dead opposite" starting with Harbour Town. Does anyone know where these earliest Pete Dye courses are and if they still reflect the RTJ style to this day?

I didn't sense any RTJ in Radrick Farms.  It felt pretty Dye-ish to me when I visited this summer.

I also live on Dye's  Harbour Trees outside Indianapolis. It was probably designed around the time of Harbour Town, maybe a bit after (it opened after for sure).  And I don't sense much RTJ, perhaps more so than Radrick Farms if you made me say which is more RTJ-ish.

The greens at Harbour Trees are definitely tiny, smaller than Raddrick.

But that's an interesting quote.  I, too, wonder which of his early courses he feels are more like Jones'.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:13:55 PM by Jason Connor »
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Andy Troeger

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 06:43:07 PM »

Yeah, that was excellent:)

I do like that quote and some of the others including his comment about "forever" bans for steroids. I may be a little more forgiving, but I like the "that'll teach 'em" mentality too!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back