GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

RESTORE THE YALE BIARRITZ!

<< < (2/6) > >>

ANTHONYPIOPPI:
Phil:

Whipporwill has now converted the front of their Biarritz to green. A construction photo was discovered that appears to give proof that it was intended to be a two-tiered version. First, the soil in the front half of the green appears to match the back half, but not the surrounding soil. Second, their appear to be a series of small flags around the entire green complex demarcating the intended putting surface. The photo is hanging in the clubhouse bar.

Anthony

Bill Brightly:
OK, let's agree that Raynor built it as an approach, but think how hard and fast the approach  was back then with NO irrigation system...

You want to put it back as nice, cushy fairway, water it, and then have the long hitters fly their ball to the back green, while the short hitters play it like a short par 4? You think that is an improvement?

What is more firm and fast than a putting green?

And Yale has PLENTY of scary wedge shots to greens, you don't need to change the 9th hole to add that feature to the course...

ANTHONYPIOPPI:
Bill:

I was working under the assumption that the front portion would be kept firm so balls bounced to the back.

I have no problem with holes being difficult for certain groups of players. I'm a shortish hitter who fades the ball. I'm out of luck on supposedly reachable par-5s or on holes where a draw is called for (although I do have a world-class pull.) Besides, the front pin is a much more difficult shot for the short hitter. It really brings the water into play where the back pin does not.

Anthony

ANTHONYPIOPPI:
I just thought of something, seriously, shouldn't we get the opinion of Roger Rulewich on this since he has done such stellar (and expensive) restoration work up until this point? Dr. Childs, could you make contact with him, please.

Anthony

Phil Benedict:
Anthony,

I heard that Whippoorwill had converted their Biarritz.  Not everyone was happy about the change.  People don't like change, do they?

Sometimes original intent turns out to be flawed.  For example, it was intended that the Eiffel Tower would be disassembled after the Paris Exposition, for which it was built, ended.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version