News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Restorative-based work in Canada
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 07:50:08 AM »
Rob,

I'm not sure they need to import Hanse. There are at least two Canadian guys I can think of capable of doing good work at Hamilton... coincidentally, they've both posted here!

jeffmingay.com

Robert Thompson

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 08:51:31 AM »
Well, Jeff, I'd agree. But let's say I just don't understand why the club works with their current architect -- but for the Canadian Open Doug Carrick is brought in to do work. Weird.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 09:18:35 AM »
Rob,

I'm unaware of the "current architect" you refer to, but will say, that is odd that they work with someone but bring Doug Carrick in re changes relative to the Canadian Open?!

That is very weird.
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
The effect GolfClubAtlas.com has on people, eh!

Ian Andrew's posted at his blog, in response to this thread, an interesting list of those classic Canadian courses he'd like restored. Check it out here:
http://www.thecaddyshack.blogspot.com/

One thing I'll add, Ian: While we're rebuilding the 14th green at Capilano we might as well redo the 6th as well!
jeffmingay.com

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 02:33:48 PM »

Jeff and Robert,

I have not been over to Cap for few years and cannot recall what has been done with six but will have a look.

As for classics, would Green Gables not be a good candidate for restoration?

I notice no one mentions Jasper as a candidate. Might be one of the few classics that have not seen considerable change and really needs little. Capilano probably comes into that class.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2007, 02:49:22 PM »
Bob: Green Gables is an interesting one, especially once you see the original plan. But no, the course was never going back across the road, and last year was significantly reworked by Tom McBroom. Renovation? Yes. Restoration? No.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2007, 02:56:48 PM »
Bob,

I have Stanley Thompson's routing plan for Green Gables here, in my office, along with some historic photos of the course taken around the time of its completion, c. 1940.

The dunes holes there, on the north shore of Prince Edward Island, appear to have been really neat. Problem is, that section of the property has been partially erased by ocean tides and severe storms. In fact, the dunes holes were eliminated not very long after they were opened for play because of recurring damage.

So, true restoration of Thompson's Green Gables is, for the most part, impossible. However, there is some potential for the inland holes, especially where some really neat original Thompson greens survive. I noticed a few greens with excellent contour when I was last there in spring 2006.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:40:30 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back