News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lester George

Re:Best Setting in Golf?
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 04:41:22 PM »
For me:

Mountains-Old White-Greenbrier

Mark_Fine

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2007, 04:44:32 PM »
So many great courses/settings, so little time!  Is it any wonder many of us are driven to experience so many of them.  

Lester George

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »
As I was saying,

Mountains-Greenbrier-Old White and Ballyhack

Flat Land-Seminole, Country Club of Florida, Secession, Ocean City Golf and Yacht

Overseas-St Andrews, Dornoch, Turnberry, Kasumigaiseki

Round these parts-Kinloch, Kanawha

goldj

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »
If the question is where would I like to be today, November 26, given that I'm also sitting in cold, wet, utterly dreary New York City, then the answer for me is that I would like to be on the back veranda at Kauri Cliffs overlooking the gloriously blue and warming waters of the Southern Pacific and working my way through a bottle of the local sauvignon blanc.  Kauri may not provide the same golf experience that Dornoch, NLGA, Sand Hills, RCD and Cypress provide but, the golf is still very very good and, at the end of November, it's very hard to beat.

Jason Topp

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2007, 05:31:07 PM »
Anyone have an update on Fortson?  I did not see his name in the q school scores this year.

Brian Brown

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »
I am also sitting in cold wet NYC and I could think of no better place to play right now then NGLA, Shinnecock, Friars Head or Maidstone.  Playing any of these courses this time of year with no one around is a dream for me.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2007, 10:55:12 PM »
I am not as well traveled as many here but it's a special feeling stepping onto the first tee at Colonial and walking over and touching the Wall of Champions

Excellent suggestion.  How about Cherry Hills in Denver, with the Arnold Palmer plaque by the tenth hole which he drove en route to winning the US Open?  Not too shabby either.

I haven't made it to Cherry Hills, another wonderful setting is the 1st tee at Southern Hills. You look out and see that great golf course and Tulsa skyline in the background.

Tim Bert

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2007, 11:44:10 PM »
In response to the question not as it appears in the subject but in the original post, it is hard to argue with Ben's Porch.  My thoughts went there immediately after reading the the initial comments.  What an awesome setting to sit and reflect on a great day of golf.

Is anyone else disappointed that the Pacific Dunes offering isn't a bit cooler?  I like that they went with the scaled back pro shop there as opposed to the bigger lodge at Bandon.  I just wish the outdoor part of the area were done a little better.  The plexi-glass shield thingee just doesn't do it like the open setting, the unending view of the course and the wooden deck that Sand Hills has to offer.  

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2007, 09:44:02 AM »
13th green pac dunes

Doug Siebert

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2007, 12:10:56 AM »
I don't think I'll ever be able to beat spending nearly a week waking up in a third floor room at the Rusacks overlooking the 1st and 18th holes, seeing the long shadows of the early morning stretching across the course as the first group of the day limbered up.

I wish I'd taken some pictures of that but I know that even if I was a good photographer (which I'm not) I could never preserve the moment in the same way it is imprinted upon my mind.

People who haven't been there don't realize just how close to the course you are, closer than most clubhouses are, much closer than most American clubhouses.  Literally within spitting distance, not that anyone would try to spit on TOC from their hotel window.  It even gets in your head a bit on the 18th tee, especially if you'd had dinner downstairs the night before in front of that large window!  Particularly especially if you've just blocked one into the driving range on 16 trying to take the anti-Nicklaus route to the right of the Principal's Nose!  That window begins to mesmerize you, and you have to chicken out from aiming at the flag and go for that monument instead ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back