News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Washington DC and surrounding areas
« on: November 14, 2007, 02:13:21 PM »
Hi All,

I'll be in the DC area on the weekend of Dec 6th-8th for company meetings/holiday party.  Is this time of year do-able for golf in that area or surrounding areas? Or is it pretty much hit and miss with the weather?

If so any recommendations on where to play from the treehouse would be appreciated as I've got the daytime hours free on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks,

Kalen

Sean_A

Re:Washington DC and surrounding areas
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »
www.westfieldsgolf.com is the best course I have come across in my public samplings of the GREATER DC area.  

To be honest, I would make my way to Annapolis for the day and play a wee 9 holer there as part of a tourist day out.  www.annapolisgolfclub.net

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:33:19 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Craig Disher

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:49:16 PM »
Thanks, Sean. I didn't know AGC had a website. The description is a slightly misleading:

"Deep grass bunkers, reminscent of Old St. Andrews, surround the "postage stamp" greens, requiring short game skill, accuracy, and finesse -- a reliable flop shot comes in handy here."

The deep bunkers are grass bunkers because most of the original sand bunkers have been grassed over; the greens are tiny because the club decided to reduce the putting surfaces by 50%. I haven't been there in over a year - maybe it's improved. The course is still something to behold though. So much potential.

The weather could be awful but for the past 3 or 4 years, we've had playable conditions well past Christmas. Westfields is fine and there are some other good options NW of the city - Worthington Manor, e.g. If you're staying between DC anad Baltimore, Beechtree or Bulle Rock are less than an hour away. If you're in VA, Laurel Hill is a good bet.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:10:23 PM »
It can be eminently playable year round.  The best locations really depend on where you are staying in DC.  Email me your location while in DC and I would be happy to give you some recommendations.

JMorgan

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
Kalen, though I have not played it, East Potomac Blue is an old Travis design that a few GCAers have praised.  

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
Do-able golf in the DC area in December is all in the eye of the beholder! There was a time when no snow on the ground meant do-able to me. That time is long past. Pesonally I will be escaping DC in favor of Florida that weekend where the weather should make golf very do-able.

Most DC area courses offer winter discounts. Do not expect very good conditions regardless of where you play. However you may luck out with a nice "Indian Summer" day.  Good Luck!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 03:53:41 PM »
Do-able golf in the DC area in December is all in the eye of the beholder! There was a time when no snow on the ground meant do-able to me. That time is long past. Pesonally I will be escaping DC in favor of Florida that weekend where the weather should make golf very do-able.

Most DC area courses offer winter discounts. Do not expect very good conditions regardless of where you play. However you may luck out with a nice "Indian Summer" day.  Good Luck!

Rob,

Do-able to me still means the first definition.  If there isn't any snow, then we are good to go!!  Also understood about conditions, greens can be in rough shape, but I only care about the architecture anyways..  ;)

Andy Hughes

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 03:59:44 PM »
Kalen, where exactly are you going to be?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »
Kalen, where exactly are you going to be?

I'll be staying at the Landsdown resort which is Northwest of DC.  As a true blue west coaster I'm not afraid of a hour or two drive so I'm open to anything in the extended area.  I'll have the most time on Saturday and will likely have to stay "closer to home" on Sunday due to a 3 PM flight.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 04:35:21 PM »
Whiskey Creek in Ijamsville, MD has been written up here.
I played it and liked it, but not as much as Beechtree.
Gettysburg area is within your 2 hr circle since you ar NW.
With a 3pm flight on Sunday, that golf should be near the airport you are using. If using Baltimore play Beechtree or Bulle Rock. NO idea for Wash Natl or Dulles.
And Rock Creek muni will get you in like Flynn.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 04:53:33 PM »
I'll be staying at the Landsdown resort which is Northwest of DC.  As a true blue west coaster I'm not afraid of a hour or two drive so I'm open to anything in the extended area.  I'll have the most time on Saturday and will likely have to stay "closer to home" on Sunday due to a 3 PM flight.

As someone visiting DC, you should be afraid of the 30-minute drive that turns into a 90-minute drive.   :)

You could look into P.B.Dye in Ijamsville.  Should be fairly close to your location.  

Whiskey Creek (also in Ijamsville) is notable for the ruined house sitting in the middle of one of the par 5 fairways.  I've played it, enjoyed it, but wouldn't need to go back.  (Didn't know about PBD at the time.)  I think Jay Flemma organized a GCA round here; maybe he's lurking.

I'd recommend Raspberry Falls as a course that's very convenient to your location, but it is carts required and paths-only.  Don't play if you're not in a CCFAD mood.

If you want something near Dulles, try Twin Lakes, a muni that's pretty convenient to that airport (6-8 mi S).  Very good value, great burgers, but the rounds can be slow if the weather is good.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:55:23 PM by Jason McNamara »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 04:56:07 PM »
Whiskey Creek in Ijamsville, MD has been written up here.
I played it and liked it, but not as much as Beechtree.
Gettysburg area is within your 2 hr circle since you ar NW.
With a 3pm flight on Sunday, that golf should be near the airport you are using. If using Baltimore play Beechtree or Bulle Rock. NO idea for Wash Natl or Dulles.
And Rock Creek muni will get you in like Flynn.

Craig and Pete

Thanks for the info on the courses.  I called both Beechtree and Bulle Rock and they'll be closed by then.   :'(

However Worthington Manor and Laurel Hill will still be open.

Has anyone played the courses at Landsdowne.  There is a RTJ3 course and a Norman course?

Brad Swanson

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 05:16:25 PM »
but I only care about the architecture anyways..  ;)

From what I've sampled, I suggest you set your expectation bar low (for weather, conditions, and architecture).

Cheers,
Brad

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »
but I only care about the architecture anyways..  ;)

From what I've sampled, I suggest you set your expectation bar low (for weather, conditions, and architecture).

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks for the advice Brad.  If the weather doesn't play nice there is always the DC tourist usuals to check out and take a few snaps of...been years since I've been to the nations capital.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 06:32:56 PM »
If you are staying at Lansdowne your best bets are Raspberry Falls and Virginia National.  Virginia National is right on Route 7 west of Leesburg.  I've played the RTJ2 course at Lansdowne, but not since they redid the last couple holes, it was nice but I would recommend Virginia National over it.  
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Whatever you do, don't play the Norman Course at Lansdowne.

The RTJ Jr. course had a really good back nine, but it's been years since I played there and someone mentioned changes.

I'd go with Craig Disher's advice on Laurel Hill.

I'm hoping to get there myself this winter.   Bill Love is a very underrated architect.

mike_beene

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 11:09:30 PM »
Sorry,but I wouldn't even think of playing golf that time of year in DC.It will be dark really early.Instead go to the Lincoln Memorial.During the spring and fall I am in DC frequently and that is the one place I walk to over and over.It puts our great game in perspective.The capitol rotunda never gets old either.Sorry if this comes off as preachy...

Evan_Smith

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 11:43:52 PM »
Kalen

If you're up for a drive, why not head south to Richmond and you can play Belmont.  A local Muni right on Hwy 1, that held the 1949 PGA Championship and was designed by Tillinghast and Ross.  Plus, it's only $20 or so.  It's on the north end of Richmond so if the traffic isn't too bad around DC (yeah right) it may only take an hour and 15 minutes.
Also, heading south, maybe the weather will be better.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 09:16:01 AM »
Unfortunately Northern Virginia is rather short on good golf course architecture. The better DF courses include Raspberry Falls, Westfields and Pleasant Valley (10 minutes from Dulles).

I hate to admit this but I actually agree with Mike Cirba...Do not waste your time playing the Norman Course at Lansdowne. However the back nine of the RTJ course is enjoyable while the front is just average.

Raspberry Falls in Leesburg is probably by far the best course ever designed by Gary Player Design (Which is not saying much). Pleasant Valley is bent tee to green and was in great shape when I played it a couple of weeks ago. It is one of the better Tom Clark designs in an area full of Ault, Clark & Associates designs. Laurel Hill which was designed by Bill Love (Formerly of AC&A) is an excellent suggestion. Please do not steal one of the precious "Guard Tower" tee markers.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 09:25:41 AM »
Unfortunately Northern Virginia is rather short on good golf course architecture. The better DF courses include Raspberry Falls, Westfields and Pleasant Valley (10 minutes from Dulles).

I hate to admit this but I actually agree with Mike Cirba...Do not waste your time playing the Norman Course at Lansdowne. However the back nine of the RTJ course is enjoyable while the front is just average.

Raspberry Falls in Leesburg is probably by far the best course ever designed by Gary Player Design (Which is not saying much). Pleasant Valley is bent tee to green and was in great shape when I played it a couple of weeks ago. It is one of the better Tom Clark designs in an area full of Ault, Clark & Associates designs. Laurel Hill which was designed by Bill Love (Formerly of AC&A) is an excellent suggestion. Please do not steal one of the precious "Guard Tower" tee markers.

Rob,

OMG!!!!!    :o

I find myself in agreement with every word in your post!!  

Who came in the night and stole Rob Waldron??  C'mon...fessup!!!  

When the Yin to my Yang becomes all sorts of Yangy, it has to be a sure sign that the Horsemen of the Apocalypse are already saddling up.  ;)  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:26:00 AM by MPCirba »

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 09:30:17 AM »
If you're open to a drive, I'd recommend Mattaponi Springs in Ruther Glen, VA. It’s probably a little over an hour from where you’re staying.

Mike Strantz’s Royal New Kent is within 2 hours as well. Aside from maybe Beechtree and Bulle Rock, it may be the most architecturally intriguing public/resort course within 2 hours of DC.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »

Raspberry Falls in Leesburg is probably by far the best course ever designed by Gary Player Design (Which is not saying much).

I didn't think enough of Rasberry Falls to ever seek out a return engagement.  However, I see they have cheaper rates in the Fall.  It is perhaps worth thinking about playing the back nine twice as it has a handful of good holes.  The front nine isn't terribly exciting.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Andy Hughes

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 01:05:56 PM »
Kalen, if all else fails, the PB Dye course is fun to play and has a number of holes of interest.  I really like the place.  Surprised nobody has mentioned it.  

It also has wood planks in odd places, but it is a Dye course so I guess that's expected

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 01:08:51 PM »
Kalen, if all else fails, the PB Dye course is fun to play and has a number of holes of interest.  I really like the place.  Surprised nobody has mentioned it.  

It also has wood planks in odd places, but it is a Dye course so I guess that's expected

Andy,

Jason actually mentioned this, but it would be fun to play a Dye course as I've only played one other, (by his nephew I think), here in Utah.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »
Oops, so he did. Sorry Jason!

PS To each his own, but if your choice comes down to PB Dye or Raspberry Falls, please make sure you've read Sean's comments re RF.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back