News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re:Toronto GCA December Gathering
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2007, 04:43:46 PM »
Ian
I'll be getting there as close to 6:30 as I can. I couldn't get out of another event around 10:00 that night, so will have to leave earlier than I'd hoped. (Also, my little 16 month old has taken to getting up at 5:00 am these days; I'm glad I've got his 7:00 am hockey games to look forward to :))

Look forward to meeting you all.

Peter

Ian Andrew

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2007, 02:03:42 PM »
Please bring a pencil or pen - or two - if you can remember.

I will have everything else with me for the architecture quiz - including the prize.

Even if you don't win - it should prove facinating -  since I have some very suprising historical photos among the pictures to be used tonight.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 02:04:33 PM by Ian Andrew »

Robert Thompson

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2007, 10:37:53 AM »
Thanks to all that attended -- a good time was had, I believe. Ian Andrew's Canadian golf architecture quiz was particularly inspired.

Hopefully we can do it again in the spring, perhaps as part of a golf outing.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Joe Hancock

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »
Did anyone snap a photo for whatever-ity's sake?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »
I'm sorry I couldn't make it.

Tying another such event into a golf outing is a great idea, Rob. Hopefully we can make that happen.
jeffmingay.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »
For what it is worth, I have it somewhere stuck in a foggy memory that the first ever north American Golf Course Superintendents ("greenskeepers" at the time) around 1920s may have been held in Toronto during winter, and in subsequent years.  I think I read that in the old Ag Library of UW, in an old trade magazine for Greenskeepers that was the predecessor of Golf Course Management Magazine of the modern era.  Can anyone confirm that?  

It just strikes me that there is a winter hot stove kind of tradition there in the great white north, and our friends in Canada are keeping the old spirit going. ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2007, 08:06:28 PM »
For what it is worth, I have it somewhere stuck in a foggy memory that the first ever north American Golf Course Superintendents ("greenskeepers" at the time) around 1920s may have been held in Toronto during winter, and in subsequent years.  I think I read that in the old Ag Library of UW, in an old trade magazine for Greenskeepers that was the predecessor of Golf Course Management Magazine of the modern era.  Can anyone confirm that?  
It just strikes me that there is a winter hot stove kind of tradition there in the great white north, and our friends in Canada are keeping the old spirit going. ;D

I think the best source of this information is likely Gord Witteveen, one of the founders of the CGSA
He can be reached at gordon.witteveen@verizon.net

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
I had a great time...thanks Rob for organizing, and big thanks to Ian for putting together the quiz. I've got the 1935 pic of the 18th at Lookout Point hanging in my office.

Great to see Canada has some very bright up-and-coming architects...Jeremy, Yannick et al.

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2007, 12:28:36 PM »
Thanks Matt.

It was nice seing everybody once again.  I think Robert's idea of doing an outing somewhere near Kingston next summer would be a great one.  Hopefully, we can make it happen.

If any of you guys come up to Montreal, let me know.

And congratulations to Chris for his remarkable score of 37 out of 45 points!

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2007, 10:16:23 PM »
I think Robert's idea of doing an outing somewhere near Kingston next summer would be a great one.
It was on the corner of Kingston Rd ;)  Isn't that good enough

Chris Parker

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2007, 10:39:12 PM »
And congratulations to Chris for his remarkable score of 37 out of 45 points!

Thanks Yannick, but like I said, I lucked out on a couple of those questions.  In my defence, and with all due respect to Ian (thanks again Ian for putting the quiz together!), the quiz was as much historical as it was architectural.  History is my strong suit, not so much architecture.  I particularly had trouble with the "identify the architect" questions.  I was sure Tillinghast was the correct answer for that last question, especially since Ian and Gil recently used a similar grassed-down style for their restoration @ Scarboro.

I'm also an avid reader of Ian's blog, which turned out to be an advantage since, as Ian mentioned, most if not all of the photos had been posted there.

I took the Capilano contruction photo home with me.  I love the shot of those huge tree stumps.  And to think, back in 1936 they were probably still using horses to pull out some of those!

If any of you are interested, keep an eye out for the Mackenzie print on ebay....just kidding Ian!  ;D  I'll treasure it!

Thanks again everyone for a great time!
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 09:07:19 AM »
Thanks to Robert for organizing, and to Ian for the quiz.  I wish I had been there for the first half of it.

I took the Weston photo home with me.  With an inexpensive frame it will make for a good surprise for my dad.  He caddied at Weston as a kid, but the green on the other side of the tressle pre-dates him.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2007, 10:42:55 AM »
Treat getting to know everyone who showed up. Maybe someday we'll know what Cleopatra looked like. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back