News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Dumb blonde golf courses
« on: November 13, 2007, 07:12:30 PM »
I saw Jonathan refer to Old Head as a dumb blonde. I must admit that I loved Old Head. But then again, I like blondes, too...

I played Old Head before I knew a lick about golf course architecture, and I just walked around saying "WOW" all day, so I need to go back and look more closely...

But it got me thinking: are there other "Dumb Blonde Golf Courses" out there?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:12:55 PM by Bill Brightly »

Dan Herrmann

Re:Dumb blonde golf courses
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 07:15:05 PM »
Just to stir up controversy...

ANGC, post-Fazio?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:16:06 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 07:30:07 PM »
Bill,
For me, the phrase originated in Doak's Confidential Guide.
In his Gazetteer section he listed
Arrowhead
North Berwick (East)
Bamburgh Castle
Bodega Harbor
Perry Park
Torrey Pines
Mauna Lani
Garrison
Victoria (BC)
Kinsale
White Columns

Old Head had not been built

Mike McGuire

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:37:56 PM »

The Wynn Club (Las Vegas) has a little dumb blonde in it. All the 4's and 5's have side walls - L & R - on the tee shot. Everything kinda funnels back to he middle. Like bumper bowling.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 07:59:54 PM »
Pelican Hill (both courses) comes to mind, but I enjoyed playing it. I agree with Pete, Torrey probably fits the bill to a tee.

How about Trump in LA?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »
I would agree with your description  of Old Head. Some of the most spectacular vistas in the world but very lacking in substance. Most notably the 17th is arguably one of the worst par fives ever built. Disgraceful that they charge 250-300Euros for the privelege. Give me Bandon at a third the price and five times the experience.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 05:52:21 AM »
Bill,
Arrowhead
North Berwick (East)
Bamburgh Castle
Bodega Harbor
Perry Park
Torrey Pines
Mauna Lani
Garrison
Victoria (BC)
Kinsale
White Columns

I haven't read the Cofidential Guide but it seems almost every time I see it quoted regarding a course in North East England I see something that seems just wrong.  Bamburgh Castleis no great golf course, nor does it claim to be a great golf course.  It is almost certainly one of the top 10 settings in the world for a golf course and, on a fine day, has quite magnificent views.  Is it a dumb blonde, though?  It's only 5,600 yards long (par 68), it's as basic as you could want though well kept.  It has no pro.  It has no pretensions.  I see no similarity whatever with Torrey Pines or Kinsale.

Is Bamburgh Castle beautiful?  Yes.  Is it a great golf course?  No.  Is it a "dumb blond"?  No.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 07:05:28 AM »
Bill,
Arrowhead
North Berwick (East)
Bamburgh Castle
Bodega Harbor
Perry Park
Torrey Pines
Mauna Lani
Garrison
Victoria (BC)
Kinsale
White Columns

I haven't read the Cofidential Guide but it seems almost every time I see it quoted regarding a course in North East England I see something that seems just wrong.  Bamburgh Castleis no great golf course, nor does it claim to be a great golf course.  It is almost certainly one of the top 10 settings in the world for a golf course and, on a fine day, has quite magnificent views.  Is it a dumb blonde, though?  It's only 5,600 yards long (par 68), it's as basic as you could want though well kept.  It has no pro.  It has no pretensions.  I see no similarity whatever with Torrey Pines or Kinsale.

Is Bamburgh Castle beautiful?  Yes.  Is it a great golf course?  No.  Is it a "dumb blond"?  No.

mark, i reckon bamburgh castle fits very much in to the same mould as the east course in north berwick which tom doak also listed above... tom has indicated a fondness for the east course on this site... so i'm guessing his definition of a 'dumb blonde' isn't necessarily as straight forward as a bad course... a course with no architectural thought used perhaps?

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 09:43:37 AM »
Washington National once touted as the next great US Open venue was referred to by a sometimes poster as, 'blond, big hair, nobody home.'  

Looks great but the experience of playing the hole(s) leaves something to be desired.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 10:38:39 AM »
I think it's the phrase "dumb blond".  It suggests to me something flashy which Bamburgh certainly isn't.  If Bamburgh was a woman it might not be bright but she'd have a lovely personality and be beautiful without make up.  Probably in a girl next door sort of way.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 11:47:29 AM »
If the Arrowhead Tom is referring to on his list is the one in Colorado, southwest of Denver, I can see that it would qualify. Gorgeous views, spectacular rock formations, and mediocre golf. I may be alone in saying this, but I found Torrey Pines to be a much better golf course than Arrowhead. Perhaps it doesn't make the most of its beautiful setting, and there are some indifferent holes, but it's not THAT dumb a blonde. Maybe it's because those greens completely befuddled me.........
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back