News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Reno Nevada
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »
a friend asked me for  best designs within  75 miles of  Reno airport. Ive never been there....    ouch

any  help is appreciated

Adam Clayman

Re:Reno Nevada
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:10:18 PM »
It's been alongtime, but, there is a course called Wolf Run that has some interesting stuff. Otherwise, Reno might be the saddest city for quality gca I can think of.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason McNamara

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:40:05 AM »
Mark -

The two that seem to get the most coverage here are Lahontan (very good, very private) and Coyote Moon (public I think, but the web site is so stunningly overdone that it's tough to tell).  If the Tahoe Mountain (CM) people add any more geegaws to the web site, it will look like a dressed-up version of the Golf Channel home page.*

Both of the above are over the state line in Truckee, btw.  Direct shot basically on I-80, 30 miles or so.

There are numerous threads on Reno / Tahoe if you can wring them from the search engine; try for example http://tinyurl.com/2z57yo

Jason

* Attn all golf course web designers: less javascript, less flash, fewer cookies, more info, more pictures.  And no steenking intros or sound fx.

JSPayne

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:37:16 AM »
I've played golf in Reno a few times. Not the best architecture, but there are some fun courses to be had.

Wolf Run, mentioned above, is not a bad course. Not spectacular, but one of the more affordable ones. Also co-designed by John Fleming, son of architect Jack Fleming.

Speaking of John Fleming, his true calling is that of a superintendent, and another course I would recommend is the one he resides over, The Resort Course at Genoa Lakes. I played there less than a year ago, and found the front nine to be spectacular, however the back nine was less enjoyable because it seems they are doing (sadly) quite a bit of home construction, which has left those holes in worse condition. Also, be warned the wind can pick up mightly in the afternoon.

I've also played Lakeridge, which is not extremely memorable with the exception of the long drop-shot par 3 to an island green that has a spectacular view of the Reno valley. No points for GCA, but bonus points for shock and awe. :o)

Another recommendation would be D'Andrea GC. It's been a bit longer since I've played there and the details of the course are lost in my mind, but I remember the overall feeling, that every hole felt unique, beautiful to behold and challenging to play.

Like said above, there's not alot to be said about golf in Reno, but hopefully you can find a few courses to satisfy the itch.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »
Reno is pretty slim on great golf, but Truckee is pretty close and has Old Greenwood and Coyote Moon, of course this time of year they are covered with snow. They usually open in May. Lake Ridge in Reno has a great par 3, but the rest of the course is only fair.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 04:37:56 PM »
Could it be described as The Biggest Little Golf Market in the World?
 ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »
Is the muni, Washoe GC, still open?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:54:41 PM »
Mark:

There's a good bit more to Reno golf than some of the ill-informed comments to date.

Try Arrow Creek -- there's 36-holes present and the Fuzzy Zoellar / John Harbottle 18 called The Challenge is well done and worth a play if you can wiggle an opportunity to play there. The par-72 layout can stretch to over 7,400 yards and there's plenty of details to make your time there a good one.

Lahontan is also a solid design from Tom Weiskopf but it's on the California side of the border. Very playable and fun course.

D'Andrea is a middle-of-the-road layout. Keith Foster has his share of good holes but it's not a layout you would go out of your way to play.

Montreux isn't bad but the amount of trees on a number of the holes can be a bit much.

Try one other layout -- just outside Carson City -- called Sierra and if memory serves Johnny Miller did the layout with Gene Bates. Does a good job with the rolling terrain on one side.

Old Greenwood is also nicely done by Nicklaus and any visit to the Reno area should include a round at Coyote Moon tucked in the mountains on the California side. Genoa Lakes is also worth a look.

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:53 PM »
Mark, I haven't played them myself, but I've heard from a few that Harbottle and Jacobsen's courses at Genoa Lakes are worth a looksy.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back