News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

"My home course" suggestions
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:36:07 AM »
I am in the midst of doing a "my home course".  Do you have and thoughts or suggestions about what is important to include or exclude?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tony_Muldoon

Re:"My home course" suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:48:43 AM »
Tommy I’ve said it before but I think this site should be called www.GolfCourseAtlas.com and that section should be called “My home Club”.

Reason being of course is we are all interested in playing famous courses, and that’s what we mostly talk about, but what I want form you is what it’s like to be a member.  I hope you will tell me a little more about the reasons why you play there, it isn’t always solely about the course.  

It’s a little late for New Year’s resolutions but Ill try and get mine done next month.  For the above reasons I particularly enjoyed the recent addition of Panmure. It was a personal account of being a member there and that's waht I want to read.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:44:50 AM »
Hi Tommy, when I write about golf course, I just try to include context.  This is how I advised my brother, who is writing a MHC on the Cornell Golf Course in NY.

What time was it built in?
What part of the architects career was it built in?
Was it important in his career?  If not, how come?  Is he just a local architect?
How has the course met its stated purpose?  Good members club, as a tournament venue, to sell houses, to be the best around?
How does it fit into its peer course/club group?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
I do see one pitfall, although, knowing where you play, you are not going to fall into it. If you are a member of a nice club, but one on which the architecture is only so-so, are you going to say that the architecture isn't up to much and risk being blackballed by all the clubs in the region? You're not in that position, luckily.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »
Not to be shallow, but pictures help tremendously.

I find it very hard to read a "My Home Course" piece without pictures of the holes.

Paul Carey

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:30:15 PM »
Tommy,

I don't have any great advice other than to write it like Ran does!

More importantly which course are you doing?  Woodmore, Four Streams (my home course as well) or Musgrove?

PC
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:03:26 PM by Paul Carey »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 01:13:03 PM »
Be honest. Tell us what you don't like as well as what you do.

Use active verbs.

Second-guess every adverb and adjective. (From "Theory and Practice of Editing New Yorker Articles," by Wolcott Gibbs, vintage 1930s, point No. 1: "Writers always use too damn many adverbs. On one page recently I found eleven modifying the verb 'said.' 'He said morosely, violently, eloquently, so on.' Editorial theory should probably be that a writer who can't make his context indicate the way his character is talking ought to be in another line of work. Anyway, it is impossible for a character to go through all these emotional states one after the other. Lon Chaney might be able to do it, but he is dead.")

Include a scorecard.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:17:12 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:13:34 PM »
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 05:48:31 PM »
include a routing if you can.  Perhaps an aerial photo, or (if available) the architect's routing drawing.

Some good ideas above.  I appreciate the idea of including the nature of the club, and why it is good to be a member of the club.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
If possible, an aerial from Google with the holes numbered for the routing.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 07:15:50 PM »
Tommy,

I don't have any great advice other than to write it like Ran does!

More importantly which course are you doing?  Woodmore, Four Streams (my home course as well) or Musgrove?

PC

Paul, i am writing it on Musgrove Mill.  I hope to do Four Streams later.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 07:24:07 PM »
My suggestion - invite Ran and pay him to write it for you.  Not to be a brown-noser - but - BOY - does he write well.  :)

I've done the first third of my course.  Now that I'm "recovering" from a finger tendon injury, it's time to get off my tail and get the darn thing done.  Besides, if I don't, Mr. Peabody will send me somewhere bad in the way back machine :)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 07:27:40 PM »
If possible, an aerial from Google with the holes numbered for the routing.

Agreed. That -- along with pars and yardages -- is what I wanted from the scorecard I recommended.

I forgot that a lot of you guys' "home courses" have those fine old, map-free scorecards!

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back