News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Scanlon

Re:Favorite William Flynn Course?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 08:54:58 AM »
I actually think the thing that's holding back Rolling Green is a possible lack of variety. By my count there are 5 doglegs on the back 9 and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember there being any long par 4's (440+ yards).

Steve:

Not sure when you last played RG, but I think the new back tee on 11 stretches that hole to over 440.  It does play down hill on the tee shot so it may not feel like 440+ to long hitters.  

Andy

All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Dan Boerger

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »
FWIW, one man's opinion of  the Philadelphia area Flynn courses on the table ...

Throw a towel over HVCC and Rolling Green. I can't decide. I ALWAYS have enjoyed my time on these two venues.

Next, Lancaster CC, Philly CC and Lancaster and Merion West

Finally, Manny's.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 09:18:12 AM »
I never thought about it before but since this thread is asking I'd have to say my favorite Flynn course is Huntingdon Valley.

It's always been sort of controversial with some but I think I like the very reason it may be controversial---eg basically because it's pretty rare to get a level lie.

HVGC has some of the greatest side to side movement I'm aware of (even though it has a lot of up and down too) and if you think about it that very thing just makes for remarkably thoughtful-provoking golf.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:19:08 AM by TEPaul »

mike_malone

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 10:45:18 AM »
 Steve,

That's the first time I have ever heard that RG may have too many doglegs. In fact, other than the slight dogleg on #2 and #12 you don't encounter a major dogleg until #15.
AKA Mayday

archie_struthers

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 11:27:17 AM »
 :D ;D 8)

Great stuff ....this Flynn guy was really good ...imagine Lehigh didn't even get a plug..no mas redan man?

Don't understand the Shinnecock ban but that's my vote

Next in a blanket finish in Philly....Rolling Green

mike_malone

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »
 Assigning 3 points for #1--2 for #2--and 1 for #3 I come up with the following so far

HVCC---2.75
    RG------2.55
    Mannies 2
    Lancaster 1.75
    PCC-----1.4

AKA Mayday

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 03:21:20 PM »
Assigning 3 points for #1--2 for #2--and 1 for #3 I come up with the following so far

HVCC---2.75
    RG------2.55
    Mannies 2
    Lancaster 1.75
    PCC-----1.4

Michael,

Your logic is skewed by the fact that not all of the respondents have played all of the courses in question.

For instance, has everyone who voted played Lancaster?   Lehigh??  

Also, I think we should clarify that this only involves Flynn's in PA, as I don't think there are many of us who can compare and contrast, say Pepper Pike and Manufacturers.

Whaddyathink?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:21:52 PM by MPCirba »

JESII

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »
no no no you don't...that ranking is final and the balloting should be cut off immediately...how dare you question its veracity...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 03:30:30 PM »
no no no you don't...that ranking is final and the balloting should be cut off immediately...how dare you question its veracity...

Sully,

I have more faith in the accuracy of the results of General Musharraf's propsed Pakistani election in January than I do with a member of Rolling Green at the helm of this tally!  ;)  ;D

JESII

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »
Love it...

One question though...are those points on the Doak scale?

PThomas

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »
If many people like Huntington and Lancaster as much as Rolling Green or even more, then I've got to see HVCC and Lancaster in person.  I'm a huge fan of RG.

I agree...RG is quite good
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

James Bennett

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2007, 05:57:54 PM »
Sully (and others)

If Huntingdon Valley 'wins', the next question is which is the best nine holes at Huntingdon Valley?  Multiple choice really - A, B or C.  From my briefest of visits, I presume that A is on the most challenging of land with the most slope.  My favourite was C, because of the mix in the routing (doubling back on itself, rather than following a loop around the valley).  However, a number of holes on B looked very interesting (I only 'carted' these).

I think my vote is C, then B, then A.

James B
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 05:59:21 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2007, 07:53:13 PM »
Rollng Green - the new superintendent is doing a great job over there.

Lehigh is a very fine golf course.  I absolutely loved the course, despite the fact that it was 105F heat index and we walked with a caddie.

And, as Gil Hanse said in his interview on this site, " Bill Kittleman says that there is more architecture in this course than on the East. "

Here's another part of Gil's interview:
The other factor that I think is at play in Philadelphia is the William Flynn factor. Philadelphia has tended to be very parochial when it comes to the design of its golf courses. Toomey and Flynn were responsible for the vast majority of the 'other' courses in Philadelphia. During the 50's and 60's, the Gordon's and George Fazio designed most of the courses to come on line in Philadelphia during this period. More recently Tom Fazio has returned to his roots, and we have enjoyed a good reputation in our adopted home town. This factor I think has limited the variety of courses in Philadelphia, which may have hurt the overall perception of the courses in this town. While Flynn built many solid designs, none could be called spectacular in the vein of Pine Valley or Merion. This leads to a core group of solid 'second tier' clubs that cannot fail to impress with their design integrity, and they provide the depth of quality in Philadelphia that is lacking in other metropolitan areas.

My Top 5 'aside from Pine Valley and Merion' are

1. Rolling Green - great set of greens and par 3 holes.

2. Gulph Mills - loads of character from Mr. Ross and Mr. Maxwell

3. Manufacturers - cut down some trees and this would go up.

4. Lancaster - great setting with more great greens from Mr. Flynn.

5. Merion West - Bill Kittleman says that there is more architecture in this course than on the East.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:55:41 PM by Dan Herrmann »

mike_malone

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2007, 07:54:41 PM »
 I took an average of the score so it takes into account multiple mentions. If someone comes on and says Pepper Pike is #1 than they would jump into the lead.
AKA Mayday

fred ruttenberg

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2007, 07:57:19 PM »
Lancester is a cut above the other Phila. area tracts. I would put Pepper Pike close. Not enough people have played the course (especially from Phila.) to give the course the recognition it deserves.

LBaker

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
For obvious reasons, HVCC but the nine holes Flynn designed at the Country Club (Brookline) are my favorite.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
James,

The A is actually he easiest of the 3. C by far the toughest (probably in all of Philadelphia).

Lindsey,

Good to see you're alive. Call me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back