News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Doyle

Re:Would you pay the price?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 10:28:26 AM »
Seeing as how I only posted about 15 rounds last year, and this year isn't looking any better, I would do this in a heartbeat.

And I'd pick option A - if only for the first two courses on the list.

Andy

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 11:16:55 AM »
I would pick A and not play a round.

You did say not play a "round" for the year - that would mean I could practice and play partial rounds, right?  Hey, I am lawyer, what can I say...   ;D
Steve Pozaric

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 11:37:38 AM »
A no-brainer; I wouldn't give up a year with my buddies, a year of early morning or late evening walks, a year of club competitions at this late date in my life, for two weeks anywhere.  Life is short, and playing golf on ANY course, is just too much fun and too important to me.

Of the two, I'd take trip A, but not at that price...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike Hendren

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 05:56:15 PM »
I'm in the gross minority in that I would pay the price just to drive down to Augusta and play Augusta National Golf Club twice.

Honestly.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 06:01:02 PM »
I'm in the gross minority in that I would pay the price just to drive down to Augusta and play Augusta National Golf Club twice.

Honestly.

Mike

I hold that as the holiest of all grails also.
There's just no way I'd give up a year of golf to play it.  Once the rounds were over I'd be quite literally dying.

But I do join you in the brotherhood of Augusta admirers.

;D

Tim Leahy

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 07:19:47 PM »
Tom, what if the other option was you had to play the Ranch for the rest of the year? :o
Watch the SC/Stanford game every night? :P
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 10:22:59 PM »
Quick count:

15 take the deal,
12 say no

Dan King

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 10:33:36 AM »
I'd take the deal, assuming I don't have to keep score, hole out every putt, lug around 14 clubs or dress like a golfer.

Cheers,
Dan King
Remember that it is always possible to 'overgolf' yourself. Two
rounds a day is enough for any man with a week or more of solid golf
in front of him.
 --Horace Hutchinson, 1896

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2007, 11:27:15 AM »
No.  Not tempted for an instant.  No-way I could go through a summer without playing golf.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 12:07:40 PM »
Trip B.  For me having 2 daughters, working full-time and going to school part-time in the evenings, This trip will increase my golf for the year.  The only hard decision is A or B.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2007, 12:12:28 PM »
I think I'd ask Wayne if I could join him on trip C, next choice would be B, Then A.  Yes, I'd say Yes to all the options.

Reasons:

I've played no course on C and there are a number I'd really really love to see. I've played a few on the A/B lists, but would gladly go back, even if it meant losing the summer rounds.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

J_ Crisham

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2007, 12:25:55 PM »
Trip A would be a no brainer if one could substitute San Francisco Golf for Pasatiempo-especially after Doak/Urbina complete renovation work. Interested to see the final product at SFGC. Throw in dinner at Scoma's in the Ken Venturi room- a year without playing is a small sacrifice.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »
I'd take the deal, assuming I don't have to keep score, hole out every putt, lug around 14 clubs or dress like a golfer.

Cheers,
Dan King

Whadya mean, not dress like a golfer, the old geezers at the club thought your dress was positively stunning.... but only after I told them that you were the brains and an early backer of Google.

Bob

Dan King

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2007, 08:00:27 PM »
Mr. Huntley writes:
Whadya mean, not dress like a golfer, the old geezers at the club thought your dress was positively stunning.... but only after I told them that you were the brains and an early backer of Google.

Every time you post this story, I move up in the Google hierarchy. I'm looking forward to eventually becoming the third co-founder.

Cheers,
Dan King
Maybe I'm lucky to be going so slowly, because I may be going in the wrong direction
 --Ashleigh Brilliant

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2007, 08:19:21 AM »
And what am I supposed to do with the rest of my weekends that year? Spend time with the wife?  :o

Pass.

Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

George Pazin

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2007, 03:30:55 PM »
Of course, that's a lot more golf than I normally play in a year. I'd be one of the few for whom that would be not just a no-brainer, but an upgrade at that.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back