News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Andriole

Bert Way
« on: November 11, 2007, 08:33:40 PM »
Anyone have information on Bet Way.  He designed Mayfield CC, a fine course in Cleveland where he was head pro  for several decades..  I believe that he was also the designer of the original South course at Firestone whih RTJ overhauled in the 60's.  Did Way design anything else of note??

Billsteele

Re:Bert Way
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 08:54:12 PM »
JG-"Of note," well, probably not. He designed some solid courses in Northern Ohio, such as Aurora Country Club (which I have not played but have heard good things about) and Good Park (a public course in Akron which is okay, nothing terrific, nothing terrible, so probably not "of note").  He also designed a public course in Northern Ohio called Black Brook (which I know nothing about). You are correct that he designed the pre-Trent Jones Firestone South.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:54:53 PM by Billsteele »

Tom Roewer

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »
The website for Black Brook (Mentor, oh)  also gives way credit for Detroit Golf Club.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:57:21 AM »
The Bert Way courses I have played are:

J.E. Good Park GC Akron, OH
Chardon Lakes GC (Original 9 holes) Chardon,OH
Black Brook GC Mentor, OH

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 12:57:45 PM »
Tom,

I'm pretty sure it was Ernest Way, Bert's brother, who designed the original Detroit GC course; then, later, assisted with construction of the new Detroit GC courses, designed by Donald Ross.

Ernest was head pro at Detroit GC at the time.

During his tenure at Detroit GC, E. Way also designed the original Essex G&CC course across the river in Windsor, Ontario, and a few other courses in Michigan.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back