News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Cupit

Re:Tiny bunkers
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 12:13:58 AM »
Tom,
Here's the hole from a different angle--there is a nice mix of sizes and shapes I think.  But I don't think the effect of being in the tiny bunker with the massive one as a backdrop is lessened in any way :)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 04:32:12 PM »
Chris,

Is that a balloon on the pin or a Merion imitation wicker basket?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris Cupit

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 06:14:34 PM »
It is a hand made wicker basket from Charleston, SC.  I was looking through some old golf magazines and came across a Stumpfs Magazine that sold all sorts of golf course equipment.  I was looking for something different for my course and soon realized that "back in the day", pennants, streamers, balls and baskets all adorned the tops of flagsticks--no real standard flag early on.

In this catalog from 1931 or so they even sold "Wicker Balloon Baskets" for $7.50 which look just like those that adorn Merion's East course.  Interstingly, the advertisement trumpeted the fact that the baskets were very visible compared to flags.  

In fact, on a parkland course with very little wind, I suspect the benefit of being able to see the basket as opposed to a limp flag was more of an advantage to some than the disadvantage of not being able to guage the wind!!

On calm days it's easier to hit the basket with your rangefinder too :D :(

Sea Island in Georgia also uses baskets and a public course off of I-85 also used them--Southerness??, maybe.

My baskets are a little different--I use yellow instead of red/orange paint ;) and they are a little larger than Merion's.  We will have Rivermont baskets 2.0 that will continue the weave to the base and perhaps be a little smaller and sturdier.  I have been pleased that our order of 40 baskets has made it through a full season in decent shape!

wsmorrison

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 06:24:39 PM »
Chris,

Those baskets look great.  I really like the yellow.  What is the other color on the pins?  

Flynn had the patent on the baskets at Merion.  I don't think the club used them when the Ardmore course first opened but did so just before the 1916 Amateur.  I'm not sure where the concept came from.  While there is some educated speculation, I don't think any information has come to light that answers that question.

Here is the patent drawing from the approved patent from Feb 1916

Chris Cupit

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 06:38:19 PM »
Very cool--has that patent expired ;D??

We used black and yellow for our colors and the yellow does stand out very well.

I was very curious to see the Merion basket when I played and it seemed much sturdier than mine.  I had to "crib" off of Sea Island's and they just aren't the same!

wsmorrison

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »
Flynn's daughter's attorneys are going to be visiting you tomorrow  ;)

For a time, Winged Foot and Huntingdon Valley used baskets as well.  

mike_malone

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 06:59:15 PM »
 SPDB,

I believe I was in it. Not sure of the number, but  I think it was at the back of the right green in a two green hole. #9 ?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 07:07:00 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 07:46:24 PM »
By the way, Chris, I sure would like to see more photos of your course.  Any chance you might profile it for us?

Chris Cupit

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 09:09:28 PM »
Yep--I just have to get a little better with my pics and finish up my writing.  Here's a link to some pics from my new computer toy!

Sometimes clicking the thumbnails come up bigger than viewing the slideshow:

http://web.mac.com/ctcupit/Rivermont_Pics/Welcome.html

I still have some editing to do and some better pics to insert but its a start.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 11:35:58 PM »
Played a few weeks ago in TN at The Honors Course. I noticed a number of tiny pot bunkers greenside in some unusual spots. About the only thing I  would change from this world class course. As an aside I played with Chris Cupit, who in addition to being a helluva golfer is an even better host and a real hoot to spend a day on the course with.

Jack,
I really like the little volcano pot bunker behind the 6th green.  I assume it's there to theoretically punish the player who is long with his second into the par five, but find it highly unlikely that a ball would roll up and into it through the zoysia.  A little whimsy on a very difficult golf course.

MIke
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

SPDB

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 11:51:36 PM »
SPDB,

I believe I was in it. Not sure of the number, but  I think it was at the back of the right green in a two green hole. #9 ?

BINGO!!!

Actually half bingo. It is behind the left green on 9.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:52:51 PM by SPDB »

Tim Bert

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 11:51:54 PM »
Yep--I just have to get a little better with my pics and finish up my writing.  Here's a link to some pics from my new computer toy!

Nice photos!  Can't wait to read the commentary.

I just visited the web site and the memberships look to be a pretty reasonable deal for the Atlanta area.  How many members are there?  Not trying to pry, so if you aren't comfortable answering on a public forum I completely understand.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 11:58:43 PM »
Played a few weeks ago in TN at The Honors Course. I noticed a number of tiny pot bunkers greenside in some unusual spots. About the only thing I  would change from this world class course. As an aside I played with Chris Cupit, who in addition to being a helluva golfer is an even better host and a real hoot to spend a day on the course with.

Jack,
I really like the little volcano pot bunker behind the 6th green.  I assume it's there to theoretically punish the player who is long with his second into the par five, but find it highly unlikely that a ball would roll up and into it through the zoysia.  A little whimsy on a very difficult golf course.

MIke
Michael,  

I've been there since 1991 and have never seen anyone in that bunker...yet.   I'm supposed to play Sunday and in addition to freezing my nuts off I have now just exponentially increased my chances of hitting it in that little bastard.   :D

G*d I hope it warms up--I can't drink and play.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 12:03:43 AM »

Nice photos!  Can't wait to read the commentary.

I just visited the web site and the memberships look to be a pretty reasonable deal for the Atlanta area.  How many members are there?  Not trying to pry, so if you aren't comfortable answering on a public forum I completely understand.

No problem.  I have 475 full golf members who can play anytime--right now there is a very small (1-2 month) waiting list.  There is a cap of 475 full golf members.  In addition to those members I have 100 senior golf members who are 55 or older and who have weekday golf privileges only.  We'll do about 36,000 rounds this year.

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2007, 10:43:54 AM »

Chris,

Saw the Mont during contstruction but have not been out since. I really love what you Mike have done. Nice job.

Just curious if you know what software Duckworth used to achieve the "oil" look in his photos.

mike_malone

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2007, 10:49:21 AM »
 Oh ! That left .
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2007, 08:53:01 AM »
Sorry for the diversion back to baskets.  San Francisco GC used some sort of basket as well.  Here is a 1927 photo clearly showing the basket.  Maybe Tillinghast exported Flynn/Wilson's concept to the Left Coast.

Other baskets include St. Germain (is this Wisconsin or France?)  

Huntingdon Valley:

Stoke Poges:

wsmorrison

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »
I found this tiny bunker at St. Louis CC.  It is the left side of the par 3 12th, Crater.  Right club, wrong direction.  An example of an engineered look.

Here's a tiny bunker on another course with many large ones.  An example of naturalism even though it is on a site with clay soil.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back