News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Smith

Tiny bunkers
« on: November 11, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »
I was excited to see some bunkers unlike any I had ever seen before at Rustic Canyon last year.  Hardly enough room for both you and your ball to be in there at the same time.  I remember one on the front nine and one on the back.  Geoff and Gil broke the mold there, I wonder what inspired the scale shift.

Anybody seen bunkers built so small before?  Anyone have photos of their favorite small bunkers.

Josh
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 04:05:39 PM by Josh Smith »

Norbert P

Re:Tiny bunkers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:09:37 PM »
Josh, there used to be the "angry man and his niblick" bunker on #18 Bandon Dunes that actually had a rake that was cut down for use.  It may still be there but the rendering shows two bunker where it used to be solo. Anyway, it was a good one with not much of a chance of long advancement.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 02:26:17 PM »
Josh,

the 9th at Kilspindie is a drivable (with the right wind) par four. about thirty yards short of the green is a tiny bunker that from memory can't be much more than 5 or 6 feet in diameter. Dispite it's tiny size because of the slopes around it it seems to gather anything within a large radius. Neither is it deep but it still leaves a semi blind recovery shot to a green quite a bit above you with OOB a little way through the back. I always fall into trying to reach the green, I nearly always end up in the bunker and the only times I seem to make par is if I mishit the drive. I always leave the green vowing to lay up next time but never manage it. Great bunker, great short par 4.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 02:36:47 PM »
Josh,

Interesting post.

We built a number of small bunkers, similar to your description above, at Sagebrush. Thinking quickly, there are tiny bunkers golfers will have difficultly comfortably playing a shot from at holes 1, 2, 3, 7, 14 and 17.

Aesthetically, the tiny bunkers provide nice contrast considering a larger number of MASSIVE sand hazards feature throughout the Sagebrush course!
jeffmingay.com

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 05:24:17 PM »
Played a few weeks ago in TN at The Honors Course. I noticed a number of tiny pot bunkers greenside in some unusual spots. About the only thing I  would change from this world class course. As an aside I played with Chris Cupit, who in addition to being a helluva golfer is an even better host and a real hoot to spend a day on the course with.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 05:55:03 PM »
Not sure about breaking the mold. Pete Dye has built many a small Pot bunker. He even hides them. Perhaps thats where I started to get his humor.
There are others too. Bunkerhill boys built the smallest one I have ever seen on the front ride side of the approach on #9 at Bayside. Heck, Dick Daley made a fantastic up and down par out of it, less than a month ago.

In the image below, The bunker can't be easily seen. It is about four or five feet left of the right greenside bunker. You can barely makeout the tiny depression.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Paul Carey

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 06:00:53 PM »
Jack,

Why would you get rid of these small bunkers at the Honors Course?  They seem like a pretty cool feature.  Do you see them as "unfair"?

PC

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 06:10:56 PM »
Josh,

The one at the 10th at Pine Valley is supposed to be an awesome, tiny bunker.
You guys would all know its nickname.
Kind of a cool feature.

I haven't seen too many really small bunkers, which probably why I like them so much.
Originality.

Cheers,
Jordan

p.s. Josh-  How have you been?  Still painting?  Cheers,
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 06:11:33 PM by Jordan Wall »

SPDB

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 06:47:08 PM »
I like this one, at the rear of a green at a well known course. Bonus points for correctly identifying the hole and the course:

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 07:15:29 PM »
PV #12 is a reasonable guess  ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:16:21 PM by Mark_Fine »

Tim Bert

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »
There were some little ones around the course at Long Shadow.  The one I remember well is the small one in front of the green on #10.  

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 07:36:19 PM »
Paul, I must admit I never had to face ashot from one of the tiny pot bunkers-although I visited my share of the other sandy areas. My point is purely architectural homoginaity. I just didnt feel they were  needed.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 08:59:39 PM »
My favorite on a course that I have played is the one in front of the green on the 2nd at Tobacco Road.  It's like a deep crease or fold in the earth.  I have only played there once but I hit an approach on the front of the green with too much spin and it ended up in the bunker and then my first bunker shot, which I thought was decent, came back into the bunker.

I haven't played PV yet but the Devil's Sphincter comes to mind.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 09:10:30 PM »
#5 at Grand Island

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

SPDB

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 10:30:30 PM »
PV #12 is a reasonable guess  ;)

Mark:
It is quite reasonable. Right course, wrong hole, though. I think I know the bunker you are talking about (left of 12 green), and this one is smaller.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 10:31:59 PM by SPDB »

CHrisB

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 12:17:24 AM »
I like this one, at the rear of a green at a well known course. Bonus points for correctly identifying the hole and the course:

SPDB,
Is that the one at Pine Valley that is behind #13 green on the way to the regular 14th tee? If so, then the only reason I recognize it is because I almost fell into it once walking backwards off the back of #13 green.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 03:18:56 AM »
Smallest I've seen and probably the toughest to beat, if I remember correctly, was a 2-foot by 1 foot scrape with a little hump in front of it behind the 3rd green at Old Marsh.

Just google-earthed it and it looks like it's gone. Someone probably took a divot and filled in the bunker.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 03:19:19 AM by Tony Ristola »

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 08:01:30 AM »
Josh:

There has been some discussion with and amongst those who built Rustic Canyon about the philosophical utility of small bunkers in various places.

The theory is that if a bunker is small enough and placed in such a way that it becomes something of a "line of charm" thing with enough non-risk space around it a golfer will be more likely to take responsibility if he gets in it.

It's an interesting theory and philosophy and one I'd expect can have its intended effect. The key is not necessarily that it's small but the placement of it and the amount of non-risk area around it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:03:03 AM by TEPaul »

Matt MacIver

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 09:22:22 AM »
I like the "sliver" bunker on #17 at HarbourTown.  It's not tiny, but rather long and narrow.  If you're in it most likely there's only one direction you can play out of it -- regardless of where the flag is.  

My father-in-law found it and had to play away from the flag, then made a nice 15-fter for par.  A great 1/2 shot penalty bunker.  

SPDB

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »
Chris:
Not the 13th either.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 10:36:47 AM »
Did anyone else think of Don Ho when seeing the title of this thread?

Tiny bunkers, in the line.
Makes me happy, makes me feel fine.
Tiny bunkers, makes me warm all over.
With the feel'in that I won't blame the archie till the end of time.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Daryl David

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 12:08:25 PM »
I did, but I wasn't going to admit it.   ;D

Mark Smolens

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »
As I recall, I hit into a bunch of tiny, hidden bunkers in a rain-soaked round at Southerness.  Most would not let you advance the ball in the direction you wanted, and a couple required one foot outside.  We had no caddies (only two golfers on the course were me and a friend. . . our third declined, staying back at the B & B to drink tea and read).  One of best days of a 9-day trip.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 09:19:11 PM »
Here's one at Rivermont.  BTW, there is sand at the bottom of that...thing and it's NOT the smallest bunker on the course.  Of course I'm biased but I love the juxtaposition of its size with the 6,000 sq. ft. monster in the background  :D

TEPaul

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 07:19:35 AM »
Chris:

Personally I'm glad to see an architect mix up the look and style of bunkering as dramatically as was done on that hole just above. I'm afraid, however, that some might say the one is too "out of character" with the other.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:20:28 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back