News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re:Finally Going to Scotland
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 01:06:38 AM »
I am about as close to my Dad as anyone can be.  He is one of my three heroes.  The other two are my children.  I did not take my Dad on a golf vacation until he was 85.  We went to Northern MI to play Crystal Downs and the Kingsley Club.  They were the best three days I had spent in many years.  As I look back on those days, it didn't make any difference where we played.  We could have played in a cherry orchard.  You have a lot of suggestions for where to play.  Any of them will yield a good trip.  What will make the trip great is not how or where you play but with whom you are playing.  The most special times in my golfing life have been with my son. Enjoy the courses you play but cherish the moments with your Dad more.  The courses will still be there long after your Dad isn't

Have a great trip. And regardless of what the thread on pictures says, take some.  You will treasure those more than any scorecard of sweater you might purchase.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 05:10:03 AM »
Hi Bill

We most likely won't make it to the World Cup but we are going down to Shanghai this week to see the HSBC Champions tournament (www.hsbcgolf.com), which has a great field: Mickelson, Els, Cabrera, Vijay, Goosen, Harrington. Also going to watch Federer and Nadal at the Masters Cup. Big weekend of sport in Shanghai!

It's our wedding anniversary too this weekend. Don't I have an understanding spouse, to agree to a weekend of watching world class sport as an anniversary getaway?!

We'll probably be here in China another year or so. Looking to get back to Scotland next spring but haven't made any plans yet. I take it you didn't get your spots on the ballot?

Regards

Matt

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »
We'll probably be here in China another year or so. Looking to get back to Scotland next spring but haven't made any plans yet. I take it you didn't get your spots on the ballot?

No, we did not get on via the early application, but will try the ballot and early show up routes.  The good news is we will be in Dornoch for four days and have tee times on RDGC 2X and Nairn once.  Will play Brora, Tain and Golspie too during those four days.  Then we play Cruden Bay on Saturday p.m. en route St Andrews.  

We will join the Buda Cup festivities after that whilst in Fife.

Life is good!  ;D 8)

Happy Anniversary!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:19:22 PM by Bill_McBride »

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 08:25:52 PM »
Bill,
You might want to throw in Fortrose as an afternoon round
while you're there.
Perhaps coming back from Nairn or after Tain.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
And maybe after picking up the rental cars in Inverness if we are there early enough.  It certainly looks like fun!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »
I'm most likely going to be arriving a few hours ahead of the rest of the crew and had been hatching a plan to stop off at Fortrose & Rosemarkie for a warmup round on the way from Inverness to Dornoch that Monday morning. Subject of course to finalization of my travel plans over the next few weeks.

Then again, once I get within 20 miles of Royal Dornoch I may not have the self control to do anything other than trying to get a game there as directly after arrival in the Highlands as possible. Lord knows I've been waiting long enough to see that great course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 08:56:11 PM »
Brent - on the Tuesday we are 9 a.m. on the Struie, 2 p.m. on the Dornoch championship course.  Wednesday at Nairn 10:30 a.m. Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 8 a.m. two balls at Dornoch championship course.  All good stuff!  ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 08:18:48 PM »
Tim,
   I cannot recommend highly enough that you go to North Berwick. If you like quirk and flat out fun it is your place. If you like championship tests then Carnoustie may be the way to go.
   As all others have stated TOC is a must on your first pilgrimage, and as Bill McBride pointed out walking TOC on Sunday when it is closed is a great idea. Don't forget to check out the Himalayas putting green. I totally spaced on that when I was there. You will be there around the time I was on my trip and I was able to golf 36 holes on the same day on TOC, so don't worry too much about getting on. I think that time of year the tourists haven't gotten in full swing yet.
   Have fun planning.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back