News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Do Brits site their greens differently?
« on: November 09, 2007, 02:14:30 PM »
I have played quite a bit in Britain and love to see pictures of British courses like the current one on Crowborough Beacon, which I have not played.  It just seems to me that generally greens are sited a bit differently in GB&I.  I am specifically thinking of inland courses.  There seem to be more sited on knobs or on hillsides with one side of the green sloping away dramatically.  We have them in the states but not to the same extent.

Is there some truth to this or am I imagining things?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:15:26 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete Lavallee

Re:Do Brits site their greens differently?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »
Tommy,

Two words: natural drainage!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:28:11 PM »
Tommy,

It's not a general trend that I'm conscious of but there'll be other Brits on here who have played many more courses than me.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:01:06 AM »
Tommy,

I can not make a proper assesment as my knowledge of US golf courses is fairly limited. I however suggest that in addition to Pete's comment, which is spot on if there is a difference then it maybe due to a general attitude difference and a monetary one aswell.

It seems to me that in the US there is more preoccupation with fairness and maybe a higher desire to 'fit the punishment to the crime'. In britain there is more of a 'take it as it comes' even if it seems unfair. By this I mean if you hit a ball that finishes 10 yards right of the green in the only clump of long grass do you a) find the manager at the end of the round and complain bitterly about it or b) think next time you need to avoid it?

Secondly, in the US there are far more high end builds than in britain meaning slopes can be 'fixed'. Even in britain there has been an increase in the amount of high end builds in recent years but these projects are all aimed at the high end customer which is not as compatible with the golfing mentality in britain as maybe in other parts of the world. These projects have been built on the back of the golf tourism boom from US visitors and some may suffer the same fate as many similar projects built in the late 80's when the market failed to reach their expectations.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 08:31:47 AM »
Tommy, I'm sure that most of the courses you are thinking of are old - at least pre WWII.  Largely they'll have been built with the minimum of earth moving on a pretty low budget, even though the early members of these clubs will have been from the professions. They probably had good natural sites on which to lay out their courses and, as at Crowborough, they used the indigenous features well.

I think if you looked at many contemporary courses in Britain, but NOT at the high end, you would see some very dull design, because they no longer have access to the best sites - they've already been used.

A local example is Heyrose, which has been developed bit by bit over twenty years and is improving all the time. At first the greens were very basic - just an extension of the fairway, but slowly they are replacing greens, one or two a year, with more constructed ones. They'll never be as interesting as those about which you are thinking because the site simply doesn't have the potential.

And, of course, when those classic courses were built there were so many wonderful architects working in Britain who had such imagination - they would surely have stood out in any age.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:41:32 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back