News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Minnesota Valley (Raynor ) ?
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:10:19 AM »
I think Raynor , Banks or Ralph Barton  worked here. Many  courses in twin cities area have splendid rolling  land,  are the terrain  and  the  greens at this Blooomington  course worthy of study ? Any restoration  going on.

thanks
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 01:40:00 PM by mark chalfant »

John_Conley

Re:Minnesota Valley (Raynor)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »
I think Raynor  or Banks  worked here. Many  courses in twin cities area have splendid rolling  land,  are the terrain  and  the  greens at this Blooomington  course worthy of study ? Any restoration  going on.

I have seen this credited to Seth Raynor.  I e-mailed George Bahto a few years back and he told me there was a field employee of Raynor's that was probably on-site and did most of the work.  Having a sense of humor he put the Biarritz green on a par 4 and not the natural choice of the very long par 3.

"Worthy of study"?  Well, I think there is a reason you haven't heard much of this course.  It is good.  Not great.  Raynor's best in the area is Somerset, which is superb.

I could cite holes for you at Minnesota Valley but they've changed the sequencing a lot.  I don't know which holes are which now.  I used to play there in the late 80s and early 90s - before it was so important to know who designed what.  Frankly, I was surprised to learn that Raynor is credited.  Then I remembered the 7th green (friend used to joke that the course got its name from the swale) and very long par 3 11th.

Minnesota Valley is a rung down from better area courses like Golden Valley, White Bear, Minikahda, or Somerset.  I'll even say I think Eau Claire is a better course.  Study that one if you are in the area.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:27:44 AM »
I found this description of the holes on their web site.

http://www.mvccgolf.com/uploaded_images/file_1133976656.pdf

I would like to second John's comments that Somerset is worth a look.  I have not played MN Valley in years and Somerset may not be all Raynor but it is worth a look.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:52:59 AM »
While not in the same league as Somerset, I really enjoy Minnesota Valley.  The terrain is terrific although I doubt the soil is ideal.

It does not provide very good examples of the template holes.  For example, its redan does not slope front to back or much from right to left.  

Nonetheless, they have done a fair amount of bunker renovaton and tree removal work over the last 10-15 years and the result is an enjoyable test of golf.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:56:28 AM »
The club website is pretty good and includes this guide to playing the course that I refer to before going there.

http://www.mvccgolf.com/uploaded_images/file_1133976656.pdf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back