News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Can you name this course?
« on: November 09, 2007, 03:26:38 PM »

Bill Brightly

Re:Can you name this course?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »
Hint #1

Former and future Open course

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:39:30 PM »
Is it near San Francisco?
Mr Hurricane

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 03:42:26 PM »
That's one of those old Native American-named courses, isn't it?:
Penaltystrokefortestingsurfaceinbunker if I'm not mistaken.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:12:13 PM »
That would be Saucon Valley (Old Course).  When did they start allowing shorts?

The first picture is of #18...used to love hitting this approach shot late in the day with everyone watching from the patio.

The second is the dogleg left par 5 #15...great hole!  Used to live just through the trees to the right of this hole.  

Looks like Rees finished up the bunker work.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:52:51 PM »
Alas, MGB, you are mistaken. A player may take anything into a hazard and set it down in tht ehazard so long as nothing is done to test its condition. No penalty here.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:06:40 PM »
Alas, MGB, you are mistaken. A player may take anything into a hazard and set it down in tht ehazard so long as nothing is done to test its condition. No penalty here.

Jim

Never mind the club - I have seen a guy call someone for testing the sand by dropping a rake in the bunker - no lie!  To be honest it appeared as though the chap was guilty.  I couldn't put my finger on it, perhaps the way this guy had a habit of throwing the rake into a bunker yet watching the rake rather than doing it without paying much attention.  In a proper match, I never place the rake in the bunker anymore.  I spose the point is if you take something into the bunker you leave yourself open to be accused.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:07:32 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 06:07:34 PM »
Correct, Saucon Valley Old Course!   Also correct on hole #s.

Two past US Senior Opens and future 2009 US Womens Open.

Shorts allowed 3 years ago!

Tom Fazio just did the bunkers, not Rees.

Also correct, you CAN bring clubs into trap, you can throw your whole bag in there! Just dont test the sand!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:08:30 PM by Bill Brightly »

Brian Laurent

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 06:20:08 PM »

Tom Fazio just did the bunkers, not Rees.

My mistake!

Do you know if they plan on changing the sequence of the back nine again for the ladies in 09?  IMO, 12 does not make for a memorable finishing hole.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:00:11 PM »
Brian,
Yes, I hear they will reverse the inside/outside loops on back nine and use the normal #12 as #18. My understanding is that they need the room behind 12 for the big grandsatands requied for an 18th hole. The clubhouse is too close to the normal 18.

But wait until you see the new 12th! (18 in the open) In my opinion, this was the most dramtic and best change made by Fazio. (I love 15, too,) Driving area lengthened and expanded to the right,many trees removed, all new bunkers on inside of dogleg. Sorry, I don't have pictures, but is such a much better hole now.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 10:07:52 PM »
I do need to get over there and see the changes.

Did Fazio's work include anything with the greens?   They were always the best part of that course.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:29:57 PM »
Mike

Three greens were re-done: #3, #10 and #14. (I dont think there were any others...)

#10 an #14 were greens that have severe back-to-front slopes, and with today's green speeds, had very few pinnable loactions. So they re-did these greens, taking some of the slope out, and greatly increased the number of pinnable locations. If you know these holes, IMO, they returned them to the playability that Strong had in mind: still PLENTY of slope to deal with, still really important where you leave your ball, but very fair golf holes without some of the goofiness that you could get with "too fast greens" if you know what I mean.

#3, they had big problems with stream overflowing its banks and washing out front bunker, so they took out the bunker, raised the area and  brought the green back closer to the stream. Now there is now a real scary set of front pin locations.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 10:40:29 PM »
I look forward to seeing the changes...I haven't been back in about 5 years.  

Here's my favorite photo of #15, from 1992:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back