News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Erin Hills #4, 5 and 6
« on: November 07, 2007, 07:25:30 AM »
I like this stretch of holes in that it is a relaxing reprise as you become accustomed to the scale of the property.  The drive on 4 is interesting because of the right hand bunker which is fun to challenge if you like hitting a wedge to a punchbowl green...and who doesn't?

I think the fith tee might be the first chance I got to see the monestary on the distant hill.  For me it is as breathtaking as seeing the Sears tower from Beverly.  I can't help it...I just love man made mamoth structures against the panorama of a golf horizon.  The fith hole ends up giving the player a blind shot to a green that is subltley difficult as I believe we had 12 putts between us for our only best ball bogey of the day.

The 6th is a moderately uphill par three of midiron length with a false front green followed by a front to back slope.  It is simply a distraction on the way to the Dell Hole.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:28:15 AM by John Kavanaugh »

JESII

Re:Erin Hills #4, 5 and 6
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:52:52 AM »
Running out of steam?

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:05:43 AM »
apparently a thousand words aren't worth a picture ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 10:03:14 AM »
Fairway at the fifth:

Tee shot at the uphill sixth:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:35:06 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 10:06:36 AM »
Running out of steam?
JES II,
   He still owes me a list of 100 better golf values than Wild Horse from over 2 years ago that isn't complete.

Cheers,
Brad

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 10:47:39 AM »
Brad,

Owe?  Wherever we are on that list you can add Lawsonia.  It was a great value at $25 including cart.  I won't include this on the Wild Horse comparison but Erin Hills at their fall rate of $95 was even a better value than Lawsonia.  Like I even paid....

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:59:34 AM »
I'm enjoying the series, nice to see anyone flesh out a course.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brad Swanson

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »
George,
   I'm actually enjoying it too.  I have yet to venture over to EH despite its proximity for numerous reasons, but I expect I'll play there next year.  Discussion of courses that don't get the unamimous GCA rubber-stamp of approval is more entertaining and educational IMHO, and I think Erin Hills is far from a rubber stamp thumbs up from the opinions I've heard here and elsewhere.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:25:34 AM by Brad Swanson »

Dan Moore

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »
On 4 we played the 372 yard blue tee which put the right fw bunker at 256.  Some really nasty greenside bunkers on the right give the hole some teeth.

Here is a view from the start of the fairway.

On 5 I initially thought blue 443 but changed to green 366 on the tee in an effort to keep the centerline bunker in play at 266.  I think the second group played blue.  From the green tee with a helping wind we all easiliy carried the centerline bunker and had open shots to the green.  From my look back it appeared none in John's group made it to the bunker which is 322 from the blue tee and as a result had blind second shots.  I think they need a new tee here somewhere in between those two.  

View from right of the tee shot angle.

Six has a neat green with a large false front with the bulk of the green then falling away from you.  From the blue 188 or green 172 tee much of the green surface is not visible.  I really like the view from the more elevated black tee where you can see most of the green.  I hit a 3 wood from the black 236 tee and that may be where I play it from now on.  While not as terrifying as the 14th at Portrush its a strong hole from there and with the length of the par 5's may be the only long approach shot to a green all day.  

Here's a view from the black tee I cribbed from Jason Blasberg's series of photos.

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 04:50:58 PM »
One of my playing partners knocked his second in for eagle on #5. To say he let out a shout and did a dance would be an understatement.
Mr Hurricane

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 04:56:23 PM »
One of my playing partners knocked his second in for eagle on #5. To say he let out a shout and did a dance would be an understatement.

Did he do it from a blind area.  I was below the fairway bunker and could not even use the steeples as guidelines.  Fry of course knocked it past the bunker and I think had a visible shot.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 12:21:50 AM »
#6 is by far the best par 3 on the course, maybe the best hole.  The skyline green with the false front is a fascinating target from any of the tees.  Three of our group were suckered into hitting tee shots far past the pin (which was set up front on the very deep green) or over the green and had lots of work left to make a respectable score.

The fourth player left his tee shot properly placed just in front of the green, proclaimed himself a Real Man of Genius, then proceeded to 3-putt from there.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 07:58:34 AM »

Did he do it from a blind area.  I was below the fairway bunker and could not even use the steeples as guidelines.  Fry of course knocked it past the bunker and I think had a visible shot.

He was just left of the bunker and had a good view. The pin was in front and we watched it bounce and roll right into it.
Mr Hurricane

Dan Moore

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 12:06:47 PM »
The Real Man of Genius on 6 after after his 1st putt.  For the record his putt was inside my chip (seen in the foreground) from off the back of the green.   ;D

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 12:07:16 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Phil McDade

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 12:11:12 PM »
The most impressive site is Terhorst playing in his shirtsleeves on a November day in Wisconsin. Golf in the nation's Dairyland -- a 12-month sport.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 12:13:15 PM »
I like how you can see us approaching six tee in the background of the picture.  I will say that I appreciated the wait we had on most tees as I needed the rest and they provided excellent benches in all the right places.

I three putted from the same spot after at one time being told great shot before my ball rolled all the way back just off the green.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 01:29:02 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Ken Fry

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 01:22:48 PM »
On hole #5, I got a most fortunate bounce over the center trap on my drive.  I did have a clear view at the green and hit either an 8 or 9 iron.

Has anyone else struggled reading the green on #5?  It looked like each putt I had was uphill until it went racing by the hole!

Ken

Dan Moore

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 01:42:58 PM »
I can now see there is a mistake in the yardage book for hole #5.  They say the centerline bunker is 266 from the green tee but the green is 176 from the same spot.  The green tee is 366 yet 266+176 is 442.  That explains why all of us in the first group flew that bunker easily from the green tee.  The hole should be played from the blue tee like the second group did where the bunker would be 266 out with the blindness created by the undulation in play.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 01:45:33 PM by Dan Moore »

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 01:46:36 PM »
Dan, that pic is after RMoG's second putt.  He had to make that putt in the pic for bogey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back