News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Nassau CC (Emmet) in ny
« on: November 05, 2007, 08:47:19 AM »
Is anyone familiar with this long island course  from the 1920s. In addition to Emmet , Herbert Strong and  Raynor may have  had input to some holes.Nassau CC is often overlooked due to its proximity to  Piping rock and The Creek, neverthless is there some good terrain or  outstanding holes worthy of study

thanks

Jeff Spittel

Re:Nassau CC (Emmet) in ny
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 09:28:55 AM »
One of my friends joined last year and I got a chance to play the course on a frigid day last December. I was generally impressed with the layout and the course boasts nice rolling topography.

They were restoring the bunkers and redesigning a couple of holes when we played it. I'd be interested to hear how the changes looked this summer. I'm also looking forward to playing the course when I have feeling in my extremities.

Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:46:57 AM »
Nassau is an interesting place.  It has an unusual 6600 yard par 70 configuration of 14-4's, 3-3's, and 1-5.  The architecture is very interesting however.  Obviously with the abundance of par 4's you can get an amazing variety of long and short holes.  I find the greensites to be particularly well done.  I especially liked the uphill stadium green.  Very cool!
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

mark chalfant

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:04:52 PM »
jeff and Dean

thanks for your replies, I think Pete Dyes niece, Cynthia,  did some bunkering at NCC recently.  im curious if certain par fours, short or long, are especially memorbale

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 11:45:45 PM »
Some of the wonderful work resulted in creating a mediocre par 5 and an imitation Augusta #12 par 3 that can be seen on the par 5 post

Gerry B

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:34:42 AM »
and it is where the "Nassau" in golf betting was 1st introduced if i am not mistaken

JMorgan

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »
It's a huge stretch to call Nassau an Emmet course.  The 1899 course went through minor changes almost immediately, and at least three redesigns btw. 1911-1915.  Emmet was hired in 1920 and made some modifications, but the club felt that not much could be done to improve the course unless they purchased more land.  After the club reorganized and refinanced, it purchased another 22 acres at the end of 1922, and brought in Strong to do a redesign.  Strong's scheme remained intact until the mid-90s.

George_Bahto

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:03:12 PM »
Mark: Seth Raynor worked on one hole - the 5th. I think it is one of the finest greens he ever built.

Info on this can be found in Bill Quirins fine b\ook on Met area golf courses.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back