News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Don Dinkmeyer

Scotland/Ireland Combo
« on: November 05, 2007, 01:34:47 AM »
I am admittedly not a heavy contributor to this board but when I read (often) and post (infrequent) it is always entertaining and more important, golf-specific!

What is recommendation if one is in Ireland and then wants to combine 3-6 courses in Scotland. Say you do have 2 weeks for all of it (you're retired or won the lottery).

Most interested in the logistics of transport as well as course rec's. eg - Macrahanish (sp?) is in the middle of nowhere right and not near the other highly ranked courses.

I've been to Ireland but not Scotland. Time to get the combo :)

Thanks!

Kevin Pallier

Re:Scotland/Ireland Combo
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 02:25:50 AM »
Don

Numerous threads on Scotland & Ireland recommendations.

Flying v driving obviously would save time but one thing I did in my car travels in '99 was catch a ferry after visiting the gems on the W-coast of Scotland eg: Prestwick, Troon, etc from Cairnryan to Larne in NI which provided easy access up the Antrim Coast to Royal Portrush or alternatively down to RCD / Dublin

Suggest you check out the alternate routes eg: Dublin and Stanrear then traverse across to east coast of Scotland. I'd focus on St. Andrews and East Lothian as great east coast Scottish regions - plenty of great courses in there.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:47:28 AM »
Yes, you can fly from Dublin to Edinbugh for next to nothing, and it's not far from Edinburgh to St Andrews and all those courses.

John Marr(inan)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:38:17 AM »
fly to dublin, hire a car, think about portmarnock, the island and county louth... travel northwards and do county down and portrush, then get the ferry over to stranraer and do turnberry, prestwick and western gailes... then drive over to fife and do the old course and kingsbarns before heading to north berwick and muirfield and flying back to dublin from edinburgh...

...this actually provides you with no long drives whatsoever...

...so you're missing the SW of ireland and a whole heap more but you can't do it all...

...other options are of course to spend a whole week in st andrews which may be more relaxing and twice as much fun

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:12:22 PM »
Gentlemen, thank you - as requested, i am looking for specific info on the logistics and do/don't of the combination.

There is such a wealth of course-specific and in-country itineraries that I already am working off those.

Again, thank you!

Daryl David

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »
Don,

Two years ago I organized a trip that began in Dublin, moved on to Northern Ireland, then to Scotland for East Lothian and the St. Andrews area.  It was ambitious to say the least.  IM me if you would like a detail of the schedule.

Daryl

Bill Gayne

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 07:17:02 PM »
There used to be a daily flight from Shannon to Prestwick that was dirt cheap. I paid 44 euros roundtrip including taxes. You may want to check if Ryanair is still flying that route.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back