News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re:There's a darn good golf course under there... Cobb's Creek
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 02:42:42 PM »
Mike Cirba,

I'm salivating at the thought of doing that, I'm in. I'll ride slot.

Geoff and Mayday,

Perhaps I am letting my view of the setting (and relatively poor condition of the hole in general) cloud my judgment. I do hope to get down there before the winter again and will certainly take a closer look.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 02:44:54 PM »
My Strong Sense is that some of the Karakung holes nearest the clubhouse were part of the original Cobbs routing.

Gentlemen, we have a winter mission if we choose to accept it.  We need to get our butts down to the Hagley Museum and find out the definitive early routing of Cobbs Creek, as well as Karakung.

Who's in?

Geoff Shackelford's Golden Age of Golf has a picture of the original 12th green at Cobb's which I am assuming is today's 3rd green. Geoff lists the hole as a par 3 in the caption, if so, I would imagine other holes were chopped up in similar fashion.

I do see what you're saying, though, Mike. If the 3rd green was the old 12th, how else did things go?

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 02:59:27 PM »
On the other thread that I posted the link to, Mike C. listed out the original holes in the routing that still exist in some fashion:

"They keep changing the starting hole everytime I'm there, but if the two holes on the clubhouse side of the road are 17 & 18, then the original Wilson holes are 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 15, 16, and 18."

Given the current routing (with the two holes by the clubhouse as #1 & #2), the #'s would be 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 17 & 18).

wsmorrison

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 04:36:49 PM »
Mike Cirba,

I'm all for going to the Hagley to find out what the photos of Cobbs Creek show.  I don't know what year they are but I would call Barb Hall at the museum and have her find out and maybe send some photocopies so we can decide what to look at either there or have prints made and sent.  I'll call her tomorrow if you like.

Craig Disher may have some photos.  I'll give him a call, too.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 04:53:07 PM »
Wayne/Kyle/Geoffrey,

Sounds great!!

I smell "Road Trip"!  ;D

wsmorrison

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2005, 05:18:58 PM »
Craig has some photos of Cobb's Creek.  Likely they're no earlier than late 1930s up to 1951 or so.  At least the National Archives stuff I've seen from Craig are from these dates.

I think if he has time tonight he's going to post them.

Craig Disher

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2005, 05:50:42 PM »
I'm short on time and my ftp site is not responding. I have a 1937 aerial of Cobb's and determining the routing from it isn't a simple matter. There are 3 greens across the road - I assume they are the ones for #17 and the 2 #18s. On the clubhouse side of the road I can see #1, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #11, #12, and #13 greens. There is a wide expanse between 5/6 and 11/12 where it's hard to see what's there. Clearly there are golf holes but the greens are not easily visible.

The area to the west of 17-18 is wooded and doesn't appear to have any golf holes.

I'll be away for a few days - perhaps when I get back you all will have this figured out.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2005, 09:26:57 PM »
Gents

Add me to the list for the road trip to Hagley. I'm still trying to find the disc of my pics from my 2003 visit to Cobbs. They're not on my computer for some reason.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2005, 10:19:36 AM »
Craig,

Now you have me really, really curious.

Incidentally, the Karakung course opened in 1927 but I'm almost sure the Hagley has some aerials from before then.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2005, 10:28:19 AM »
Mike/Craig,

Likewise, those were not the holes I would have attributed to Wilson, cept for the ones around the creek.

I really need to see this.

wsmorrison

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2005, 11:05:22 AM »
I put a call into Barb Hall at the Hagley and left a message regarding the dates and number of photogaphs of Cobb's Creek in the Dallin Collection.  I'll get back to you when I get her return phone call.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2005, 04:29:29 PM »
Here are a few more photos of our recent trip to Cobb's Creek, I preface these by apologizing because I'm not a very good photographer.

The green on #4, a good example of the current conditions at Cobb's Creek

The tee shot on #9, a great little short uphill par 4

The green on #9, taken from behind the green looking at the back bunker

#10 green with an imposing front bunker which would make this hole great if restored

#16, Steve informed me this bunker is a shadow of it's former self, the bunker is what really make this short dogleg right par 4 interesting.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

wsmorrison

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2005, 01:44:49 PM »
Barb Hall just got back from vacation and called me with information on the Cobb's Creek photos at the Hagley.  

The obliques are:

(2) 1928, one includes the pool so perhaps not much of the golf course

(3) 1930

(1) 1935

(1) 1939

There are also (3) verticals from the late 1930s or early 1940s

Barb is off Wed. Sept 14th thru Wed. Sept. 21 but the curator, John Williams, will be there while she is gone.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »
What's the next step for us?  I am more than willing to join someone on a road trip to the museum or help out in any way I can.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 12:24:21 PM »
With the Urban Legends thread kicking around, I thought I'd give this a bump.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2006, 12:37:18 PM »
Did anybody make it to the Hagley?

Last time I checked... it's winter out.  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 03:42:17 PM »
Kyle/All,

Let's set a date.  I think I can do about anything but next Saturday.

We'll grab that working man Wayne Morrison, too.

wsmorrison

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »
I am finding it difficult to make time these days for golf related projects with the new job and all but I am interested in getting to the Hagley again.  It is open 8:30-4:30 M-F and the second Sat of every month 9-4:30.  It is possible to order the photographs from the Hagley if you want to concentrate on Cobbs Creek GC and we can meet somewhere without the time constraints dictated by the museum.  Just a thought.  Another is to have Craig Disher involved since he is so good at interpreting this sort of photographic evidence.  He has some 3-D software that will amaze.

redanman

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2006, 12:43:29 PM »
someone please let me know if a group is heading out

Kyle Harris

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2006, 07:24:51 AM »
This road trip still has to happen.  :P

Kyle Harris

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 09:43:07 PM »
Bump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back