News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Martin Del Vecchio

Renovation at Salem?
« on: November 02, 2007, 08:53:26 AM »
So my neighbor who built an abomination of a house directly between my house and the ocean casually mentions to me that he is a member at Salem Country Club.  I mention I haven't played there, and that I have loved the other Donald Ross courses that I have played.

He tells me that they just finished a renovation.

I can't find any information about on GCA, or anywhere else.  Did this happen?  Who did it.  Has anybody here seen it?

And would it be appropriate for me to play there with him, given that I hate what he has done to my property?  Completely blocking my ocean view?  And did I mention that they only live here for 5 months of the year, and live in Florida the rest of the time?  And that the house blocks my view even while they are in Florida?  And that they blasted for three months so that they could fit a third floor in?  Etc?

jeffwarne

Re:Renovation at Salem?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:07:45 AM »
Perhaps you should practice your punch 3 irons over the winter-toward the ocean!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 09:08:09 AM »
Hi Martin,

I always thought they had some work done, but in my several plays over there, I just figured it was master plan-type work.  They have done the tree clearing, bunker-maintenance, and remowing the greens to their original edges that many Golden Age clubs have done in the last few years.  I think much of it was in relation to the hosting of the Senior Open in 2001.  Interestingly enough, the winterkill from the 00-01 winter almost killed all of their greens only a couple months before the tournament.

The biggest "change" I saw last year was the addition of an additional irrigation pond behind the 3rd green, altering the view quite a bit.  Other than that, I don't think the course hasn't been altered much.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:44:19 AM »
Perhaps you should practice your punch 3 irons over the winter-toward the ocean!

During construction, I used to whack pine cones into the side of the house, which my son found very entertaining.  One day I did it while some neighbors were strolling by, and they gave me a knowing smile.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:14:41 AM »
Thanks for the info, Brad.  I have never played at Salem, but it's on my short list of "must play" courses.

michael_j_fay

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 12:07:49 PM »
Salem has not done any substantive work since 1997. I played there about a month ago and must say it was the best conditioned course I have played in New England this years.

I spoke with Kip Tyler and he mentioned working with Ron Forse on some future bunker plans.

Salem is the only course I have played that has grass growing up to the bark on every tree surrounding the playing area. The course played fairly fast although the greens were not much above 9. When I marshalled there in 2001 at the Senior Open the greens were kept at around 10 and some of the players complained. I thought that at 11 the scores would have sky-rocketed, at 12 no one would finish.

The major work being done at Salem is the reconfiguring of the practice facility. They have stretched it out with 65,000 cubic yards of dirt and now have a two ended range of 360 yards. They already have a very nice short game area.

Salem is a real treat, if you get the opportunity, jump on it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back