News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

ward peyronnin

What do those Brit courses do with our money?
« on: October 31, 2007, 11:31:12 PM »
Gents

I belong to Cruden Bay Golf Club and the visitor's money has burned the remodel hole in their pocket. They have socked away hundreds of thousands of pounds since notoriety, currency exchange, and GCA.com has hit.

I was at Portrush'es bar and mentioned this to a member and the amnt he said they have accumulated is truly staggering in proportion to that. I asked him what they planned for the funds and he mentioned a new "visitors bar" where the yanks could wear their shorts. So you seem to have near ideal courses with little reqiuirement for capitol to improve them and a steadily increasing stash. I asked him if they considered scholarships etc. and his response was they only ask nine lubs to  be a junior member for a year <at a top 20(40-50?)> course.

It is their money but what will they do with it? And it will keep growing. Why do i feel allowed to ask?

The fact that they now know what they have; see what the Pebbles and these other marquis courses in America charge to cut the nut and know they can get it vs what it used to cost. Maybe we will all just subsidize golf in the British Isles and not care. But hey at least we are allowed on unlike here in America.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

James Bennett

Re:What do those Brit courses do with our money?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:55:13 PM »
Ward

is it better to pay higher fees at a privately owned course, knowing that the money you pay won't be 'socked away' in a bank account, but rather used to repay the debt/interest incurred in buying the facility from the previous owners?

would it be better if these courses employed a considerably larger workforce to attend to the course, so eliminating the bank account?

Your question of what they are going to do is a good one, and is a nice problem for a club to have.  Perhaps you can get one of your fellow members to ask at the club's AGM.  

James B

edit

Ward.  I would also be worried about the 'remodel' outcome as you mention in your thread (given the cash burning a hole in their pocket).  I also wonder what the potential for the club to contribute to the local economy is, or perhaps for some different tax treatment to be initiated by the Government or local council to develop over time.  I expect the clubs are currently exempt from such taxes.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:59:32 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Chaplin

Re:What do those Brit courses do with our money?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:10:31 PM »
Ward,

There are around 2000 golf courses in GB&I of which I'd guess no more than 50 are seriously affected by overseas visitor income, therefore with the greatest respect visitors do not subsidize golf in the British Isles. At a handful of clubs the members pay a very low annual fee due to the huge visitor revenues.

For the remaining clubs overheads are rising at a rate far in excess of inflation and income from visitors.

CBGC could obviously subsidize their juniors if the members so wish, reward their loyal staff with above inflation pay rises, reduce visitor fees, etc. I note you use the term "they", as a member surely the money is being accumilated and spent in your name and you have a right to vote at the AGM on the Board's proposals??

Mark  
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back