News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike McGuire

A haunting image
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:10:10 AM »
Its halloween and this image to me is haunting. Its a recent  aerial of our par 5 sixth hole, designed by William Langford, with the designed hole drawn over the top. Both fairway bunkers and the trademark reverse two tiered green NLE.  Restoration candidate?

from the fairway from near where the first fairway bunker was.

The evidence..

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:30:06 AM by Mike McGuire »

Evan Fleisher

Re:A haunting image
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:54:44 AM »
Mike,

I enjoyed playing the 5th hole at WBCC...but your NLE features look quite intriguing.

I vote it a solid restoration candidate.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:46:50 PM by Evan_Fleisher »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:26:06 AM »

Here are my photos from our wonderful day.  They show the FW from the right side and show the notch of contour appoximately where the carry or gull wing old bunkers would have been.  I think that with Mike's photo, one can see that the planting of the trees up the left side took away the ground.  The ODGs, liked to play the hillside ground bounces.  With the placement of the gull wing bunkers left, and the placement of the bunkers again challenging the left approach, which you see in the other photo I posted, you see that L&M wanted you to use that hillside, and if you didn't get it right, you would bound down to the gull wings.  Of course the trees up the left approach of the green need to be paired back as well inorder to make the challenge of the hillside right shot work as the rewarded side.  It was a bit of the line of charm sort of flirtation, I think.  

I can't figure why the club did the whole tree line thing.  Perhaps to get more visual seperation and hole integrity with the adjoining 9th.  But, I don't think they needed that many trees.  I'd say they could still leave a few selected trees in the separation, but get the FW up in there to use the hillside, put the bunkers back in, and bring the right low FW back up to the left.  You'd have something of a more favored shaped shot option off the tee rather than just hit it straight into the notch.  And, the shape, depending on distance you hit it, might be variable Lt to Rt or Rt to Lt, also depending on wind that day.  Another words, down wind and long, a Lt to Rt really challenging the Lt hillside, to get a turbo boast possibly past the gull wings, and on a calm or into wind day, a Rt to Lt to hold the hillside to favor the left side approach corridor.

I'd say, sympathetic restore/remodell.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Moore

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 02:43:14 PM »
Haunting indeed, but not as scary as a similar overlay of the back nine would be.  If you have that I'd love to see it.  

The second set of bunkers on 6 on the 1937 aerial look a little like the double "principal's nose" bunker on the sixth at Lawsonia.  That would be an imposing bunker set into the face of that hill!!!
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back