News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Pilgrim's Oak (w/ pics) New
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »
Halloween was definitely a treat for me with a twilight round ($18) at Pilgrim's Oak, out on the edge of civilization in Peach Bottom, PA.  I played PO when it opened in 1997 and decided a revisit was in order on this glorious fall afternoon.  I was not disappointed w/ the Hurdzan designed layout.  Heck, I wonder if the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere might be why I don't read more about it.  I think it is fantastic. 

I snapped over 150 photos and have put them all here w/ my comments:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/PilgrimsOak/index.html

The greens at PO are just marvelous.  Not a boring one in the bunch, IMO. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:48:05 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

tlavin

Re:Pilgrim's Oak (w/ pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:28:38 AM »
Thanks for the post and the lovely photos.  Here's hoping that the silos and barns aren't one day replaced by three-story Tudor knock-offs.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:02:27 AM »
Thanks for the description and photos.  The greens certainly look varied and interesting.  Do they have as much slope as the pictures indicate?
At $18 it looks like a steal.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 01:03:15 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 03:11:14 AM »
I love this sort of stuff!

Thanks for posting Joe - the pix are most enjoyable.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »
Joe:

Thanks for the pics.  I really enjoyed PO the few times I have played it.  It is a truly a hidden gem, with the emphasis on "hidden."

Andy
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:55:22 AM »
How can they maintain the course with fees that low - incredible.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »
Thanks Joe!

I wish the course was 50 minutes from my house. What a great value. The conditioning looks great and the course looks like a great one to come back to over and over again.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Dan Boerger

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »
I played this course 3 or 4 times and it really is a lot of fun. Nice finishing hole, some very stout par 3's and it was always in excellent condition. It's well off the beaten path (for me), but worth the ride, particularly at those prices!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Joe Bausch

Re:Pilgrim's Oak (w/ pics) New
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 12:19:45 PM »
Thanks for the post and the lovely photos.  Here's hoping that the silos and barns aren't one day replaced by three-story Tudor knock-offs.

Terry, right now the course really only has one house on it, and it is far off the fairway.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:49:01 PM by Joe Bausch »

Joe Bausch

Re:Pilgrim's Oak (w/ pics) New
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 12:30:38 PM »
Tommy:  the greens are more contoured than most of the photos depict. 
And 18 bucks for twilight weekday rates is amazing.  Although it cost me about 20 bucks in gas to get there.   :)

Sean:  that collection area was a blast to experiment in.  I dropped a few balls there and tried a putter, then my fairway wood, which seemed to give the best results.

Has GCA ever had a gathering at Pilgrim's Oak?  I really think we'd have so much fun there.  I don't know how early in their portfolio this was for Hurdzan and Fry.  The only other H/F course I've played is Philly Cricket's Militia Hills, but this course is much different.

A feature I find interesting is that PO has a grand total of 22 greenside sand traps.  That strikes me as unusually low.  Or is it?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:49:43 PM by Joe Bausch »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 03:31:21 PM »
Joe,

Sounds like a plan to have an outing there next year. It's not too far from the Baltimore/DC area plus Wrendale, another Hurdzan/Fry course isn't too far away. Is the nuclear power plant nearby in view?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 03:53:43 PM »
Joe,

Sounds like a plan to have an outing there next year. It's not too far from the Baltimore/DC area plus Wrendale, another Hurdzan/Fry course isn't too far away. Is the nuclear power plant nearby in view?

I did not notice the tower.  Google maps suggests it is about 4-5 miles away to the southwest.

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »
What a nice looking golf course! Thanks for the pics.

Dave Maberry

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 08:26:03 PM »
Joe,

I did not notice the tower.  Google maps suggests it is about 4-5 miles away to the southwest.

Steve and Joe,
 Peach Bottom is about 4 miles away but not visible from Pilgrims. There are no large cooling towers aka Limerick or TMI.
 If you follow this link select "view larger map" and then zoom out 4 clicks Peach Bottom is at 7 o'clock

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.asp?course=1546056
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:28:09 PM by Dave Maberry »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 08:39:24 PM »
Wow - what nice conditioning.  Last time I played was during the summer of '05 with the drought.  Many of the fairways were burned out, and the greens weren't far behind.

Nice job by the staff...

The guys I work with really like this course, and I thnk it's one of the best bangs for the buck in central/SE Pennsylvania.  You can do MUCH worse than to play PO.

If you want a good Hurdzan/Fry combo - try PO and Wren Dale - just north of Hershey.  The US222 golf trail?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:42:36 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back