News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

A fly 18 near MouseWorld?
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:38:35 AM »
I'll be near Mickey M's place the week before Xmas, and would like recommendations as to the best place to spend 6 hours or so driving to, whacking the pelota across dormant Bermuda and then driving back whilst the women of the family are power shopping.  Architecture is far less important than a fun place to play, although somewhre with a bit of both would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Jeff_Mingay

Re:A fly 18 near MouseWorld?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »
Richard,

It's been years but, I recall having FUN at Steve Smyers' Southern Dunes. It's a relatively short drive south of Orlando... presuming you're headed to Florida and not California!
jeffmingay.com

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 08:50:52 AM »
Thanks, Jeff, and yes, it is Florida.

And your suggestion is very nearby.  Never played a Smyers, but always thought they were worth playing.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:30:10 AM by Richard Farnsworth Goodale »

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 10:07:55 AM »
Rich:

Smyers has a new design called Bridgewater in Lakeland adjacent to I-4 that is within 30 minutes of WDW if you are staying on property. It doesn't have the residential encroachment (yet) that you'll find at Southern Dunes and most other options closer to Orlando. I'm not sure of the policy, but it is a very walkable course for Florida.

Brad Klein reviewed it in Golfweek, and I also started a thread about it back in April. We both had pretty good praise for it. Southern Dunes is certainly a good option as well. Bridgewater might be about 5-10 minutes farther.

Regards,

Sobe

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 11:17:52 AM »
Rich:

Smyers has a new design called Bridgewater in Lakeland adjacent to I-4 that is within 30 minutes of WDW if you are staying on property. It doesn't have the residential encroachment (yet) that you'll find at Southern Dunes and most other options closer to Orlando. I'm not sure of the policy, but it is a very walkable course for Florida.

Brad Klein reviewed it in Golfweek, and I also started a thread about it back in April. We both had pretty good praise for it. Southern Dunes is certainly a good option as well. Bridgewater might be about 5-10 minutes farther.

Regards,

Sobe

Bridgewater is worth it but you won't be able to walk there until 3PM. I'd love to join you anywhere between Orlando and Tampa.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 12:03:46 PM »
Kyle,

What's up with that?

Why can't you walk Bridgewater until 3pm?
jeffmingay.com

Mark Smolens

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 04:03:49 PM »
How far is World Woods from the land of Mickey?  Several years ago when the mighty Wildcats played in the Citrus Bowl I was in Orlando and we drove up for a day of 36 holes. . .

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 04:07:55 PM »
Reesh,
if you're in the SW corner of O-Town, Highlands Reserve, off 27, comes recommended by Too-Tall (Sweeney) and me. Good value (cheap!), some actual terrain (for Central Fla.), some interesting Architecture, free citrus fruit and TinniesaGuinness in the Clubhouse.
Southern Dunes is really good, but the 'homes' are beginning to come into play.

Fat.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 05:52:33 PM »
Kyle,

What's up with that?

Why can't you walk Bridgewater until 3pm?

"We don't even let our members out without a cart until 3PM."
-"Can I pay for the cart and just walk?"
"No."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 07:03:59 PM »
Perhaps some of the GCA Mountain Lake members will be in the area during that time.  Old tyme Raynor, great fun.

Steve Hyden

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Homes or no, Southern Dunes is terrific, the best public course in the area.  WW Pine Barrens is wonderful, of course, but over an hour away.  Victoria Hills is a bit of a hike and on the other side of town, but worth a trip.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 12:41:48 AM »
Just returned this evening from the land of Mickey. And no it isn't Pinehurst but the Magnolia course was in good shape. Probably the best of the Disney courses. World Woods is at least 1-1.5 hrs from Disney . If you are willing to grovel the Quarry course at Black Diamond Ranch is arguably the most interesting course in Fl.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 01:12:06 PM »
Rich,

Ya gotta play Falcon's Fire by Rees Jones.

No true GCA'er would be without FF in their resume.   ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 07:48:45 PM »
Rihc Mountain Lake is 30 to 45 minutes from the land of Ears. It is head and shoulders the most fun in the area. 3 hour golf and so walkable. Nothing else close compares.email me.

John_Conley

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 08:03:57 PM »
Just returned this evening from the land of Mickey. And no it isn't Pinehurst but the Magnolia course was in good shape. Probably the best of the Disney courses. World Woods is at least 1-1.5 hrs from Disney . If you are willing to grovel the Quarry course at Black Diamond Ranch is arguably the most interesting course in Fl.

Wow, do our tastes differ.

I would rather play Pirate's Cove than the Mag.  Adjacent Palm is much more interesting.  I don't know if it has closed yet, but Osprey Ridge is excellent.

Mag is difficult, but about as nondescript as you'll find anywhere.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 08:05:21 PM »

Wow, do our tastes differ.

I would rather play Pirate's Cove than the Mag.  Adjacent Palm is much more interesting.  I don't know if it has closed yet, but Osprey Ridge is excellent.

Mag is difficult, but about as nondescript as you'll find anywhere.

I found Osprey Ridge to blow away both Palm and Magnolia. I thought both of those courses were long and swampy.

John_Conley

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 08:07:06 PM »
I'll be near Mickey M's place the week before Xmas, and would like recommendations as to the best place to spend 6 hours or so driving to, whacking the pelota across dormant Bermuda and then driving back whilst the women of the family are power shopping.  

Since you only have 6 hours you really can't go anywhere far away.

I'll offer Mystic Dunes as your best bet.

Runners-up: Watson course at Reunion, Southern Dunes, Legends in Clermont, Highlands Reserve, Palm at Disney, or Orange County National's Panther Lake.

I don't think you can go wrong.  While the area is void of anything world-class, Orlando has tons of decent tracks.

Let me know if you are interested in company.  I could join you if the time is convenient.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 08:22:05 AM »
Thanks y'all for all the suggestions.  It may be a big ask to get away from my harem for golf, but we'll see.  Anybody who will be in the area and might even just want to get together for a drink, IM or e-mail me a clontact number and I'll swee what, if anything, can be done once we get there.

Cheers

Rich

Ken Fry

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 10:11:39 AM »
I'd throw in a quick suggestion of El Campeon at Mission Inn Resort.  Takes about 45 minutes NW of Orlando.

Ken

Jfaspen

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 12:23:17 PM »
Not mentioned yet but also a very nice public option is Victoria Hills.  Some great bunkering, good land movement and interesting tee shots/greens.

John_Conley

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 05:34:08 PM »
Ken, Jeff:

This happens every time someone mentions Orlando.  He could never get to those if he's at Disney, play golf, and return in six hours.

Mission Inn is up the Turnpike, Victoria Hills is an hour up I-4.

He's got time to do one of the good offerings right at Disney.  Mystic, Palm, Highlands Reserve.

Open it up for a day and you guys are right.  Both are among my favorites.  

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 08:16:20 PM »
Rihc Mountain Lake is 30 to 45 minutes from the land of Ears. It is head and shoulders the most fun in the area. 3 hour golf and so walkable. Nothing else close compares.email me.

Tiger is right.  If you need a member let me know.  Furthermore, I would then choose Black Diamond which is about an hour away and possibly World Woods.  I wouldn't mess around with any of the public courses around Orlando.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back