News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Mike, the story covering the golf is pretty good too.  Here it is, from the June 1, 1925 edition of the Philadelphia Public Ledger:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

Holy Cow, Joe...some great comments by the ladies in that article about the golf course.    ;D

I'm really glad you were able to get together with Pete...he's a wonderful guy!

Joe Bausch

I take great pleasure in bringing this thread back to the top, not just with a 'bump', but a simple feel good story.

After Joe Logan's Philadelphia Inquirer article was published a few months ago, which included an e-mail address to contact our Friends of Cobb's Creek Golf Course group, we received an e-mail from a fellow living in West Chester who has a relative (great-great uncle, I think) that worked as a kid at Cobb's Creek... and get this, is still alive and well at 97 years young!

Well, it took a couple of months to arrange a get-together, but this afternoon it happened at the golf course.  Mike Cirba and I met Bruce Hepke and his great-great uncle Attilio DePalma (he goes by 'Tillie', how 'bout that!) for a trip back in time.  Tillie started as a 'chaser' at Cobb's around 1921.  We learned that  a chaser was somebody the picked up golf balls at the range.  He progressed to be assistant caddymaster and was also the caddy for whenever Joe Coble showed up to play, which was often.  Coble, for those that are playing along at home, was the first 'Rocky story' of Philadelphia.  Coble honed his game at Cobb's Creek while working working as a waiter nearby, and eventually won the 1924 Publinx tourney and later turned pro and won the Philadelphia Open.

I'll allow Mike to recount some of the interesting accounts he had of the course, which are many.  I'll just get things started with a nice pic of the three of us standing on the 17th tee at Cobb's:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:00:21 PM by Joe Bausch »

John Kavanaugh

Joe,

Who is who in the picture?

Phil_the_Author

Joe,

That must be you with the tie as Mike could never look that distinguished and there aren't trousers in the world that could hide those knobby knees!  ::)

Joe Bausch

Joe,

Who is who in the picture?

From left to right:  Mike Cirba, Attilio DePalma, and me.

Phil_the_Author

Say it ain't so Joe... say it ain't so... That just can't be Cirba standing distinguished in a jacket and tie... Oh the shame of it all...  :-[

Mike_Cirba

Wow...what an afternoon!

As Joe mentioned, we were fortunate enough to spend the afternoon in the gracious company of a man we previously knew only as someone who caddied at Cobb's Creek in the 20s.   I must admit that I didn't really know what to expect going in.

I'd really like to gather my thoughts and do justice to this story, because it was magical.   Right now, I'm still decompressing.

Just a couple of quick notes.   It turns out that "Tilly" not only knew Joe Coble, he was "his man", and his caddie for tournaments and outings at Cobb's Creek and other local courses, including private ones.   He recounted what a "wonderful man" Coble was, and how he had a special affinity for, and popularity with "teaching the ladies", all said to me somewhat whispered with a mischievous smile.

He remembered the course in considerable detail, and showed us where you used to tee off on the long gone par three 14th over the creek, which was eliminated in the mid-20s.   He told us about the restaurant that was located on the 15th hole, and how it was perfectly located for hungry and thirsty golfers and caddies during the round.   He told us that the "good guys" would pay for their caddy's snacks, and how some others wouldn't.   Joe assured him that not much has changed in that respect.

He was astounded at how the trees had grown, and how much thicker they were than in his day.   He wouldn't make much of a GCA-er, however, as he thought the course looked much prettier with all of them there.  ;)

He marvelled at the condition of the greens...."like carpets", he called them, and said in his day grass on golf courses was much sparser and thinner.

I could go on, and probably will tomorrow when I have some dedicated time to think and write. 

It's a bit difficult to take in meeting with someone who was born before the Titanic went down, who played and caddied at Cobb's Creek while Hugh Wilson and Ab Smith and Joe Coble were still alive, and who had the spry, genteel manner of an earlier era mixed with the spunky playfulness of a man being returned to his boyhood stomping grounds.   I feel like I was just plopped down in "Field of Dreams", and watched a man transported in time.   

Profound.

However...my step-son also recorded the entire meeting, and with Tilly's consent, is going to put together a 10-minute summary of our visit with Tilly, to be placed on YouTube in the next few days, so stay tuned.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:31:08 PM by MikeCirba »

Peter Pallotta

Mike -

good stuff; wonderful stuff.

Mr. DePalma probably had a fine day today.

Peter

Dan Herrmann

Mike and Joe - congratulations!  First person history indeed great stuff, and I'm happy you were able to experience it.

I find it very interesting that Mr. DePalma noted the grass today was "carpet" compared to the past.

I wonder if we take today's conditioning for granted - video from the 30's and 40's usually shows courses with less than ideal conditions.

But back to being germaine.  This was great stuff, and I can't wait to hear the rest.

Oh yeah, Mike - nice suit.   I wonder if a suit-wearing guy has ever been on 17 tee before ;)

Tony_Muldoon

Following this thread from far away and it's one of the best thing's I ever seen on here.

Thank you Joe and Mike.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike_Cirba

Phil,

I try not to subject GCA to any additional painful "knees" photos.  ;)

Peter,

I had the privilege to serve as Mr. DePalma's chauffeur and he kept commenting how beautiful everything looked, how much money he had made there as a kid, how lucky he was in his life, and the only time I saw him look sad is when he asked if they still had caddies at Cobb's Creek and I had to tell hiim "no, there aren't many courses that still have caddies".   He went on to describe what a wonderful place a golf course is for a boy to grow up, and seemed confused how something as valuable as that could be lost to time.

Dan,

I'm probably the first guy since Joe Coble to stand on that tee wearing a tie.   I was coming from work, but it somehow seemed to suit the deference of the occasion, thankfully  ;D

Tony,

Thank you.   The one thing that struck me about Mr. DePalma more than anything was his gentlemanly demeanor and enthusiastic interest in life topics big and small.   

I find that so many men born in those eras were gentlemen...even if they were also rascals.

It seems to sadly be another generally lost art today, but perhaps every adult generation looks at the younger folks that way.

Still, it is difficult to imagine a lot of kids caddying today, and just being appreciative of making a little money for 5 hours hard work in the outdoors, sometimes after waiting several hours just to "get out"...and other days never "getting out" at all, and having to face that disappointment.   

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:44:52 AM by MikeCirba »

Joe Bausch

Just thought I would post another article describing the opening day ceremony for Cobb's Creek in 1916.  This one has a bit more details than some of the others.  This comes from the May 30, 1916 edition of the Evening Public Ledger, which is likely a very rich source for Philadelphia golf stories, but is very hard to access as only the Free Library of Philadelphia has it on microfilm and nowhere else that I'm aware of.

Also, I'm curious if anybody knows whether Stotesbury really did get this private 9 hole course built that is talked about near the bottom of the left-hand column.

Dan Herrmann

Wow - "The average duffer will take between 130 and 150 strokes".   

I also like the "mounted police will patrol the course to strictly enforce the rules".   

Another great find, Joe!

PS - Read the reason that the baseball game wise called as a tie in the 9th inning.

Adam Clayman

Sandy McNiblick?
Any guesses on who that was?
  ;D
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill Hagel

Mike:

(I'm Back)

Sorry for my long hiatus but as I told some of you my other lady (baseball) consumes me from April - July).

Hey Mike C. - Did you get to ask Tillie about the origins of todays 17th hole?

Great job (as always) on this.

Mike_Cirba

Bill,

Welcome back.

Actually, I've been called away myself for the past several weeks as we opened a new hospital in Philadelphia and it's been unexpectedly hectic and frenzied.    Still, all is well, and I'm hoping to soon update/contact some folks who are probably pissed at my absence of communications by this point.

Tilly recalled both the old 14th par three, as well as today's 17th but didn't recall the history, unfortunately.   I tried to jog his memory by asking if he knew Ab Smith, but alas...

Still, it was one of those chill-iinducing moments as we rode in a cart towards today's 8th green (the old 13th green) and without any warning or prompting, he asked, "where's the short hole that used to run over there?", pointing across the expanse of driving range parking lot.

It was an unforgettable day.   I'm hoping to get it on YouTube in the near future.

John Moore II

Mike--Have you posted the interview for public viewing on YouTube, or anywhere else?

Joe Bausch

Mike--Have you posted the interview for public viewing on YouTube, or anywhere else?

JKen,

Mike has been rather distracted lately.  He's led people to believe he's been golfing in Michigan playing all those wonderful par 3 courses.  The reality is much more complex.... but then again it isn't.

I've been privy, behind the scenes, to the setting up of the Lumberjack Strap Match of the 21st Century between some rather cranky, at times colicky, GCA.com participants.  At this moment Mike "The Hollywood Fashion Plate" Cirba is scheduled to manage the current WWE tag-team champions of Tom "I Got Your Whigham Routing Right Here" Paul and Wayne "Black Jack" Morrison versus a rather formidable on paper tandem of Rowdy Tommy MacWood and David Less is Moriarity, managed by The Mouth of the East, Patty Mucci.

Get your tickets now online at www.ih8golf.com, or call 1-800-GIV-2-JOE to order by phone.

John Moore II

JKen,

Mike has been rather distracted lately.  He's led people to believe he's been golfing in Michigan playing all those wonderful par 3 courses.  The reality is much more complex.... but then again it isn't.

I've been privy, behind the scenes, to the setting up of the Lumberjack Strap Match of the 21st Century between some rather cranky, at times colicky, GCA.com participants.  At this moment Mike "The Hollywood Fashion Plate" Cirba is scheduled to manage the current WWE tag-team champions of Tom "I Got Your Whigham Routing Right Here" Paul and Wayne "Black Jack" Morrison versus a rather formidable on paper tandem of Rowdy Tommy MacWood and David Less is Moriarity, managed by The Mouth of the East, Patty Mucci.

Get your tickets now online at www.ih8golf.com, or call 1-800-GIV-2-JOE to order by phone.

I personally think you should change the format to a spin-the-wheel-make-the-deal match, with a lumberjack strap match being an option. I would also like to see a Punjabi prison match be an option, a Tables, Ladders and Chairs match, and a Coal Miners Glove match. Now that would be entertainment. Can I be one of the lumberjacks? This sounds like a fancy idea.

Mike_Cirba

I am in Michigan dammit! 

I just spent the past 4 days playing 8 courses with 3 more to come the next day and a half.

My feet are almost bleeding after the last course I played today; a nine holer called Charlevox from 1896 that I walk/ran in 1 hour at the end of a brilliant 45 hole day.

The course was built by 2 Chicago GC members and supposedly designrd by Willie Watson but that seems early to me for him.

Perhaps it was Willie Campbell or HH Barker. ;)

I'll update this thread when I return from this little slice of golf heaven.

It takes too long typing on this stupid blackberry!

wsmorrison

Mike,

Please detail for me the exact influences on those two Chicago GC members and tell me if they've been to the UK.  I've frantically searched the shipping manifests, census records, birth and death records and all the newspaper articles I could find.  NOTHING.  Please help me.  Surely those two neophytes couldn't do it on their own.  They must have had Willie Campbell, HH Barker, CB Macdonald and HJ Whigham helping them.  It is preposterous to think that they could do it on their own  ;) ;D

Mike_Cirba

There are now 996 posts on this thread and there's no way that I'm going to let this lay fallow short of 1000.  ;)

Perhaps Joe Bausch can update us on his recent afternoon at Cobb's walking with some of golf's best traditional thinkers?

Jose??  ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:27:38 AM by MikeCirba »

Joe Bausch

Perhaps Joe Bausch can update us on his recent afternoon at Cobb's walking with some of golf's best traditional thinkers?

After meeting up with Pete Trenham last week at Saint Davids to discuss anything and everything regarding golf in Philly, of course Bill Kittleman's name came up in the conversation.  I mentioned that I had never met Bill and asked Pete to contact him and set up a meeting at Cobb's Creek.  So on Monday we took a tour of the links, a course which the two of them had only played once together, over 20 years ago.  It was a jolly ole time for sure.  Bill must have walked around the first green for 5 minutes, then said:  "gosh, this is a really nice green".  We went through the first five holes, then the fun really started as I had them try to guess some of the original routing!  Lot of neat discussion took place.  I wish I could remember it all!

I think they both came away with an enhanced appreciation of the course, where it is now, and what changes have happened through the years. 

Mike_Cirba

Joe,

It's interesting that they both played there prior.   I would have loved to have been there.

I'm curious what they thought of the "old" number 6, and whether they thought it might still work as a hole in modern times given the significance of the uphill drive.

The irony in all of this, of course, is that guys played it with hickory shafts and cruddy Haskell balls and called it a great hole back in the day, but today's golfer with Titanium alloy, laser swing measuring, and super balls would probably cry foul.   ::)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 05:03:23 PM by MikeCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back