News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Tom,

I've searched all over to find that aerial of the old 12th at GCGC that used to be pretty ubiquitious on this site.

Where Tommy N. when we need him?

I'd LOVE to see a side-by-side comparison of that aerial vs the one at Cobb's Creek above.

TEPaul

"Having played, quite a few of Walter Travis's designs, and generally LOVING them, I feel that this might very well be his contribution to Cobb's Creek."

That's a very interesting observation, Mike. Of course, it's totally unprovable but I've spent enough time collaborating of projects where I know something like that isn't uncommon.

TEPaul

"I'd LOVE to see a side-by-side comparison of that aerial vs the one at Cobb's Creek above."

Mike:

Believe me, I've analyzed everything extant about that old 12th at GCGC including the things the guy who probably knows more about it than anyone else in the world and there may be a few similarities but basically that 12th green at GCGC was one of a kind.

Kyle Harris

I'd love to see them both from the ground level first.

Mike_Cirba

Ok...here's an aerial of the old 10th at Merion in 1924 for some comparison.   Can anyone dig up one of the 12th at Garden City?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 10:09:59 AM by MPCirba »

Mike_Cirba

"Having played, quite a few of Walter Travis's designs, and generally LOVING them, I feel that this might very well be his contribution to Cobb's Creek."

That's a very interesting observation, Mike. Of course, it's totally unprovable but I've spent enough time collaborating of projects where I know something like that isn't uncommon.

Tom,

Kittleman's par three hole at French Creek comes to mind as a funky, incongruous, one-off that works well. 

Mike_Cirba

Guess the pic above didn't work.

Here's two 1924 aerials of the old 10th at Merion, courtesy of Joe Bausch's help;

and for comparison purposes, the greensite in question at Cobb's Creek.

Anyone have the aerial of the 12th at Garden City??
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:48:45 PM by MPCirba »

Mike_Cirba

Bump for John Kavanaugh. 

Actually, a rumor has been floating around Philadelphia late today...

No, it wasn't that Barack Obama was holding a rally in Independence Mall..

It had nothing to do with the Mets vs Phillies...

No, the local press is simply abuzz with the rumor that Tom Paul was seen roaming the hillsides of Cobb's Creek Golf Course, looking for old tees and finding ghosts and such in the woods.     Apparently, he drove his beat-up, exhaust-smoking, over-heating, tire-deflating Mini-Cooper from a meeting downtown Philadelphia and then drove over to the 'hood of West Philly, where he was seen hanging out with Huge "Puffy" Wilson, looking for the Soul of Golf at the PHilly Muni.

Both he and the city of Brotherly Love may never recover...

And there is absolutely no truth to the rumor that Cobb's Creek will now be serving Brie and Cabernet between 3-4 each weekday afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:51:30 PM by MPCirba »

TEPaul

MikeC:

In my opinion, the architectural restoration should wait and they should tuck a new little maintenance building out of the way somewhere on the property, refurbish that great old men's clubhouse and have live music at least five times a week. You listen to Old Tom Paul, boys, and Cobb's will be a happin' place day and night.

I'm also arranging for a battalion of bushhogs to attack Cobb's in a combined frontal, flanking and rear-action assault! After that we will determine all the interior trees that need to go.

When all that is said and done a resequencing can be considered and following that I called the city back and told them those fairways have to be expanded to like 2 to 3 times at least and maybe even 4 times and that you and Joe Baucsh and Geoff Walsh have volunteered to cut them every day before you go to your day jobs.

Seriously, though, I'd like to go out there with you and over your Plan A with an architect. Karagung may need to be a par 69 for Plan A to work.

Furthermore, I heard you boys were hitting balls from some of the old tee positions through the woods to their original greens. Now I know you guys are super serious or pretty insane.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:14:25 AM by TEPaul »

Mike_Cirba

MikeC:

Furthermore, I heard you boys were hitting balls from some of the old tee positions through the woods to their original greens. Now I know you guys are super serious or pretty insane.

Tom,

As I mentioned to Joe L., he could use the  word "crazy" and we couldn't fault him, but we much prefer "passionate".  ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:16:02 PM by MPCirba »

Geoffrey_Walsh

I happened to purchase a early Sunday edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer today and noticed that Joe Logan wrote a wonderful full page article on the Friends of Cobb's Creek!  I will post the link to the online version as soon as it is published.

Joe was kind enough to include both the web address for GCA as well as the email address for the friends of Cobb's Creek (friendsofcobbscreek@gmail.com).  To anyone who is reading this thread for the first time - welcome!  You have A LOT of light reading ahead of you.  Please feel free to email us any feedback and we would certainly welcome hearing about any knowledge of Cobb's Creek and its wonderful history that we have not yet uncovered.  Our goal is to preserve the entire history of the course and use it as a roadmap to restore it to its former glory while including the local communities in the process.

Mike_Cirba

Geoffrey,

Not to take this thread off-topic, but I think the heartiest and heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS are in order to you and your wife for the birth of twins this week!!   ;D ;D ;D

And yes, I picked up the same Early Edition and it's truly a wonderful article by Joe Logan.

Even my long-suffering fiance' Jenna was impressed by Joe's ability to put organization and structure around the story of our group of passionate zealots! 

I'd just mention to everyone out there who is interested in GCA.com and/or our specific efforts for Cobb's Creek that Sunday's edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer is required reading.

Just seeing Mayday Malone's smiling face will be worth the $1.75!  ;D

Joe Bausch

Here is the link to the Joe Logan story in the Philadelphia Inquirer entitled "With a Little Help From a Few Friends":

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080427_With_a_little_help_from_a_few_friends.html

Guys, fellow members of the Friends of Cobb's Creek, this is a real good read.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kyle Harris

FOCCing Nuts, I say.

wsmorrison

That sure is a motley crew.  But that is one heck of a great photograph  ;)

Geoffrey_Walsh

Mike,

Thanks for mentioning the twins!  My foursome is finally complete!   ;D

Willie_Dow

Great to get back from Florida and be reintroduced to the FOCC.  Where is the the creek in relation to those pic's, Mike ?

Willie_Dow

OK, I got it - no problem with the creek, as I see #10.  But we got to get to work on those catch basins.

Joe Bausch

In the September 30, 1915 edition of the Philadelphia Bulletin is an update on the progress of the locker rooms at Cobb's Creek (the course opened in May of 1916).  What is interesting about the photo is that is taken from in front of the 2nd green, which apparently had some interesting bunkering at the back of the green:

Contrast this to a fairly current photo from near the 2nd green:

Mike_Cirba

Joe,

I had no idea that Rees Jones was involved in the design of Cobb's Creek.  ;)

Seriously, I wonder if that is a bunker or a pile of turf/sand being utilized in the construction process, despite what the caption reads? 

Joe Bausch

Joe,

I had no idea that Rees Jones was involved in the design of Cobb's Creek.  ;)

Seriously, I wonder if that is a bunker or a pile of turf/sand being utilized in the construction process, despite what the caption reads? 

Mike, I've had the same thoughts that you have, but I have looked at the microfilm version of this photo from the Free Library of Philadelphia and although it didn't appear to my eyes to be conclusive, I'm fairly confident these are bunkers are not some construction mess.

P.S.  The microfilm scanner at the FLoP is almost a joke and only allows 8 grays, so the scan I made is worse than this picture, which comes from a scan of the original newspaper clipping from the Fairmount Park archives (thanks Chris!).

Kyle Harris

Isn't similar bunkering employed to the front left side of the 1st green on Merion West?

Mike_Cirba

Kyle,

That's really an astute observation.   I hadn't considered that at all but it makes a good deal of sense.

I wonder if it's a feature worth restoring.     ;D

Joe Bausch

Pete Trenham, the historian for the Philadelphia PGA, pointed out a May 30, 1925 Public Ledger article on a ladies exhibition match I've mentioned previously.  The story is interesting, but also mentions the names Ab Smith and Hugh Wilson as being the primary people finding the site and "constructed along lines according to their suggestions" (of course, Pat Mucci and his merry gang will tell us the writer is just repeating misinformation from earlier accounts).  Here is the article:

Also, at the same time was a story from the Inquirer that I posted months ago with a photo.  I've since rescanned the photo using better equipment and I think it is clearer now that his pic is from the original 12th hole (the current 6th green):

I find it somewhat amusing that of all the early photos we have of Cobb's Creek, which in truth isn't all that many, none of them are taken from the hilly areas; I guess hauling around the photography equipment in those days was no gimme and hence once a few good pics were snapped, no sense heading out to the hillier parts of the course!

Mike_Cirba

Joe,

Wait a dadgummed second!

You say that it was CONSTRUCTED along lines according to the suggestions of Hugh Wilson and Ab Smith, primarily?!   

If they were on the Construction Committee, who was on the Design Committee?!  ;)  ;D

Seriously, this is a great article, and an even better pic than the one we've seen before.   Thanks!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back