News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

You are about to tee...
« on: October 30, 2007, 08:42:04 PM »
off on one of the world's most famous golf courses...this is what you see....almost nothing but train tracks and a wall.  Still one of the best days of my life.  

For those of you who have been there, you will know immediately ...for others, it might surprise you that this is what the 1st tee looks like at one of the world's great courses.  Thought you might like to see it.  I don't think it can be or should be duplicated.

David Stamm

Re:You are about to tee...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:42:47 PM »
I haven't been there, but is this Prestwick?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:47:21 PM »
Yes, Prestwick...here is a view of the approach shot ....

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:54:06 PM »
Crikey! I know when I get there that my hook will work to my advantage.  ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:59:23 PM »

It's quite an unforgettable day.  In the locker room, there are old signs that say "No Women, No Dogs"...teeing off in front of me were 4 groups of members, each with at least one dog leashed to their golf bag....some type of protest for the change in club policy that allows women to now play the course.  Absolutely hilarious.

Bart

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 10:24:23 PM »
Been there, done that, loved every minute of it...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 10:48:47 PM »
Everyone milling around,plus no range,plus hitting a two iron...most nervous first tee in golf.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »
Has anyone played Prestwick St. Nicholas?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

igrowgrass

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 11:44:05 PM »
What are those lines in the fairway?
Had they slit-seeded?  Or some form of aerification?

Doug Siebert

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 11:58:32 PM »

You would think so, but the view of the second shot posted isn't the one you'll see if you hook it off the first tee, at least not if you hit very much club, because the further you hit it the less room there is to the left and you do not want to approach that green from the rough!  If you hook the ball you should do like me and play a 5 iron off the tee so you can just aim left in the first place and avoid the possibility of ending up in that crud to the left that encroaches more and more from the left the further you hit it.

Its not a bad angle aside from having the wall immediately behind the green.  I don't think its really a problem to worry about actually hitting over it unless you have absolutely no distance control, but it nevertheless it messes with my mind because I keep thinking that it would be oh so cool to deliberately play a low shot long and bank it off the wall back onto the green.  That's not a good thought to have in your head at that particular point in time ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 12:01:49 AM »

You would think so, but the view of the second shot posted isn't the one you'll see if you hook it off the first tee, at least not if you hit very much club, because the further you hit it the less room there is to the left and you do not want to approach that green from the rough!  If you hook the ball you should do like me and play a 5 iron off the tee so you can just aim left in the first place and avoid the possibility of ending up in that crud to the left that encroaches more and more from the left the further you hit it.

Its not a bad angle aside from having the wall immediately behind the green.  I don't think its really a problem to worry about actually hitting over it unless you have absolutely no distance control, but it nevertheless it messes with my mind because I keep thinking that it would be oh so cool to deliberately play a low shot long and bank it off the wall back onto the green.  That's not a good thought to have in your head at that particular point in time ;D

Thanks Doug! Good stuff to know!

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 01:37:15 AM »
The fairway looks much wider after a Prestwick measure of kummel.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 02:38:30 AM »
What are those lines in the fairway?
Had they slit-seeded?  Or some form of aerification?

Sean, if you look at the first photo you can see the greenkeeper's tractor in the middle of the fairway (that you can't see ;D). I would imagine that they have scarified the fairways but it is difficult to be certain from the photo.

Chris Kane

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 02:55:14 AM »
If you've done Prestwick properly (big lunch then Kummel) it doesn't look quite so sharp!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 03:35:43 AM »
Bart,

What makes the opening tee shot even more difficult are the passing trains and the tendency for most golfers to tee off without first having been to the practice range.  An occassional gallery can also add to the intimidation factor.

Having first experienced Prestwick in 1952 I never thought that the wall and tracks weren't an integral part of the hole, visually, mentally and physically.

P.S.  I'm surprised at the sign, on my last visit I saw men walking dogs along # 12's and 13.  

Chris Kane

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 04:20:51 AM »
Patrick, a friend of mine (an ex-Captain) takes his dog with him every time he plays - dogs are condoned if not encouraged.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 06:41:02 AM »
Come on fellas ...there is nothing to it.  Just follow the directions on the sign posted by the first tee  ;)

Looks pretty easy ;)

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 08:39:08 AM »
Tommy,
I have played Prestwick St. Nicholas-I really enjoyed it.
The holes look a bit back and forth when driving by, but are quite charming when you play there.7-8 really good holes

One of the more memorable moments of Prestwick is "warming up" in the little bar area observing activity on the first tee.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bart Bradley

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 12:04:15 PM »
Patrick, a friend of mine (an ex-Captain) takes his dog with him every time he plays - dogs are condoned if not encouraged.

Does he do it to protest the women on the course????  This is what our caddies told us.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 04:47:34 PM »
This is how I picture the Jans.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Chris Kane

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 05:05:38 PM »
Does he do it to protest the women on the course????  This is what our caddies told us.

I can't imagine him doing that, he is a gentleman in every sense of the word.  I don't see why members would still be protesting years later - I suspect the caddies are pulling your leg.  

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 05:55:48 AM »
I'm ashamed to say I haven't played Prestwick yet - something I must remedy in the next few years.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 06:29:39 AM »
I played Pres first 20-some years ago.  Troon in the morning and Preswick in the afternoon.  We teed off on number one's that day on both courses.  But the real coup back then was to play out on Preswick, hop the fence, play back and out on Troon, over the fence again and back on Preswick.

Preswick's 17th and 18th have to be the best example of strongest/weakest finishing pair in all of golf.

JC

wsmorrison

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 09:20:38 AM »
That is the very spot where I met Bob Crosby, oh about 5 or 6 years ago.  While I could hardly play because of a torn tendon in my elbow, we had a great time and have been good friends ever since.  I will always think fondly of that day on a wonderful course with a wonderful gentleman.  I hope to go back next year.  Thanks for the rekindling the memories.

Bart Bradley

Re: You are about to tee...
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 08:27:16 AM »
Bump....I thought, given the discussion of N. Berwick's 1st hole and how it compares to Prestwick , bumping my pics of Prestwick's first hole might aid in the comparison.

If not, enjoy the pics anyway.

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back