News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: The Flynn Cup 2008
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »
I will say this:  I have an article from 1924 that says Flynn did do the design at Bala taking it from a 9-hole to 18-hole course.

Ok, here is an article (April 22, 1922 edition of the Evening Bulletin) on the day of the groundbreaking that says Bala is a Flynn, and the layout:

I've never seen Bala.  Is this the way the course is currently configured?  And what is with the #7 green in that diagram?  There appears to be two present, one drawn with dotted lines.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 10:26:47 PM »
Joe,

Some awesome finds, yet again.

Without going thru every hole in great detail, that map of Bala is very close to today's existing course, which is a ton of fun for a course under 6000 yards.

Interesting to hear that Warner was the one who designed the second nine and modified the first at Plymouth.    I'm betting that will be a shock to the club, but it's also of interest historically that there seems to have been a loose design connection/affiliation between Frank Meehan, Frank James, Francis Warner, Ed Clarey, and even Willie Park on his local designs.    Knowing what we know about Hugh Wilson and by proxy, William Flynn's friendship with Meehan, is it any wonder that Flynn's name popped up with a number of these courses?   

I'm beginning to wonder if the construction division of Toomey/Flynn wasn't as ubiquitous in Philly in those days (on their own designs and others) as a group like Macdonald and Co. seem to be today.

Of course, this is speculation, but the pieces seem to be coming together in ways I don't believe any of us understood fully before.

Great job!

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 10:50:20 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back