News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike_Young

Who was the worst ODG? or were they all great?
« on: October 30, 2007, 05:19:05 PM »
In reading the RJ thread and reading the article by Geoff S last week....question.....seems so many guys today just don't get it according to this site....so tell me ...who was the worst of the old gead guys?  Ross?  Simpson?  Tater? McKenzie?  Inquiring minds wish to know. ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Gary Daughters

Re:Who was the worst ODG? or were they all great?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 05:23:57 PM »

Mike Young,

You must get over this obsession of yours.

Can you say Clockwork Orange?
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 06:00:23 PM »
Mike, by definition all the ODGs were great, how could one be worst?

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 06:18:44 PM »

Mike Young,

You must get over this obsession of yours.

Can you say Clockwork Orange?
Gary,
Which obsession?  Who do think was the worst?   ;D

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 06:26:28 PM »
Is RTJ considered an ODG? Or is he just a DG?
Mr Hurricane

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 06:29:07 PM »

He's an ADG.

Aging Dead Guy.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 06:33:24 PM »

He's an ADG.

Aging Dead Guy.

Damn, there goes that suggestion ;).
Mr Hurricane

Gary Daughters

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 07:38:31 PM »

Mike,

Braid.

So he put his par 3's at 3, 6, 9 and 12.

Yee bob.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 07:46:27 PM »

Mike,

Braid.

So he put his par 3's at 3, 6, 9 and 12.

Yee bob.
At least someone gave an answer.....
I say Ross.....percentage wise that is.....

Gary Daughters

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 07:58:48 PM »

Mike,

I'd be interested if you would list your biggest beefs with Ross, and this isn't bait because I haven't seen enough of his work to really know.

PS am playing LS again tomorrow and am so jazzed I doubt I'll get decent sleep.

JMorgan

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
During the '20s, RTJ designed 21 courses in the NY Metro area.  Only Tillinghast and Emmet designed more courses in the NYC area during this period (26 and 23, respectively.)  

JMorgan

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 08:18:32 PM »
Does anyone know...

How many courses are still in the restoration pool?  

What percentage of Golden Age courses have undergone restoration?  

Of the remaining courses, how many courses "deserve" restoration?

David Stamm

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 08:21:50 PM »
During the '20s, RTJ designed 21 courses in the NY Metro area.  Only Tillinghast and Emmet designed more courses in the NYC area during this period (26 and 23, respectively.)  

RTJ in the twenties?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

JMorgan

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »

RTJ in the twenties?

Shhhh!  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:29:22 PM by JMorgan »

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »

Mike,

I'd be interested if you would list your biggest beefs with Ross, and this isn't bait because I haven't seen enough of his work to really know.

PS am playing LS again tomorrow and am so jazzed I doubt I'll get decent sleep.
Gary,
Ross has some very good stuff as we all know....but let me ask.....would it be considered architecture today if you saw a place one day and mailed in a set of plans and never saw it again....would the GCA association he belonged to allow such a practice?  Would the client accept it.....would one have any control over the outcome of the project......400....come on  there are some bad ones out there....say maybe 100.....
yet a guy like William(Wayne) Flynn might do 40 and not have the recognition.....but have 40 good ones....
can one honestly say an architect took pride in his work if he never saw the project at completion?  
These are just questions I have always had when I begin to hear he did 400 courses.....

Bill Gayne

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 10:13:13 PM »
I guess I'll bite and say Old Tom Morris. He failed to allow for advances in technology so much of his work had to be redone by other ODGs such as Colt and Mackenzie.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »

Mike,

The very few Ross courses I have played have been real treats.  They have a feel to them.  Not to get carried away here but I liken them to the way Miles Davis did music in their subtle craft.  

The 397 others..  I don't know.  I've read some of Ran's reviews and they jibe with what I have seen myself.  For a guy who did so much and spent so little time on site he sure seems to have been consistent.

"Would it be considered architecture today if you saw a place one day and mailed in a set of plans and never saw it again  .."

You're an architect, I'm a writer.  I have low opinions of writers who mail it in, but I'm probably less discerning about golf architecture, so my uneducated answer would be "does it work?"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 11:54:42 PM »
I'll throw out Bendelow.

While I have limited exposure to his work (and who knows how original any of it is?) my sense is he was just mediocre.

Little evidence to back that up, but from what I have picked-up reading here, thats the feeling I get.  
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JNC Lyon

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »

RTJ in the twenties?

Shhhh!  

I think not, RTJ's first solo effort was in 1929, so he probably doesn't count as an old dead guy.

As for the answer, it's pretty easy: Tom Bendelow.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:09:42 AM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 12:24:31 AM »
Another vote for Bendelow based on pretty limited exposure.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 01:09:31 AM »
I too was going to suggest Tom Bendelow.  Since he is taken I will throw out Alfred Tull.  He did some really good stuff with with D Emmet , but his own work, while good, is not really great.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:10:40 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike_Young

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 07:06:13 AM »

Mike,

The very few Ross courses I have played have been real treats.  They have a feel to them.  Not to get carried away here but I liken them to the way Miles Davis did music in their subtle craft.  

The 397 others..  I don't know.  I've read some of Ran's reviews and they jibe with what I have seen myself.  For a guy who did so much and spent so little time on site he sure seems to have been consistent.

"Would it be considered architecture today if you saw a place one day and mailed in a set of plans and never saw it again  .."

You're an architect, I'm a writer.  I have low opinions of writers who mail it in, but I'm probably less discerning about golf architecture, so my uneducated answer would be "does it work?"

Gary,
Don't get me wrong here.....yes there are some excellent Ross Courses but then there are many with kinky holes etc that IMHO he would have adjusted had he been on the site.....
My analogy as to writers mailing in....and does it work.  Wouldn't you agree that depends on the editor......same with GCA...IMHO.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 07:54:48 AM »
Mike,

Actually, I will finish a column later today and will email it in to the editor in Cleveland.......no real reason to "see the site" where its published. ;)

As to ODG, I think there was a variety of talent out there.  Didn't Billy Bell have a lot of proteges, like his son and Lawrence Hughes, who did a lot of average stuff?  

Was Banks as good as Raynor?

There was a guy named Tucker who was good, I think, but not great.

Even Press Maxwell was considered to not be able to hold a candle to his father.

How many Ross proteges were really distinguished in their careers?

There are so many pedestrian older courses out there that there had to be a lot of pedestrian, if not outright bad, gca's in that era. At least, Bendelow got better as his career progressed.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 08:21:14 AM »
I'll throw out Bendelow.

While I have limited exposure to his work (and who knows how original any of it is?) my sense is he was just mediocre.

Little evidence to back that up, but from what I have picked-up reading here, thats the feeling I get.  

Bendelow could design circles around Bill Diddel.  The Diddel bump...give me a break.

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 08:22:51 AM »
Gary,
Just to play Devil's advocate. (not that Mike needs any egging on)
remember that the only Ross's you're playing are the one's that survived. (presumably the better ones)
I played Ross's Brunswick CC competively in the 1980's and trust me there weren't a lot of fans of that course (at least in Brunswick) Recently that course has been renovated by Love's firm, but my guess is it wasn't a restoration, but rather an improvement.
But 20 years from now people will play it and gush over Ross, rather than Love and his firm. (presumably Cowley?)

Secondly, I think anytime we play a Ross or ODG course we are by definition playing an older,mature course where certain attractive features have been allowed/encouraged to evolve and certain unattractive features have been eliminated.

For instance, would any of the courses at Pinehurst have much charm if "restored" to their original opening state.
Stark,spindly,timbered pines and circular small, sand greens.
We all forget Ross worked on Pinehurst for YEARS, yet we want to pass judgement on new courses the year that they open and rip them to shreds.

There just is a certain charm to an older course that is irreplaceable and may have as much to do with maintenance practices and green committees as it does with the original architect. (of course we have some courses that were bastardized for what seemed like good and logical reasons at the time)

There is no substitute for time and maturity-which contribute greatly to charm.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back