News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Fall Colors GCA Photos
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:51:48 PM »
A few GCAers gathered this weekend in southeast WI for a second helping of Langford and Moreau (after not getting enough from Dan Moore's L/M tour in September).  The peak fall colors led to some nice photo ops, which I share with you below.

Evening shot of the super cool 7th at West bend CC.

The 7th again from the fairway to the very elevated green.

What pictorial would be complete without an *sspic (this time featuring the Mike and Mike show).

The front 9 at WBCC is a treasure, and its future is thankfully in very safe hands.  

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:17:18 PM by Brad Swanson »

Dan Kelly

Re:Fall Colors GCA Photos
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:53:47 PM »
I drove to Chicago and back this past weekend.

Wisconsin never looked better.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

BVince

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 04:01:59 PM »
inspiring photos...love the rolling terrain
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:56:29 PM »
Okay Brad...I'll see your Fall colors and raise you a few Ohio-an versions of my own!

These shots are courtesy of my bride, who snapped these photos for me while I played the back nine at Kirtland Country Club.  Not too shabby, eh?

Hole #10

Hole #15

Hole #16
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jason Connor

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:18:36 AM »
Here are two pictures from my back yard.  The first looks down the fairway toward the tee at Harbour Trees #7, the second looks toward the green.  The Dye railroad ties are some of the only ones on this course.

There is a small creek before the railroad ties just short of the green.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

JNagle

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:57:21 AM »
Evan -  

It looks as though you were there within a day or two of our last visit.  We were there on Monday the 22nd.  #10 is indeed a beautiful setting.

Photo of the 13th - Kirtland C.C.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »

Pete Garvey

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:09:59 AM »
Thanks for the great pictures Brad.  Is Ron Prichard involved in a restoration project at West Bend?

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:24:13 AM »
Ah, Kirtland -- one of the great under-the-radar courses around. It really stumped a bunch of folks when Scott Burroughs did his aerial thread a few years back. I don't recall if the thread ever came up with the designer, although I've heard Colt and/or Alison were involved.

How does it play? It's a schizophrenic course, from what I hear -- the back nine heavily wooded with some stream crossing and ravines, with the front nine more open. It doesn't have near the cache perhaps of its Cleveland-area neighbor Canterbury, but it's held in pretty high regard by those who have played it. Evan, Jim -- more details?

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:33:51 AM »
Phil,

Are the Flynn courses in Cleveland (The Country Club, Pepper Pike Club and Elyria) on the radar?  There must be some great golf out there for TCC and PPC not to be discussed much.  I thought TCC in particular very interesting architecturally and strong.  While there are a number of excellent holes, I found 15 and particularly 17 to be superlative.

Ron Forse and Jim Nagle (consulting architects) rave about Kirtland.  I've always found them to be right on the mark.  Of course, Canterbury is highly regarded around the country.  I'm curious as to what locals think of the courses around there; not a ranking so much as a overall appreciation of the top clubs.  Does the district have interclub competitions?  That is one of the many joys of Philadelphia golf.  The GAP matches provide an opportunity to sample the golf riches in our district.

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:50:32 AM »
Wayne:

Evan (who recently moved there) might have a better sense of reciprocity agreements of courses. It's been a while since I lived in the Cleveland area, so I can't say with any certainty about that.

Growing up in the area, however, Canterbury certainly had the strongest reputation among the top-line classic-era courses, in part due to its hosting of some significant tournaments, including Nicklaus' win there in the 1973 PGA. (My Dad took me to that tournament, and it was really the first time I began to think of a golf course as something other than a place where a competition was held.) Certainly TCC and Pepper Pike were highly regarded as well, although I had the impression they were quite exclusive and didn't host lots of events, and so their reputation as great courses with interesting architecture was perhaps not as wide-spread as Canterbury.

I suppose there are some (I've heard this occasionally) that think Cleveland lacks the really top-notch course that you might find in similar towns with offerings such as Scioto (Columbus), Camargo (Cincy), Oak Hill (Rochester), Oakmont (Pittsburgh) and Oakland Hills (Detroit). Cleveland sort of reminds me a bit of nearby Milwaukee (nearby me, anyhow), which has some courses with very solid reputations and interesting pedigree (Milwaukee CC, Raynor's Blue Mound) who don't go out of their way to promote themselves or even host significant state-level tournaments (although that's moving a bit, as MCC is hosting next year's national Mid-Am in conjunction with nearby Brown Deer).

Do you know who did/is credited with Kirtland?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:53:38 AM by Phil McDade »

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 09:59:14 AM »
Phil,

Thank you for your reply.  I didn't mean reciprocity but rather the local golf association facilitating play between clubs with interclub competitions.  I did get the feeling that TCC and even more so PPC (male only) like to keep a very low profile.  I guess I was trying to determine if the architecture of these two in particular was able to rise above the barriers inherent in experiencing the courses as far as local regard.

Ron and Jim attribute the original Kirtland to Alison.

Phil McDade

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 10:07:04 AM »
Wayne:

I don't know about inter-club competitions; I don't know that the Cleveland area has anything comparable to GAP. We once lived quite close to TCC and PPike (adjoining, as you know), and when we drove by, my Dad (who got around a fair amount in Cleveland business circles) would remark that even he didn't know anyone who played at those clubs.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 10:11:37 AM »
Thanks for the great pictures Brad.  Is Ron Prichard involved in a restoration project at West Bend?

Pete,
   Ron is involved with the ongoing work on the front 9 to recapture green surfaces, remove trees, etc., but GCAer Mike McGuire is the man that can fill you in on all of the details.

Cheers,
Brad

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 10:17:51 AM »
Evan -  

It looks as though you were there within a day or two of our last visit.  We were there on Monday the 22nd.  #10 is indeed a beautiful setting.

Photo of the 13th - Kirtland C.C.

Yes Jim...we did just miss each other.  Jill and I were there on sunday afternoon.  I assume you are involved with the master plan restoration work being performed?  Would love to chat with you about it sometime...Email or IM me!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

JNagle

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »
Kirtland is 100% C.H Alison.  This is a course that does deserve more recognition.  The Club, as with many other, was never concerned with notoriety and recognition.  Much like Lancaster C.C., PA, is doing they want to open up and allow some individuals in to take a look at thier gem.  This past summer we started a reconstruction project on the bunkers and expanding nearly all of its greens.  The existing greens total 105,000 sq. ft. and the expansions are 20-25 feet in some areas.  Within the US, Kirtland will have some of the largest greens we have witnessed here at Forse.  The course plays over some wonderful topography that comes into play on nearly every drive.  You can catch a downslope on eight driving holes for extra yardage, yet you can end up short of these areas and have a more difficult approach.  The greens are modest in some instances 2, 6, 7, 8 (not original), 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16 (not original) and 17, but beware of subtle breaks that are not so apparent.  Greens like 1, 3, 4, 12 and 15 are just plain fast.  The 12th green is one of my favorites anywhere.  The bunkers have great variety; some are flashed and deep (left of 13 green, #15 fairway), others are grass faced with a slight flash, many are nearly flat bottomed with long grass faces.  Alison may be the best at incorporating variety into bunkers, sometimes within the same hole.

The back nine at Kirtland is outstanding.  The front nine is no sluch either, there is simply something about the back nine.  Maybe it is the tee shot on the 10th.  A downhill par 5 that nearly all can get home in two.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 10:23:50 AM »
Ah, Kirtland -- one of the great under-the-radar courses around. It really stumped a bunch of folks when Scott Burroughs did his aerial thread a few years back. I don't recall if the thread ever came up with the designer, although I've heard Colt and/or Alison were involved.

How does it play? It's a schizophrenic course, from what I hear -- the back nine heavily wooded with some stream crossing and ravines, with the front nine more open. It doesn't have near the cache perhaps of its Cleveland-area neighbor Canterbury, but it's held in pretty high regard by those who have played it. Evan, Jim -- more details?

I didn't think it was all that schizophrenic...but the two nines are distinctly different.  The front nine plays more up on top of the ridgeline and although tree lined is more open.  Once you play down the hill at ten you are down in the river valley and play hop-scotch across the valley and streams laid out there.  IMO the back nine is much far superior to its front nine companion...but each side has its own flavor and flair.

The back nine is fairly heavily wooded, but not claustrophiboc in any way (although the club will be performing some "tree management" as part of the master plan).  The routing is more compact on the front (acreage-wise)...but both sides make for a rather easy walk as most green-to-tee distances are short.

A neat feature of the course is the gondola used to get you back up the ridge after you play the par-3 17th.  Apparently that area was once a toboggan run and this contraption was used as a part of that area...but at some point someone was seriously injured (maybe even killed) and the toboggan run was removed and the gondola becamea simple way to get from bottom to top.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 11:39:54 AM »
Does it get better than this?  (Highlands Links, from Ran's review):

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 12:11:22 PM »
Maybe not better than the last photo, but this is "better than average" in my view ;).

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Brad Swanson

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »
Dan,
   I think Highlands Links might be at the top of my wish list.  I can't wait to get up there and have a couple rounds there and then a few at a certain NYE course nearby in a few years.  ;)

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:14:41 PM by Brad Swanson »

JNagle

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »
Lake Sunapee C.C. - 17th hole

Battleship Hole - Bald Peak Colony Club

Backwards on the 8th - Bald Peak Colony Club

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 03:42:57 PM »
No way to top that Highlands Links pic.

Here's one of Sedgefield, in NC:

Some from the mountains of Virginia (Oh, how I wish it was sunny that day):

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 09:13:04 PM »
Scott Burroughs...

I was just about to put an APB out on you, young man.

Don't go running off like that again...you had me worried.   ;) ;D

Now, I just have to continue my search for that other MIA guy, Matt Ward.    ???

btw, Primland looks pretty cool.

Nick Church

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »
Which course is that in Virginia?!?!  I may have found a new target for my retirement savings.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 09:20:08 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back