News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael G. Miller

The Ist at Pasatiempo
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »
For those interested in golf landscape paintings, I just posted an image of a new painting titled, "Ocean View from the 1st at Pasatiempo, Santa Cruz, California" at http://golfclubatlas.com/art-and-architecture/michael-miller/ in the Best of Golf Section. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:53:13 PM by Michael G. Miller »

Matt_Cohn

Re: The Ist at Pasatiempo
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:55:29 AM »
Is it meant to reflect any specific point in time? It seems much more forested than it is now.

Michael G. Miller

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:31 AM »
It is completely contemporary and done from a site visit this year. In actuality, there are a few buildings in the middle distance, which would "break up" the completely forested appearance, but because they are distractions, I almost always omit "man made" structures (except for clubhouses or iconic features like the windmill at NGLA or "The Road" at St. Andrews. I don't include tee markers, ball washers, benches, cart signs, cart paths, etc. but I do include the flag stick for obvious reasons.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 09:38:20 AM »
Very lovely work, Michael - thanks.

It made me think:  I wonder if in their heart of hearts, in their spirits if not consciously, the Dr. Mackenzies of the world wanted to create though these golf holes the same feelings of peace and almost other-worldly "rightness" for golfers as you manage to create in your paintings for art lovers.   

From what I've read, most of those golden age greats left the poetic descriptions and metaphysical ramblings to fellow architect Max Behr, but in practice they may have been striving for the same goal.

Peter

Michael G. Miller

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »
Peter -
Thank you for the kind words on the painting. If I may add to what you said about the "great" architects, I believe that they were wonderful artists. And it would seem they they had a lot more in mind than only creating an attractive and well designed golf hole. Their use of the geography and setting (Cypress Point), the topography (Augusta national), the routing (Riviera), with considerations for the prevailing wind, setting and rising sun, predominate weather, variety of holes, etc, when taken together, seem to produce the effect that you attempting to identify.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back