News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re:Was is the impact of wealth on the status of classic courses ?
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 02:47:16 PM »
From both the private and public perspective, I would submit that Holston Hills and Lawsonia Links have benefitted from the absence of wealth.  Availability of capital inevitably leads to tinkering which has a nasty habit of turning into destruction.  Holston Hills might have gone the way of Ross' Richland CC in Nashville - housing development - had it not been on the "wrong" side of town.  

Michael:

Interestingly, the money that has been spent at Lawsonia -- under some direction from Ron Forse I believe -- has been aimed at restoring some of its original design intent after (following the pattern of many classic-era courses during the 1960s and 70s) it became over-treed. Fairways have been widened, trees removed, some green expansion has been and is still underway, and the course generally has a pretty wide-open feel (with a few exceptions) similar to what Langford originally designed. It still could use some restored bunkers if the course is truly intent on getting back totally to Langford's original design (the fronting right fairway bunker at 6, the left-side fairway bunker at 8, among others).

Green Lake proper,where Lawsonia resides, has always been something of an old-money resort town -- not quite as big as Lake Geneva -- but there is plenty of old Chicago and Milwaukee money lining the shores of beautiful (and deep -- deepest in the state) Green Lake. But Lawsonia proper has, to me, always had a modest feel about it -- a very low-key clubhouse, self-serve ice and water by the putting green, a crappy little (and blind!) practice driving range. I've always thought that feel is tied to its owners, an organization of Baptists, who don't even allow beer on the premises, and don't seem terribly interested in marketing the course along the lines of nearby Whistling Straits or any of Herb Kohler's big-budget/ticket courses.

wsmorrison

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 04:27:17 PM »
"What is the impact of wealth on the status of classic courses?"

Rich guys think brown grass is a sign that they cannot afford to maintain it properly...and would not want their friends to think that. It's probably a tough cycle to get out of. Does maintenance preparation count in the "status" race?"

Sully,

I think you may have something there.  The golfing world needs to see Huntingdon Valley CC and spend the day listening to you, Scott Anderson and Linc Roden.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 04:32:52 PM »
Phil. John Lawson was a philanthropist. I'd wonder if he had other wealthy friends. If so, if I understand Mayday's premise, that early influence could have carried over. Lawsonia was on that '39 list.

I can see how in part, Mayday's premise could easily be a function of the notariety. However, if a course doesn't have the goods, eventually it will be found out.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JESII

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 04:37:56 PM »
Wayne,

They don't have to listen to any of us...although it would be advisable to see HVCC...what they need to do is remember what was so great about golf as a kid and figure out a way to use those reasons to explain to your client/friends why your course is just a bit brown...

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 04:45:56 PM »
First off, regarding Mayday’s post about his friend who “… played Aronimink today for the first time. He is an 18… and felt it lacked variety compared to RG. He did not think that he was challenged to choose clubs to hit or angles to take. He values that variety which I assume came from his years of playing RG.”

For an 18 at Aronimink, this is probably very true.  An 18 is probably not long enough off the tee to hit anything other than 5w and long irons into half of Aronimink’s greens (1, 3, 4, 10, 12, 15, and 18).   Is this a knock about the course… maybe.  However, I’m a 10 (an average golfer), and there are plenty of decisions to be made about angles throughout the course (i.e. #3: if the pin is on the left side you have to be on the right half of the fairway.  And if it’s the on the right, then vice-versa)

And, recently I hosted a very good player (a +2 handicap) who played very well at Aronimink.  His take was that he could’ve scored better if he had taken the proper angle allowing him to play his irons to the correct parts of the greens.  He pointed out that he needed to actually hit a different tee shot to the correct part of the fairway to then execute the approach.  If that’s not strategy, then I’m confused?

There aren't many offset greens or fairways, especially with the par 4s.  Most are straight away with lateral bunkering down the fairways.  There are few line of play decisions to be made off the tee and few distance considerations.

I think these statements are false.  There are offset fairways (#2 especially from the back tees, 6, 16) and offset greens (7 and 12).   Yes, they are mostly straight away with lateral bunkers, but many offer options of where to, and not to, play one’s shot (i.e. #3, 6, 11, 12,) within the fairways themselves.

There are distance considerations.  How about #2 (try and fly the bunkers on the left, and contend with your tee shot running thru the fairway or play safely to the right of them with a 3w), 3 (if the pin’s right do you play 3w to the front of the left hand bunker or play Driver to be further down but still play left side of fairway), 6 (at 260 yds, it is a BIG carry over these bunkers, and I think more players would consider attempting it if the tees were up 10-15 yds), 7 (Driver or 3w?), and 13 (Driver as far down as possible and risk running through the fairway, or play back with a 3w or 5w but bring the fairway bunkers in play).

Think about this at Merion East.  In my estimations there are distance considerations at #1, 7, 8, 10, and 15… not at 5 (must hit Driver), 6, 11 (must hit 3w or 5w), 12, 14, 16, or 18.  That’s same number of times as Aronimink.  

Hit it as far as you want as long as you keep it down the middle of the fairway.  There aren't many holes where the ideal angle is from one side of the fairway or another.  

Really?  That’s the whole premise of Aronimink, I think.  One does have to have adequate length off the tee – I’ll give you that – but this course’s need for decision-making is more subtle than obvious.   For instance, take #1… if the pin is back left, one will want to be on the right-hand side of the fairway off the tee.  That brings the only fairway bunker, which is about 100 yards from the green, into play on a visual level because it blocks ones sight of the green.  However, one can play up the left hand side of the fairway and take advantage of the “speed slot” that will provide more distance to the tee shot and allow for a more lofted approach.  

The front 9 is generally clockwise as is the back 9.  There are some world-class holes (10 and 16) and some very good holes (2, 3, 7, 11, 18, etc).  The par 3s aren't a great collection although the long 8th is a tester and the 14th is solid.  

I will concede that Aronimink’s par 3s are less varied than others in GAP.  However, #5 is a strong short hole, with excellent internal green contours.  There are at least 3 separate sections on this green, and if the player is not on the correct part, a two-putt par would be a very good score.  Keep in mind, that like Merion’s 13th, many players are thinking birdie when standing on the tee with a short iron ranging from an 8I-PW.

Phil McDade

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2007, 04:53:58 PM »
Phil. John Lawson was a philanthropist. I'd wonder if he had other wealthy friends. If so, if I understand Mayday's premise, that early influence could have carried over. Lawsonia was on that '39 list.

I can see how in part, Mayday's premise could easily be a function of the notariety. However, if a course doesn't have the goods, eventually it will be found out.

Adam:

No question that Lawsonia was a very expensive course to build; it opened in 1930, in heart of the Depression, and was built for $250,000 at the time, which someone has estimated to be well into the millions of dollars in today's market. It was clearly one of the most "upscale" courses in Wisconsin at the time, and almost certainly the highest-end public in the state. The Lawsons were among the Chicago set who ventured up to Green Lake, and they largely developed the center which now includes the Lawsonia courses (wandering around there recently, I sort of speculated what those 600+ ((just a guess on my part)) acres abutting the finest deep-water lake in Wisconsin are worth), and they did pour a lot of money into the place. (The course has several fascinating back stories -- the barn abutting the par 4 3rd housed German POWs during WW II and the front nine was grazed by cows during the war.)

I guess my point was that Lawsonia, thankfully, hasn't really responded to all of the upscale marketing that's gone on with golf lately in Wisconsin, and remains by most measures a pretty affordable place with some pretty neat architecture -- really, the 18-hole showcase for Langford and Moreau's work. The course seems to be something of the anti-Pebble Beach (a course that you could play for, what, $25 back in the 60s, and now is essentially unaffordable for nearly everyone) -- Lawsonia has become less pretentious and arguably more affordable through the years.

wsmorrison

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2007, 05:22:30 PM »
First off, regarding Mayday’s post about his friend who “… played Aronimink today for the first time. He is an 18… and felt it lacked variety compared to RG. He did not think that he was challenged to choose clubs to hit or angles to take. He values that variety which I assume came from his years of playing RG.”

For an 18 at Aronimink, this is probably very true.  An 18 is probably not long enough off the tee to hit anything other than 5w and long irons into half of Aronimink’s greens (1, 3, 4, 10, 12, 15, and 18).   Is this a knock about the course… maybe.  However, I’m a 10 (an average golfer), and there are plenty of decisions to be made about angles throughout the course (i.e. #3: if the pin is on the left side you have to be on the right half of the fairway.  And if it’s the on the right, then vice-versa)

I agree with you.  I also don't get Mike Malone's thoughts...nothing new there ;D

There aren't many offset greens or fairways, especially with the par 4s.  Most are straight away with lateral bunkering down the fairways.  There are few line of play decisions to be made off the tee and few distance considerations.

I think these statements are false.  There are offset fairways (#2 especially from the back tees, 6, 16) and offset greens (7 and 12).   Yes, they are mostly straight away with lateral bunkers, but many offer options of where to, and not to, play one’s shot (i.e. #3, 6, 11, 12,) within the fairways themselves.

Sorry, Wayne.  I don't consider the 2nd an offset fairway unless one can carry the second fairway bunker on the left.  Otherwise it is a dogleg where you hit it straight and then hit one straight into the green on a 45* angle from the original tee shot.  Nevertheless, there aren't many angles to consider on tee and approach shots.  I wouldn't consider 2 or 3 from the tee and 2 on the approach (I think 6 is more of an offset green than 7 but neither would be considered much of an offset) as utilizing angles very well.  Given how much land was available to Ross, he certainly didn't give much thought to angles in this later design.

There are distance considerations.  How about #2 (try and fly the bunkers on the left, and contend with your tee shot running thru the fairway or play safely to the right of them with a 3w), 3 (if the pin’s right do you play 3w to the front of the left hand bunker or play Driver to be further down but still play left side of fairway), 6 (at 260 yds, it is a BIG carry over these bunkers, and I think more players would consider attempting it if the tees were up 10-15 yds), 7 (Driver or 3w?), and 13 (Driver as far down as possible and risk running through the fairway, or play back with a 3w or 5w but bring the fairway bunkers in play).

There are some distance considerations, but not many.

Think about this at Merion East.  In my estimations there are distance considerations at #1, 7, 8, 10, and 15… not at 5 (must hit Driver), 6, 11 (must hit 3w or 5w), 12, 14, 16, or 18.  That’s same number of times as Aronimink.  

I think 5 at Merion East definitely has a distance consideration if you challenge the creek on the left for a much preferred lie and approach angle.  4 has a distance consideration on the second shot to play safe to the level area past the bunker and before the hill slope down to the green or try and reach the flat area at the bottom of the second fairway on the hole.  I number the distance option at Merion East to include 1,4,5,7,8,10,12,14,15 and 16.  Holes 1,5,7,8,10,12,14 and 15 also have line of play considerations as well.  The greens on 3,9 and 17 all create lines of play considerations on the par 3s.  Diagonal lines of greens and bunkers are a bit more interesting on other designs in the district as well.

Hit it as far as you want as long as you keep it down the middle of the fairway.  There aren't many holes where the ideal angle is from one side of the fairway or another.  

Really?  That’s the whole premise of Aronimink, I think.  One does have to have adequate length off the tee – I’ll give you that – but this course’s need for decision-making is more subtle than obvious.   For instance, take #1… if the pin is back left, one will want to be on the right-hand side of the fairway off the tee.  That brings the only fairway bunker, which is about 100 yards from the green, into play on a visual level because it blocks ones sight of the green.  However, one can play up the left hand side of the fairway and take advantage of the “speed slot” that will provide more distance to the tee shot and allow for a more lofted approach.  

I disagree, but you do know the course a lot better than I do, so I do value your assessment and will keep an open mind.

The front 9 is generally clockwise as is the back 9.  There are some world-class holes (10 and 16) and some very good holes (2, 3, 7, 11, 18, etc).  The par 3s aren't a great collection although the long 8th is a tester and the 14th is solid.  

I will concede that Aronimink’s par 3s are less varied than others in GAP.  However, #5 is a strong short hole, with excellent internal green contours.  There are at least 3 separate sections on this green, and if the player is not on the correct part, a two-putt par would be a very good score.  Keep in mind, that like Merion’s 13th, many players are thinking birdie when standing on the tee with a short iron ranging from an 8I-PW.

Yes, the 5th is a good hole.  The spine from 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock is a nice feature.

TEPaul

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2007, 07:38:20 PM »
"We were discussing the rankings of courses in the Philadelphia area last night and couldn't figure the high national ranking of Aronimink versus other classic courses in the area."

Mayday:

I think to understand the high ranking of a course like Aronimink one needs to understand the history of the ranking magazine method.

The first modern golf magazine ranking was called the "200 TOUGHEST Courses in America".

And what was it going way back that constituted such things as "toughness"?

It was always raw distance to the tune of about 80+% and it still is under the USGA "course rating" system.

I firmly believe that architects such as RTJ and Dick Wilson picked up on this fact early on and as a consequence designed and built courses that were very long for their time. This could essentially insure that they would get on that magazine ranking list of the "200 Toughest Courses in America" that eventually morphed into the "100 BEST Courses in America".

Length=toughness and toughness=raw distance and that got courses on those lists.

Even early architects like Ross and Flynn probably understood that and built some originally long courses as Aronimink was designed and built to be.

Doing things like that also got those kinds of courses a nod for championship venues for obvious reasons.

I don't think the wealth of a membership had that much to do with it. I think it was basically about raw distance that increased courses' status via those early lists.

Those kinds of courses eventually became considered as America's "championship" courses and their status was raised because of it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:41:52 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2007, 07:54:14 PM »
"Haven't been in a few years, but it never seemed to get nice and firm the way I prefer it, that was my only ever knock on the joint...Wayne suggests that is being taken care of now..."

Sully:

I don't think you'll find Aronimink in the same firm and fast category as HVGC. I don't think you'll find many courses that are.

I doubt the membership at Aronimink would want that. What they want is extremely fast greens and they definitely have those now.

But if they asked for much firmer conditions both on the greens and "through the green" I have no doubt super John Goeslin would and could give it to them. The guy's an awesome super in my opinion.

HVGC has members and a super who are looking for a firm and fast playability they sometimes refer to as "like cement". I talked to Scott today and I asked him how the course has been this year and he said: "The best in years, it was like cement."  ;)

Dan Boerger

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 09:49:40 AM »
Wayne M -- Interesting and enlightening commentary on #5 at Merion East. At first glance, and particularly from the new back tees, it would seem that any drive, long and in the fairway would be ideal. But, as you state, the lie near the creek is probably flatter and, no matter what the pin position, it's better to be left than right.

And, I think this speaks well to Wayne W's analysis ... that seemingly straight holes, upon closer review, reveal some real complexity. This is certainly true at Aronimink, and distance and direction must be taken into account for top players scoring there. Sure, there's brute length that definately will wear down the high-handicap golfer, but the 12 - 20 guys find the course playable and definately challenging, as do the JES's of the world, as they challenge par 70.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Bill Brightly

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »
I played Aronomink for the first time this year in an interclub match. What a superb golf course. The member explained that the course had been dropping in the rankings, probably due to all the great new courses being built, pushing Aronomink down. But as I played the course, all I could think of was: "if this isn't a top 50 course I have never played one before..." (And I've played many of them.)

Playing the course from the back tees under tournament conditions was an awesome test of golf. The green complexes are so good, and that simply added to the accuracy required.

And if you consider all the unique fairway height collection areas, some in back, some to the side, there is tremendous variety. I played with their club champ, and that son of a gun made three tremendous up and downs using his 3 wood as a putter, rolling it up HUGE slopes, then letting it trickle to the pin. Variety? I bet half the people would putt those, one quarter would try a lob wedge, and the rest would try some kind of bump and run.

mike_malone

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2007, 11:36:30 AM »
 I think that Tom's observation about the initial list of the 200 toughest courses as a factor and Wayne's statement about Ross's national reputation are good answers.

But, I still think a course like T/F in its original form would have had a higher national profile if it had the membership of Aronimink.

But, even then Aronimink was "harder" so that if that was the #1 value for greatness then I can see how it happened that T/F was unknown.

I imagine RG was seen as among the hardest courses in 1926. Correct ? Wayne.
AKA Mayday

JESII

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2007, 02:08:36 PM »
TEP,

Agreed...

Agreed...

Accepted...don't know John, and have not seen the course in about 5 years...

and...

Agreed!

wsmorrison

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »
Mike,

I don't know Torresdale/Frankford as well as you, but there is no way that I see it being a better golf course than Aronimink, even in its original state.  It is a solid golf course, but nothing more than a Doak 4 or 5 at its peak.  Frankly, if T/F had John Wanamaker, J Howard Pew, AJ Drexel, James W. Paul, AJ Cassatt, Alan Wood, John Wyeth, Edward Schmidt, Thomas McKean, Eugene Delano, Robert Montgomery Scott, Isaac Clothier, Rodman Griscom and Clarence Geist all belonged to T/F it still would not rival Aronimink architecturally.

By the way, half these guys or more are related to Tom Paul.

Yes, Rolling Green was in 1926 and is today considered one of the more challenging championship courses in Philadelphia.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 05:34:24 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back