News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

herrstein

Back on the List! Doug Stein
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:02:30 PM »
Hello fellow nutcases,

Ran Morrissett gave me a new password and I am now able once again to post here after months or years of inability.
I have also added two kids to my stable so I've been too busy to pursue Ran for all it was worth.
After the Raynor convocation at Yale and a couple of recent contacts with other GCA'ers I petitioned again for reinstatment.
I look forward to hearing from many of you again.
Watch us this week as the Nationwide Tour is at Black creek and the course is firm and almost where we would like it, although the rough is a bit light.
We have added some new tees over the year and I will be interested to see how low they go this year.
Some of you may have heard that we had a Mid-am shoot 60 in USGA Mid-Am Qualifying, although it was from the Blue/black tees, not all the way back (about half and half.) The amazing thing about his round, as I understand it: he made 0 putts less than 10 feet in carding 12 birdies, an eagle and a double bogey, except for 2 two putts for birdie on 2 of the par 5's. He played 22 shots with the putter, 3 of which were off the green, for 19 official putts.
Anybody top that?!?
Needless to say, the greens are good. ;)

Mike_Cirba

Re:Back on the List! Doug Stein
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:08:13 PM »
Welcome back, Doug.

You've now given me reason to watch The Golf Channel this week and I'll have an answer when Jen asks me "what tournament is this?"  

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »
Hey Doug, welcome back.

Fond memories of our GCA dinner during the '04 Mid-Am. 60 is a remarkable feat regardless of yardage. I am not surprised that the greens were in marvelous condition.

Look forward to hearing more from you.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

herrstein

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 10:16:27 PM »
Welcome back, Doug.

You've now given me reason to watch The Golf Channel this week and I'll have an answer when Jen asks me "what tournament is this?"  

Unfortunately, this one not televised.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:17:12 PM »
Damn...that means I have to do chores.

Thanks for nothing, Doug.  

;)

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Doug,
Welcome back.....hey one of my buddies from Athens, Doug Stiles shot 68 there to qualify for the mid-am.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 10:24:40 PM »
Doug,

You going to Con-Expo this year?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 11:02:20 PM »
Nice to see you back Doug. ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 08:12:34 AM »
Welcome back Doug.

Quick question - Why was the orignal Lookout Mtn. clubhouse moved?

Bob

herrstein

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 08:25:45 AM »
Doug,

You going to Con-Expo this year?

Nope. Babies to hold.

herrstein

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 08:44:51 AM »
Welcome back Doug.

Quick question - Why was the orignal Lookout Mtn. clubhouse moved?

Bob

This could start a long thread.

1st fact: I don't know.

Now, originally, Lookout Mountain GC and what is now known as Fairyland Club were the same club- the clubhouse for the FC is about a mile from the golf course. Before the depression, apparently, the Golf course got separated and the Fairyland Golf Club was born. Everything else was sold on the courthouse steps to investors from Atlanta. (I may have some of these particulars wrong as this is all word of mouth and putting together minute books, press clippings, etc.)
After the War the golf course started doing well, the Fairyland Club had been separated and was doing well, and I grew up never thinking about them together. The Fairyland Club had the pool and the swim team and the tennis courts and the dining every night; the golf club was golf only and Thursday night chicken dinner.
From the start the golf club had only a tiny little club house (it is now the old part of the maintenance barn by #8 tee). This club house was not where the original drawings had sited it (I have drawing showing two locations with one crossed out by hand and a note "use other club house"). They played the course with the original #6 as the first hole (this hole we now play as #8). There were even a couple of short tees added to play "playoff" shots to the 7th (18th as they played it) green which are still there.
There are a lot of stories from that old little "caddy shack" clubhouse alive in the Club.
In the '50's (1957 I think) they decided to build a more appropriate clubhouse. They had recently renovated the greens by converting to bent grass, by anecdote the first club this far south to do so. It was during this period that the greens for #11 (Alps), #14 (Lido), and #17 (Double Plateau) were destroyed. In the construction of the clubhouse the green for #12 was altered in some way, and the tee for #13 (Redan) was shifted to accommodate a parking lot.
No one at the club had any idea who Seth Raynor was, apparently, and that was not a consideration.
I would guess the clubhouse was sited with a mind to the view and the logistics of the road's location. In the course of placing the clubhouse where it is today, they changed #1 (the original par 5 17th) to a par 4, and changed from teeing off on the original 6th hole to teeing off on the original 17th hole.
One of the most striking and humbling aspects of all the changes at Lookout is that they were all done by intelligent, well-meaning members who genuinely had the best interests of the Club and its members in mind. These episodes are a constant reminder to me not to get too strident about anything- I could always be wrong.
At the same time, most of the great things I have seen accomplished over my lifetime have been pursued with great singlemindedness by people who were sure they were right.
I remain a strong proponent of recombining LMGC and Fairyland Club, and hopefully one day restoring the course to its orignal routing. I am told I will be dead before this happens, but what's a life without dreams?

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 10:07:26 AM »
Welcome back, I'm sure I'm one of many who enjoyed your participation awhile back.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

BCrosby

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 10:13:18 AM »
Thanks Doug. Very interesting.

I asked because there was a thread recently about relocated clubhouses that casued renumberings and reroutings of courses. Lookout Mtn. came up in that discussion. You've filled in may blanks.

Bob

Billsteele

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 03:41:36 PM »
Doug-Good to see you back. For those who have not had the pleasure, Black Creek is one of the most enjoyable golf courses I have played. On my way to the Dixie Cup, I played both Lookout Mountain and Black Creek. While Lookout Mountain is terrific, I could play Black Creek every day. Black Creek features a fine set of par threes with a very cool "reverse Redan" ...a blessing for those of us who fade the ball. Having Doug back among the living is a big plus for the treehouse.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:45:24 PM by Billsteele »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 08:13:19 PM »
Doug,

It's OK to take time off for worthwhile and fulfilling pursuits.

How's your golf game ?

herrstein

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 06:19:04 PM »
Not Bad for an old fart. I really have started to figure out a few things about how to play the game, and though I've lost 50 yards on my drive, I  have been scoring pretty well.
Didn't score very well at the Raynor event at Yale but hit the ball great. Putting was the bugaboo.
I think my foursome won the pro-am at the Balck creek Nationwide event today. Played with a Scot named Martin Pierce who recognized the holes- even the bullseye behiond #6! So that was fun.
Drove two par 4's (we amateurs played a 6100 yard course.)
Index is now +1.2, but I keep my own stats and don't turn in every score because I play a lot at LMGC after the pro shop is closed, walking. I have gotten under +2 a couple of time in the last year, which I never thought I could do, even back when I could hit it 200 miles.
So I'm trying to stay in good shape 4 more years until I get senior status!

Jerry Lemons

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »
Doug, Good to hear your back, Look forward to seeing you down the street at Jasper at Rarity. Hope to get some of your insight.
Jerry
Times flys and your the pilot !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back