News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Padraig Dooley

Definition of a Purist
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:40:04 PM »
How would you define a purist as related to GCA?
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tom_Doak

Re:Definition of a Purist
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:34:46 PM »
1.  If they volunteer that they are a purist, they're probably not one.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:10:36 PM »
Corollary: Given premise 1. there are no purists.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ken Moum

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:20:45 PM »
Sounds like Catch 22.

If you have to ask for it, you're not qualified.

I've been called a purist on a number of occasions, usually derisively.  My transgressions were playing the ball down in spotty conditions, and expecting people to play by most of the rules, most of the time.

I'm no purist, but then the folks who called me that aren't what I'd call golfers. One of them recently shot 20-year best round of 69 and had to note that "I never moved the ball, either."

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 05:11:40 AM »
purist

noun
 believer in traditional standards: somebody who insists on maintaining something in its traditional form  

Here is a definition from a dictionary. Seems like a reasonable ideal, but as Ken has mentioned the term is usually used disparaginlgy.

But are all traditions worth upholding?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 06:28:32 AM »
Yesterday i received a call from Mr Moore bragging about how he hit 7 iron into a 445 yard 18th hole. That Persimmon driver has not seen the light of day since before Ran quietly put away his hickories.

The purist movement on GCA has passed.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 06:40:48 AM »
When you hit a guttie, and realize what the game is all about.

Of course, this must be hit with a hickory!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back