News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Forrest Richardson

Muirhead — Executive Golfer Series
« on: October 21, 2007, 04:48:23 PM »
Does anyone have all the issues of Executive Golfer Magazine that contained the series by Desmond Muirhead. He wrote (my guess is 1998-2000 give or take) a series of 12 or even more articles on topics ranging from trees to tees, greens to bunkers.

I would be open to purchase them or reimburse for photo copies.

Thanks.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Brian_Ewen

Re:Muirhead — Executive Golfer Series
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »
Forrest , check your messages .

Meanwhile , some humour  :)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:57:34 AM »
In  hearing from a few of you I have some updates on the "afterlife" of Desmond. First, thanks to Brian Ewen for his kind archive of this writing. Please send Brian whatever he wants whenever he asks.

Ella, Desmond's longtime secretary passed away in July of this year. I had met Ella when I was just 13, bugging Muirhead to guide me on how to pursue a career in golf architecture. She was an amazing assistant and organizer of the crazy man's life for more than 30 years. She will be missed. She continued, even well after Desmond passed away, to answer the phone, update the website and try and assist people looking for records, etc.

Desmond's most famous book, St. Andrews — How to Play the Old Course is now selling for well over $300. This is amazing when one considers that Desmond's daughter, Romy, had thousands left in boxes up until a few years ago. She apparently sold them for a few dollars each to a promoter who was supposedly shipping them to the UK for sale over there. Anyone who knows whether they made it over there should be alert. One on-line store has copies up to $500 each.

Romy continues to warehouse thousands of sketches and plans. I have held on a list of projects the idea to compile a book on Desmond. Maybe it will materialize one day — or maybe not.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:59:13 AM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »
Forrest
That explains the glut of 'St. Andrews — How to Play the Old Course' on ebay over here .

Unfortunately they have been selling for around the £10 mark .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ST-ANDREWS-HOW-TO-PLAY-THE-OLD-COURSE-GLOSSY-HB-BOOK-BN_W0QQitemZ130164271455QQihZ003QQcategoryZ115280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 12:29:24 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 12:44:33 PM »
That does explain it. What a lesson in international supply / demand.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 12:26:53 PM »
Brian

I missed out on the ebay copy but managed to pick one up on amazon for less than £10.

What I can't understand is why there are some on amazon at £10, and some at £200+ here

Does anyone understand the difference between the copies?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back