News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Clayton

Re: Should you rank a course almost nobody can play?
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2007, 04:08:34 AM »
Ben,

Amazing.I tried to find the  2004 magazine but couldn't.
I am pretty sure I didn't include it in my list.
It is not in the 2006 list.
'This year,Capital again insisted on not being ranked and a personal request from Australia's richest man not to rank his beautiful Elleston has reluctantly been accepted' (2006 Golf Australia Magazine)

Seminole and Pine Valley should be rated becaue people can see them.There are members and there are competitive events others can play. As far as I know they are not privately owned courses.
And there are endless numbers of pictures and words on both.

Elleston has no members,no events and almost no one can play it - and aside from Darius' book, no publicity.

James Bennett

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2007, 04:20:36 AM »

Elleston has no members,no events and almost no one can play it - and aside from Darius' book, no publicity.

I had wondered why/how Ellerton was able to have been featured as prominently as it was in Darius's book.  I don't really want an answer, but it is intriguing given how private the facility appears to be.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tom Birkert

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2007, 09:17:15 AM »
A friend of mine has played Ellerston and said it was an incredible place. No tees, you can choose where you want to play from. It's a beast from the back apparently!

The stories of how few rounds get played there are almost as legendary as Kerry Packer's gambling stories!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2007, 12:01:28 PM »
I need help!

With the name of a course and it's patron.

There is a full sized course designed by Donald Steel, near the south coast of England, built in the grounds of a fabulous stately pile.  The planning conditions said it was for the use of the owner but a few charity days can be held each year as long as no green fees were taken.  There is no clubhouse.

I've seen one photo and as far as I know it's never been reviewed (rated). The owner is a far eastern gentleman of immense wealth who spends only a few days a year in the UK.  However due to his age a few years ago he decided not to maintain it anymore.

I was very surprised to find that Tom and John who joined us for the recent Buda Cup had played it on their recent trip.  They said it's coming back and then left in a hurry before I could ask any more. ;)

Has anyone ever rated (reviewed) Schwab's (?) private course in Hawaii?

Anyone know the name of the English Course or the owner?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back