News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Daughters

Re:If JN became a poster.....would you call him Jack?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 08:16:07 AM »

Mr. Young (if I can call you that),

This topic is AWESOME!!
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 08:41:56 AM »
I would call him whatever he wanted me too.

I would like to think on a website it would be Jack.  Or maybe Mr. N.  Typing Nicklaus would get very repetitive.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 10:03:50 AM »
Until he reaches the age of 18, Jordan must call him Mr. Nicklaus.

For the rest of us, I like J-Nick.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 10:16:10 AM »
Until he reaches the age of 18, Jordan must call him Mr. Nicklaus.

For the rest of us, I like J-Nick.

Well said, R-Shef

astavrides

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 10:22:35 AM »
The sort of shaving in question has its merits, especially on those sweaty days. It also serves to take away framing features that tend to "shrink" the perception of size in the eye of the beholder.

It is for this reason that I've refrained from mowing my own rough so closely, as the scale of my own architectural features already intimidate the only person with whom I will ever share such fine pedigree.

And yeah, I'd call him Jack. Maybe J-Nick or Nickalicious.

Grand Master Nick Daddy?

That's true.  It makes the mailbox look taller if you cut the grass around it.

And yes, 'Jack'.  First names for everyone.  The way the quakers do it.  Their is too much bogus hierarchy in the world already.

Michael Blake

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »
He would get his butt kissed on this site more than Mr Doak does. :)

PThomas

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »
This thread could bring new meaning to the new term "Brat slippage" ouch!

Why don't we just keep calling him...Hammy?
 ;)

;D ;D ;D
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kirk Gill

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 10:34:40 AM »
In my postings on this site, I tend to address a man as "Mr. ______ the first time I direct a comment specifically to them, unless they've already addressed me by my first name. Mr. Paul, Mr. Mucci, and Mr. Doak have all been treated this way, so it would seem impolite to refer to Jack Nicklaus in any other way.

I'll admit, though, since I grew up basically worshipping the man, that my first post might actually be addressed "Mmmmmmissssttter, um , sir, uh....Nick...I mean, sir?" It would be worse in person. Honestly, it's hard to think of anyone whose presence might intimidate me more, from a fan-dom standpoint. Maybe Peter Gabriel.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mike_Young

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 10:45:24 AM »
The sort of shaving in question has its merits, especially on those sweaty days. It also serves to take away framing features that tend to "shrink" the perception of size in the eye of the beholder.

It is for this reason that I've refrained from mowing my own rough so closely, as the scale of my own architectural features already intimidate the only person with whom I will ever share such fine pedigree.

And yeah, I'd call him Jack. Maybe J-Nick or Nickalicious.

Grand Master Nick Daddy?

Jim T,
I knew it......read that stuff above......Kyle is one of them.....the Dixie dork 2007 likes fairway and no balls in the rough.....Kyle....your generation is ruining showers across the golf world....when will they be restored.....? :o
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kirk

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 10:46:33 AM »
In general, I try to make famous people feel like regular folks.  No autographs or asking tons of questions about their profession (in this case, as a golfer).  I always start conversation away from the person's profession and see where it leads.  For instance, I played golf with the great bowler Earl Anthony for many years, and though I knew who he was, our conversation was about everything except bowling, though I do have a few excellent stories in the memory banks.

So he's Jack, unless he goes Daniel Snyder on me and wants to be called Mr. Nicklaus.  I doubt it.  What an asset he would be to ths site!

Mike Young that is too funny.  What is it with these crazy kids?  Tattoos and piercings and overzealous shaving habits.  Why do they feel this need to differentiate themselves?  I remember the good old days, when...

Phil Benedict

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 10:51:33 AM »
Jack Nicklaus is 12 years older than I am, but we're both adults. He's a great champion but he's not the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.  I'd call him Jack.

Jordan Wall, on the other hand, should call everyone on this site Mr. at least until he graduates from high school!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 11:02:43 AM »
As any father of a teenage boy can report, the days of the communal shower are rapidly coming to a close. Not only do they not shower together after gym class or football practice, but they don't shower after games, either.

In another generation, kids will be completely clueless when one of us old fossils refers to sending a pitcher to the showers...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mark Pearce

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »
He'd probably be put out if I called him Arnold, Gary or Tom, or even Tiger.  So I'd call him Jack.  It is his name, after all.

When I first joined the firm where I trained the senior partner was always called "Mr Cooke".  Everyone else it was first names.  When he decided he could be called Simon I decided I wasn't going to call anyone Mister again, unless I was making a legal point.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2007, 11:30:32 AM »
He would get his butt kissed on this site more than Mr Doak does. :)

The ole I like Doak therefore I am smart logic will not work with Nicklaus.  The same faction that ripped Whitten at every opportunity possible would do the same to Nicklaus.  It would be seen as a chance to gain more backroom intellectual kudos.

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »
What a sad view you have of your fellow posters, Jax.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2007, 11:53:11 AM »
What a sad view you have of your fellow posters, Jax.

George,

From reading the threads of the last week can you name one positive thing that that was said by one of my fellow posters about the Nicklaus contributions to either Dismal River or Sebonack?  I at least believe that my fellow posters are not two faced sniveling twits who change stories when the meet a man face to face.  Oops, I don't know why I said face to face...I should have said finger to finger.  Sorry, but that is not quite as high a standard.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:59:37 AM by John Kavanaugh »

George Pazin

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2007, 12:27:19 PM »
And I suppose it's inconceivable that someone could agree with Tom and not be simply ass-kissing, or criticise Jack and not be simply bashing?

Whoops, forgot who I was asking....
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »
Calling him by his first name will help because it worked for me:

There were literly thousands baying around Nicklaus at the Senior Open at RCD. They were sreaming "Nicklaus, Nicklaus" and trying to get his Autograph. He froze them out and walked on. Th my dad shouts out prending he knew him ;D:

"Hey Jack, Can you have a photo taken with the kids mate"

And now I have couple of photes with Jack, a signed cap and some autographs!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2007, 12:31:29 PM »
Same rule applies to you as it does to Jordan, Matthew: It's Mr. Nicklaus until you're 18, or unless Jack tells you otherwise.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »
I like the quote from the OSU coach Francis Schmidt, and think it applies here.

"The inaugural season [1934 - Ben] for coach Francis Schmidt is one that sparked a couple of great OSU traditions.  OSU's teams had been losing to Michigan regularly, and Schmidt made his famous quote “They put their pants on one leg at a time same as everybody else"

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »
Same rule applies to you as it does to Jordan, Matthew: It's Mr. Nicklaus until you're 18, or unless Jack tells you otherwise.

OK, Mr Shefchik ;)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »
This thread could bring new meaning to the new term "Brat slippage" ouch!

Why don't we just keep calling him...Hammy?
 ;)

Really?

I thought we called him "Dr. Katz"!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2007, 12:46:25 PM »

OK, Mr Shefchik ;)

Matthew, you have my permission to address me as Rick.

See how easy that is?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2007, 12:48:58 PM »
I once got yelled at by another famous golf pro named Jack (Connelly from Huntingdon Valley) for calling him Mr. Connelly when I was 17. Since then, it's been Jack.

As a pop culture tie-in to the subtopic of this thread... those who are insolent should be beaten in a burlap sack.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »

OK, Mr Shefchik ;)

Matthew, you have my permission to address me as Rick.

See how easy that is?

Too easy. You should have had conditions -- like, say: "If you buy my book(s), you may call me Rick."
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back