News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Old photo's
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:10:25 PM »
Well, I guess it wasn't too hard to guess the photo of El Morro I posted. You guys are just too damn smart! ;)

I found the photo from a book I purchased from a library that was a discard. It's a Pan American golf guide book from the '60's that have some pretty cool other photo's as well. Here's some I thought some here would find of interest....

I'm sure everyone can guess this one...

This one may be a little tougher, but is well known....

This one of the Delhi Golf Club looks neat.....

A tee shot at Halmsted

There was a few maps of famous course's layouts. I don't know if some historians of these clubs will recognize if there has been any changes between then and now at them. Here's Hoylake...

Royal Troon...

A pretty interesting map of Gullane....

And finally a overview of Gleneagles...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:10:40 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike_Cirba

Re:Old photo's
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:14:28 PM »
David,

Where are you finding the cool pics?

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:17:48 PM »
David,

Where are you finding the cool pics?

I scanned them out of a book I bought from a city library discard sale for a $1. It's called Golf, New Horizons a Pan American Guide to Golf Courses from around the World. There's a few more I have. If you guys want them, I'll post them.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

BVince

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:21:36 PM »
OK, David, I am probably wrong on this one...but I think the par 3 is from Banff Springs.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 10:23:16 PM »
OK, David, I am probably wrong on this one...but I think the par 3 is from Banff Springs.

Bryon,

That's correct, and the second pic is from Mid-Ocean.

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:36:09 PM »
Boy, you guys are just too smart! Either that or we all have to get some lives! ;)

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 10:39:23 PM »

Is that a pic of Stan Leonard hitting one up to the structure at New Dehli?

The Banff Springs pic is of the Devil's Cauldron. Optics there with the rugged mountains are outstanding.

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 11:27:07 PM »

Is that a pic of Stan Leonard hitting one up to the structure at New Dehli?

The Banff Springs pic is of the Devil's Cauldron. Optics there with the rugged mountains are outstanding.

Bob, I don't know if that's Leonard or not.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 11:35:43 PM »
Bob,

I would bet that is Kel Nagle in Delhi.
He played there a lot in the Indian Open and that's his hat and pitching action.

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
If it is not Kel,I hope they arrested the guy for stealing Kel's hat.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:45:48 AM »
My fortune says it's Kel Nagle...no doubt there.

But, it's 50/50 on the bet for the golfer at Banff.  Either Stan Leonard, or..........Gene Littler.  Which one is it??
Come on.....pony up.

Tom

the pres

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 09:24:30 AM »
The photo's are snap shots taken during old Shell WWG matches. The match at Banff was between Leonard and Burke,jr. The match at Delhi was between Nagle and Potts.

BCrosby

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 09:46:50 AM »
Is the second pic the 5th at Mid-O? The house on the right of the fw makes me wonder, however.

Bob

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »
Bob, it is Mid Ocean (5th).

SPDB

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 10:56:28 AM »

I'm sure everyone can guess this one...

I didn't really know that the Devil's Cauldron greensite had been so remarkably altered. Here is a present day view - gone is the bulkhead on the front of the green, the look of which I really like. Also, the bank on the left appears to have been softened considerably. From the look of the old picture versus the new one, I would guess that ease of maintenance contributed to the changes.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »
GREAT "old" and "new" comparison photos...amazing to see how things change over the years.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back