News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Re:A call out to other GCAer's in So Cal (Fires)
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 12:10:07 AM »
Best wishes to all of you down south.  I remember getting to college at UC San Diego in 1970 as fires raged in the mountains to the east of us.  There was about 1/8" of ash on everything in our rooms.

I also remember flying out of Burbank one evening when the fires were in the Malibu hills back in the mid/late 90s.  It was amazing and incredibly scary to see.  I drove through the area a couple of weeks later and was blown away by the devastation.

Losing ones home has to be terrible, but getting through it without serious injury or death is the main thing.

Again, good luck to all of you down there.

peter_mcknight

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 11:39:17 AM »
On another note, as bad as we need precipitation in Southern California (after the driest season in memory), with all of the fire/burn damage, precipitation would be just horrible because it would release a torrent of mudslides across the region.

If we get precipitation in the winter, let it be feet of snow in the Sierra rather than hitting us this upcoming season.

David Stamm

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 08:09:35 PM »
Pauma Valley CC is looking like it may be hit hard. The fires are only a couple of miles away and heading for it.

RSFGC's super was able to get to the course and turn on the irrigation system. The club is out of danger from what I've been able to find out from a member.

I haven't heard any news on Barona as of yet. The only road going into the area is still closed.

I heard the fires got really close to RSF Farms but I don't know if actually reached the course or not.

No homes were burned inside The Crosby, so I can only assume the course was untouched. I believe some homes were burned inside The Bridges of RSF, but don't know about the course.

I'll pass news along as I find out............

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:11:08 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kirk Gill

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 10:22:36 PM »
I was in San Diego last week for a wedding, and in retrospect I am amazed at how little everyone was talking about the fires. Maybe it just hadn't gotten bad enough yet. It was raining when we arrived there Wednesday, but obviously not enough, and not in the right areas.  It wasn't until I got back to Colorado that I started hearing about the fires, and the evacuations. Our thoughts and hopes are with you all out there. Let's all pray for some moisture........
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 03:09:08 AM »
Crosby:

Mike Golden

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 07:26:49 AM »
it seems like just yesterday when I arrived in SoCal in October, 2003 and had to deal with the business side of the awful fires then.

I haven't had any time to pay attention to what is going on now but it seems even worse this year.  I hope all of our SoCal brethren are well and bearing up under the stress.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back