News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Cypress Pt Panoramas - Pac Gr & Olympic Par 3 - Plainfield
« on: October 12, 2007, 10:56:41 PM »
We have had a few threads lately about MacKenzie, his back bunkers flashed up, mimicking clouds, perhaps mimicking the surf.  I know that not all of us have had the pleasure of seeing Cypress Point themselves, and the photos we take are (generally) quite focussed on a particular spot, like the green.

Well, with my new camera, I have panorama software, so I was able to merge three old photos together, to give a wider panorama of #15 tee.  You can see #16 green in the background.  More importantly, you can see the interaction of the sky, clouds, rocks, surf, greens, bunkers and trees.  I don't know if it will change the views of some of us, but at least we can see 'the whole picture' here.

Ain't technology grand.  It isn't Aidan Bradley, but three quick snaps and voila.  Truly amazing.

James B
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 08:56:32 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Gene Greco

Re:Cypress Pt Panorama - #15 and 16
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:50 PM »
Thank you for posting.

I'm sure this will appear on many a screensaver (with the golf bag cropped out  ;)).
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 11:10:39 PM »
Thank you James! This, in my eyes, ties it all together. Honestly, is there a more breathtaking area in golf? It surely is one of the most beautiful spots period in all the world. Or at least of the places I've been to. Awesome stuff James!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:14:12 PM »
Gene

you encouraged me to remember another panorama from just up the road, at MPCC's Strantz course.  The full panorama.

James B
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 05:37:15 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:16:36 PM »
James, another gem! Wonderful scene! Boy, does the North bound trip end at Pasa?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:26:26 PM »
James,

Great photos. The interesting thing about the views of both CPC and MPCC is that they do not not reflect my experience as a first-time player on either course -- at least, when one addresses the tee shot. Tunnel vision tends to take over, even in these spectacular arenas. I'm glad I don't have panoramic vision; if I did, both of these holes would have been much more difficult to play.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

James Bennett

Re:Cypress Pt Panorama - #15 and #16
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 04:19:41 AM »
Cypress Point Club #16.  Complete with flashed rear bunkers. I was playing off the whites, but the blues are in the same place!

James B

Eric Franzen

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 04:46:17 AM »
Amazing photo, James.

It really captures the atmosphere of that hole and the feeling of standing on that tee after you walked through the corridor of cypress trees.

I can almost hear the waves...

James Bennett

Re:Cypress Pt Panorama - #15, #16 and #17
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 05:29:12 AM »
And, #17 as well from the tee.  I had more 'panorama' to the left, but it didn't link with the left edge of this shot.  There is another 30% of panorama to the left of this photo, before you reach ocean.

James B

BVince

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 11:34:22 AM »
James, what type of camera/software do you own?  I have a few very special rounds coming up in the months ahead and would like to take quality pictures like yours.  These shots are amazing.
Bryon
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 12:22:17 PM »
James,

When we were playing and as soon as you hit the ball, you would unsheath the camera and shoot umpteen pictures. I can only say that you framed some of the most beautiful shots in in the blink of an eye. Truly a remarkable feat.

Bob

Jordan Wall

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
Wow James, thank you.

That must have been a dream come true.

That is too cool.  What great photos.

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 01:05:15 PM »
Cypress Point Club #16.  Complete with flashed rear bunkers. I was playing off the whites, but the blues are in the same place!

James B

the most beautiful spot on the planet i've ever been fortuante enough to see
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Sweet.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 01:42:05 PM »

Great photos James, I think the old back tee on the 16th is going to be restored shortly.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 02:25:38 PM »
It's funny - I kinda think the golf bag on the first photo makes it real.

Great photos, regardless.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 05:19:21 PM »
James
A bit slow in at ETSA today?
Nice pics and looks like you've mastered the software!
cheers Neil

James Bennett

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 08:57:08 PM »
Neil

look at the date stamp - they were done on a Saturday. Club Championships were on and I couldn't get a tee time on Saturday. And - I don't have this software at work  :D.  By the way, have you moved yet - I saw some progress last time I went down Henley Beach Road.  I still have a book to return.

Bryon (I almost did a Rihc and typed Byron).

The software came with my Panasonic TZ-2 camera - it includes ArcSoft's Panorama Maker.  The automatic merging can work well, but with PB16, the Isthmus of Moriarty (the lay-up area left of the green) disappeared.  And, I ended up with an additional set of tees and another seat from the right hand photo.  However, doing a manual merge (you identify three co-incedent points on each photo) and some trial and error, and a good outcome was achieved.  With PB 17, my final photo (to the left of image) was too far from my previous image, so there was no common pixels to join together.

I chose a TZ-2 because it had my minimum requirements, ie, small enough to be able to play a golf shot with in my pocket if it is necessary, it had at least 6 times zoom (necessary on long par 4's) and it had a 28mm wide shot (handy for taking a wide-angle shot, eg from the front of a green).

However, all of these photos were taken with a lesser camera (it was stolen recently, hence the 'new' camera).  The Old camera was a Panasonic DMC-LZ1.  There is a current DMC-LZ12 I think, which is a great, cheaper camera (perhaps $300 vs $500 for the TZ2) but unlike the earlier LZ-1 model, the LZ-12 only has about 3x zoom.

If you do take photos on a golf trip, make sure you have recharged the batteries overnight and that you have spare batteries.  On my visit to CPC, I actually ran out of batteries after 14 holes.  All the pictures seen above were taken using the fresh batteries I took just in case.  And, bring a second memory chip.  Keep both the spare batteries and the memory chip with you on the golf course - don't just put them in the car.  It is a long walk back to the carpark (do you know how far it is from Pebble Beach #9 green to the carpark and back again - it is a long way for a walk!).

If you are taking photos with other GCA'ers/players, try not to interfere with their golf.  I don't know if I am succesful at that, but I try.  And, take a pic or two of them and give them a copy somehow.  Especially if some happen to turn out well.  My pics are quick snaps using great technology.  Thanks to the caddies at some of the courses too, as they would look after the camera  during shots (the CPC caddy was horrified when I ran out of batteries just before walking around to #15 tee - he didn't know I had spare ones with me :o).

Bob

I have looked at the photos often - I couldn't remember what I saw in such a short time without them.  I have fond memories.  I must revisit my Strantz cards/aerials.  That is the course I have the most trouble remembering the details of (more so than the Dunes).  

James B
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:00:00 PM by James Bennett »

Brock Peyer

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 09:00:17 PM »
Excellent pictures.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 09:05:25 PM »
Nice pics.  Would have it been possible for any architect or even a part time golfer with a passing interest in architecture to screw up that stretch of land?  If so, please give examples of how.  Could you build a gambler hole like at Kings North from 15 tee to 16 green?  Do the members of Cypress ever play cross country golf and come up with better holes on their own?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:06:30 PM by John Kavanaugh »

David Stamm

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 09:15:41 PM »
Nice pics.  Would have it been possible for any architect or even a part time golfer with a passing interest in architecture to screw up that stretch of land?  If so, please give examples of how.  

Well, we could have Dye's railroad ties shoring up the rocks in front of the 15th green, with Ted Robinson daming up the water below to create one of his triple tiered waterfalls and then he could frame up the green site with his trademark cluster of Palm trees while Cal Olson assists Cary Bickler with the Betty Crocker cookie cutter style bunkers surrounding said green site. There, how's that? Let's not minimize the talent of AM. While many would drool at the chance, fewer would deliver the goods.

Ash Towe

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2007, 02:22:23 AM »
James,
Thanks for sharing the photos.  Brings back some great recent memories.

BVince

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2007, 12:20:40 PM »
James,

Thanks for the advice.  I will definately take note because I want to cherish this opportunity.  Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed response.  V/R,

Bryon

P.S.  You wouldn't be the first to make the Byron mistake. ;)
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 05:40:48 PM »
James too fabulosa picturantes. Now check that software again and sea( ;)) if you can't add sound
- seals honking
- gulls cwarking
- waves crashing

Nah too perfect, I'm saving up for my own trip one day.  Thanks
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Bennett

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 07:59:41 PM »
Tony

one thing you don't hear is the yell of 'fore'.  You might hear the occasional RV chugging slowly past, but that is about it.

James

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back