News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Another great par 3...
« on: October 12, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »
This is by far the best hole on this course...rated in the top 100 but I couldn't figure out why.  Any comments on the hole or course in general.

par 3 playing 200 from blues and something like 240 from the tips

Matt_Cohn

Re:Another great par 3...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 05:05:08 PM »
Love it.

If you can't figure out why people love it, just look around!    ;D

I remember each hole, although not the details. At the very least, it's solid from 1 all the way through 18.

Don't forget this hole on the back nine:

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 05:11:22 PM »
Love it.

If you can't figure out why people love it, just look around!    ;D

I remember each hole, although not the details. At the very least, it's solid from 1 all the way through 18.

Very interestingly, I found the surroundings beautiful but remember very little of the actual golf course...Now that I see the photo, I do remember the hole in your picture.  I distinctly remember thinking "all of these holes are good but not great"  except for the par 3 I showed.  To me, this course was the perfect example of a beautiful and scenic course that left me somehow wanting more.

Thanks for the photo.

Bart
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 05:26:18 PM by Bart Bradley »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »
Is that the hole where they had to move the tees up for a TV match in the 60's with the Big Three because Gary Player couldn't reach the green with a driver in the wind?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 06:13:25 PM »
Lovely setting , but why does it need so much bunkering ?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 06:18:40 PM »
Is that the hole where they had to move the tees up for a TV match in the 60's with the Big Three because Gary Player couldn't reach the green with a driver in the wind?

I don't know the whole story ...but there was a TV match of those guys on this course....Mauna Kea on the big island.
Anyone else play it?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 06:28:52 PM »

I don't know the whole story ...but there was a TV match of those guys on this course....Mauna Kea on the big island.
Anyone else play it?

Bart,

A bunch. Won a tournament there in 1966 with Chi Chi Rodriguez. I have the photograph but it's a print. How do I digitize and post it here?

Bob

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
Bob:

If your asking, it won't be easy but...

Scan it (do you have a scanner?), upload it to photobucket.com and follow the img format

Evan_Green

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 06:44:28 PM »
Bart:

Just curious, when were you there?

As an FYI, the course is currently closed for refurbishment (they took this as a good oppportunity since the hotel was closed to repair the earthquake damage last year and presumably upgrade it as well).

Rees Jones has the job.

Here's more detail from a press release issued by owner Prince Resorts:

http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/images/interior/maunakea/release-Mauna-Kea-Golf-Course-Closing.pdf
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 06:47:08 PM by Evan_Green »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »
Bart:

Just curious, when were you there?

As an FYI, the course is currently closed for refurbishment (they took this as a good oppportunity since the hotel was closed by the earthquake damage last year).

Rees Jones has the job.

Here's more detail from a press release issued by owner Prince Resorts:

http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/images/interior/maunakea/release-Mauna-Kea-Golf-Course-Closing.pdf

January 06 --and this may be part of the problem...there was huge construction going on along the entire back nine...I would hate to think I let it affect my evaluation of the course but constant machinery/construction barrels/temporary walls may have clouded my judgement.

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back