News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Garland Bayley

Re:An architect named Arthur Vernon Macan
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »
Hey Jay,

Your site says that Yale 17 is a biarritz, but you claim here you never said that. What's with that?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2007, 11:58:38 AM »
One thing's for sure ... much more would be learned from this site with a better search engine.  Even using Google search doesn't do much.

Ran,

I'm ready to pony up to the need...
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Bill_McBride

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »
Hey Jay,

Your site says that Yale 17 is a biarritz, but you claim here you never said that. What's with that?

I think he actually said it is a "bizarre double plateau" and some readers may have misread his comment.

Or maybe not!  ;)

I truly admire Jay for having the cojones to spend as much time writing about golf, and actually creating a venue for his writing, as he does.  A lot of us "talk the talk," Jay walks the walk, at least in writing.  And maybe he misspeaks from time to time, but what the hell, who's perfect?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »
Garland, Bill and Yes tommy...the article you quote is from a year and a half ago.  I corrected the mistake elsewhere, but didn't fix it there.  Thanks for pointing it out.  It'll be fixed in a few minutes.

I was wrong back then, but I fixed it.  Problem solved.  But you know what else...OLD NEWS.  You guys keep harping on an article I wrote back in June of '06.  OLD NEWS.

NOW...Tommy...I re-confirmed...YOU ARE ARE WRONZG.  I NEVER SAID MACAN WAS SCHOOLED BY BEHR.  I said he followed Behr's principles.  SO as usual, you write an encyclopaedia of incorrect suspicion upon a single word you interpret incorrectly.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:52:23 PM by Jay Flemma »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2007, 08:52:13 PM »
I was wrong back then, but I fixed it.  Problem solved.  But you know what else...OLD NEWS.  You guys keep harping on an article I wrote back in June of '06.  OLD NEWS.

Good luck with your logic on this explanation. It hasn't worked on my wife in 25 years of marriage.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2007, 09:46:46 PM »
Relax Jay, It's only a internet discussion. (If I had a dime for everytime I've reacted like you on this website I would have enough money to buy all the political power I needed here in California to make the Guadalupe Dunes a world class golf experience.)

Jay,
You think I'm terrorizing you and, well, you couldn't be more wrong. I'm trying to help you here, for God's sake man! ;) Help me to help you Jay. H E L P  M E  T O  H E L P  Y O U.......

You say, and I quote:

Vernon, as he was called, was inspired by the design concepts of John Low and Max Behr......

Sounds like a pretty factual statement to me.

I'm asking you, Jay, where did you find this?

Where did you get this information that Macan followed Low and Behr's principles?

I'm asking because I've never seen this ever, not even once in print. If you have proof of this, show it, that's all I'm asking.

Crazy Joe,
Someday I'm going to pin a medal on the wife of yours. Maybe give her a purple heart too.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2007, 10:33:18 PM »
Tommy,

Reportedly, while Macan was recovering from his WWI injuries/amputation, he did read (and re-read) Concerning Golf. I don't know about Behr, but it seems Macan was very familiar with, and a student of John Low's architectural principles (as per Mike Riste's excellent research).
jeffmingay.com

Jay Flemma

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »
Exactly, Jeff.  Jeff Shelley agrees as well.  After reading Concerning Golf, Macan studied Behr as well as Low.

I heard from some people today that...I think its called Golf Club of California?...was terrific.

David Stamm

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2007, 12:52:27 AM »
Tommy,

Reportedly, while Macan was recovering from his WWI injuries/amputation, he did read (and re-read) Concerning Golf. I don't know about Behr,  

Jay, I just want to point out that Concerning Golf was a Low book. Behr curiously never did a book. Unless Macan made it down to So Cal, where almost every course he did resides, it would've been difficult for him to glean any particular style per se, only concepts from his many articles and essays. While I have by no means read everything Behr has ever done, I do know from what I have read that Behr talked a great deal about what an ideal course was and the virtues of what strategy really meant. However, he did so few courses that it's hard to garner what he "put on the ground" unless those courses were visited and the photo's of those courses ( at time of completion) were seen at the perspective clubs, since alot of Behr's work has been altered so much from what they were originally.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jay Flemma

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2007, 12:58:11 AM »
David, where did I say he read a book by Behr?  I didn't.  Of course  he got to SoCal.  He got to freakin Honolulu!

David Stamm

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2007, 01:10:21 AM »
 Macan studied Behr as well as Low.

I didn't. I merely made a side point that Behr never did one, which was curious since his voice was huge in the world of arch and golf in general in the early 20th century. And BTW, it would've been strange of me to say he read one since he never wrote one, but I'm sure you knew that. Hawaii is a few thousand miles away. I'm sure he could've gotten there from the Pacific Northwest if he had to. I'm curious, is it known when he visited Hawaii?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jay Flemma

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2007, 01:14:26 AM »
I tell ya what...why don't you ask Jeff Shelley or Mingay?  They know more about him than I do.

David Stamm

« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2007, 01:18:10 AM »
I tell ya what...why don't you ask Jeff Shelley or Mingay?  They know more about him than I do.

Fair enough.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2007, 03:43:56 AM »
After reading Concerning Golf, Macan studied Behr as well as Low.

I heard from some people today that...I think its called Golf Club of California?...was terrific.

Jay,
What people?

I've never heard of this book, Golf Club of California. Was it a magazine article, andif so, what magazine was it from? Or are you saying that Max Behr or was it Macan that designed a course called Golf Club of California?

What are you saying?

Is Jeff Shelley telling you that he (Macan) studied Max Behr? If so, where is the proof that he studied Behr? That's what I'm asking for. I want proof. Please show it to me.

Certainly to come up with this phenomenal, amazing piece of information, you had to have some form of proof other then what someone told you. Right?

Thanks

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2007, 03:47:41 AM »
Jay, Are you trying to say The California Golf Club of San Francisco aka The Cal Club?

From what I've researched so far, if indeed Macan was there, it wasn't long afterwards that some surgeon named Alister redid it.

Jay, I want proof of Macan studying Max Behr. Where did you find this information?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 03:51:05 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2007, 08:10:06 AM »
Tommy's right about Cal Club. Macan redesigned the club's original course some time during the 1920s, then very shortly after MacKenzie arrived and redid some stuff there. Kyle Phillips and co. are currently reworking Cal Club.

Re Behr. I'm sure Macan was familiar with him. Like Behr, Macan wrote quite a few articles on architecture for the old west coast magazines. I know he read them, too, and thus was very likely familiar with Behr's writings and philosophies. I don't have any proof of this, really. But it seems logical.

Reading Macan's articles is not much different than reading the likes of Behr, MacKenzie, et al. Macan was definitely on the 'same page' as these guys.
jeffmingay.com

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2007, 09:34:05 AM »
Jeff,
Yes, Macan did write for Pacific Coast Golfer and probably in all likelihood did read the writings of Max Behr, but without definitive proof, such as a quote that would be speculation now wouldn't it? ;)

And that's my point here. Definitive proof. I'm asking Jay to provide this. That's all I want. Jay, the platform is yours. Let see your proof.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2007, 09:53:21 AM »
Some assumptions can be made that they would have indeed crossed in written word and most likely over a golf course. Macan was into the rules of golf and would referee over big matches back in the day. In 1925-26, Macan was in the Bay area working on some courses and so was Behr. The distance between the two courses was less than 4 miles. They may have even played in a tournament together in Monterey during this time frame. These guys are cut from the same cloth, with one only being slightly better known than the other by todays golfing public.

Tully

Jay Flemma

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2007, 10:12:32 AM »
Tommy, I am not responding to you.  I am not interested in satisfying your curiosity, having discussions with your anything else.  Who the hell do you think you are to ask anything of me after the cheap tricks you TRY to pull on me?  And don't play dumb, you know what I'm referring to.  I have a long memory.

Go prove whatever you want to yourself.  You are not "King of all things Behr"...or GCA for that matter.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2007, 10:55:40 AM »
Some assumptions can be made that they would have indeed crossed in written word and most likely over a golf course. Macan was into the rules of golf and would referee over big matches back in the day. In 1925-26, Macan was in the Bay area working on some courses and so was Behr. The distance between the two courses was less than 4 miles. They may have even played in a tournament together in Monterey during this time frame. These guys are cut from the same cloth, with one only being slightly better known than the other by todays golfing public.

Tully

Tully, Macan was working on Cal Club, where was Behr working within four miles?

How are things at the Meadow Club?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2007, 03:39:59 AM »
Panhandle Bill,
Max Behr created the NLE Capuchino CC and did work at Olympic Club.

Jay, I'm just holding you accountable for your writing.

I'll email Jeff Shelley myself if I have to to find out where you/he/whomever found out this important information that you have uncovered, yet won't explain your sources. (I suspect a journalistic integrity on your part at it's very worst. But why am I not surprised?)

Yes, it is hard to do a blog everyday. Panhandle Bill is right about that. But maybe this is a reason you should stick to other subjects you have more knowledge of. Certainly your Macan piece is as informative as your writing that George Bahto co-authored his book with Charles Banks, whose been dead since 1931.

From the Walk in the Park blog:

ONe editorial note, some of the hole descriptions are excerpted by Jim from Bahto and Banks’ book which descirbes Yale really well.

For you to make such assumptions without FACTS is what I am getting at here. You see Jay, I do believe Macan probably knew of Behr, probably read him just like many were during the day. He was a controversial figure that had to be listened to simply because he was one of the better known amateur players of his day and was the editor of Golf Illustrated;as well as contributor to the USGA Green Section, and each and everyone of his articles and writing took people to task for their, inaccuracies and viewpoints of the Sport at large.

Did he follow Behr's principles? No, I don't think so. They may have been of the same cloth as Tull has suggested, but the shaping wasn't all that great; sort of piles here and there, mind you interesting piles, but not random in nature. In my opinion, the routing and use of land was Macan's strong suit and if I can make a broad assumption on my part--probably the reason why MacKenzie and Robert Hunter's American Golf Course Construction was brought in at Cal Club to alter Macan's original design.

You know Jay, that's a lot of information right there, so feel free to use it when you change your treatise and eliminate the revisionist tendencies of your writings--at least in this latest chapter of A Walk In The Park.

(By the way, wasn't this the name of a Golfweek book?)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2007, 09:08:14 AM »
Panhandle Bill,
Max Behr created the NLE Capuchino CC and did work at Olympic Club.

Tommy, I grew up in the Bay Area and am familiar with pretty much everything ever built there, but not the "Capuchino CC" - I'm all ears!  What can you tell me about it?  Where was it?  When did it become NLE?

Fascinating stuff.  Capuchino CC?  ???

Thanks in advance for any info from anyone who has details.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2007, 09:41:38 AM »
Tommy, I'm not listening and neither is Jeff.  You don;t hold me accountable for anything.  You have no integrity and are crying for attention with your vacuous, thespian like bombast.

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:51:44 AM by Jay Flemma »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »
But I still want to know about Capuchino CC!  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »
THIS THREAD IS CLOSED.

Wow, even George and I don't inspire that much animosity in Barney.

What's your secret Tommy?
 :) >:( ??? ::) :o ;) :'(
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back