News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Are you serious ....... about GCA ?
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »
Remember the first time you saw a wheel and compare that to the joy the man who invented it felt the first time he saw one roll.  One of the problems with being a modern man is that it is very difficult to discover anything you haven't already seen in the media or learned in school.  I prefer to like what I like over knowing what I'm gonna like.

note: I am still waiting for a single example.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2007, 08:33:11 PM »
John, I think it was said above, but in case it wasn't... it wasn't asked if reading the works of the ODGs enhanced your appreciation of golf, it asked if you could have a comprehensive understanding of golf architecture without doing some of the seminal works readings.  Only you can say if you appreciate golf or GCA.  But, is your understanding of GCA comprehensive?  After 39 years playing and what seems like 50 years just reading and posting on GCA.com, you probably have the jist of it by now...  ::) ;D

BTW,  Do you still have that mission statement for the BBGE award grants you used to make... sometimes used to buy an eager learner a book on GCA?  Thanks for helping my goal of gaining a comprehensive (though vastly unfinished) understanding of GCA by granting me a book fee.   It was the only academic grant I ever received in my whole life.  :o ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2007, 09:17:05 PM »
Pat,

Please give me one example of where reading one of these books is going enhance my appreciation of architecture after 39 years of playing the game?  Why should I sacrifice the joy of discovery for the immediacy of learning.

JakaB,

I can probably give you 100 to 1,000 examples.

First, you have to tell us everything you know about golf course architecture, and then we'll fill in the innumerable blank spaces. ;D
[/color]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back