News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Re:Variety Around the Greens at Rustic Canyon
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2007, 02:36:50 PM »
Pete,

I wouldn't say that I needed a new shot, except to the extent that 100 foot putts aren't something I practice a whole lot (and especially not in the last month or so).

I don't remember anyone in the group chipping when they could have putted. I think it was putters all the way around.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2007, 04:44:44 PM »
Matt,

It's not 100 foot putts, I'de bet you do quite well with those if they were all green surface. It's the difference between the fringe speed and greens. Geoff Shac. originally suggested maybe using a 3 or 4 iron for that shot. I find the hybrid chip works well; I know I didn't do well using putter at first either. The thing is, you'll get down in 3 for sure, but 2 is still an issue. That in itself is surely a good thing; no?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »
3- or 4-iron - boy, talk about going through a lot of work to develop a new shot!

The speed difference was pretty slight. Maybe 1.5 on the stimp at most. I think I'd have a lot more trouble judging the speed of a hybrid, 3 or 4 iron than judging the speed of grass that's maybe .04" longer.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2007, 06:16:34 PM »
I'm with Matt on this one. A wise fellow once told me that my mallet putter will do anything from a clean lie in the fringe that a hybrid would do and it's a club I use 30+ times a round anyway. Over the years that advice has saved me some stroke I'm sure.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2007, 12:49:18 AM »
And another thing...

1) Four par 5's in the space of nine holes, all in the same direction, all about 5-10 feet uphill, three of which have very similar teeshots, and all between 555 and 571 yards.

2) The four longest par-4's on the course all play in the same direction.

3) The two shortest par-4's on the course both play in the same direction.

4) The two longest par-3's on the course both play in the same direction.

5) The two shortest par-3's on the golf course both play in the same direction.

To be sure, when we talk about orienting holes towards different points on the compass, we're talking about a finer point of architecture. (Although holes of similar lengths are a different story.)

I noticed what I mentioned about the par-5's as I played the course; I only noticed about the par-3's and 4's later on.

Nonetheless, I was very surprised that the designers chose a routing with all of those characteristics that I listed above.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 01:19:13 AM by Matt_Cohn »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2007, 01:00:41 AM »

Another point I wonder about - Pete Dye always talks about making golfers think about which side to miss.  Does a green with so much short grass, while providing recovery options, really help set up any dilemma on the approach?

Yes, if the slopes are the antithesis of long and broad.

Matt,

"To be sure, when we talk about orienting holes towards different points on the compass, we're talking about a finer point of architecture.
"
This seems like a weak finer point considering the nature of the site.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 01:04:17 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

ed_getka

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2007, 10:32:11 PM »
Matt,
   Interesting choice of things to point out. Of the short par 4's the holes shot requirements aren't remotely alike, so what difference does the direction make? The shots on the par 3's are not alike either. Par 5's #1, 5, 10, and 13 are providing different challenges, why does the yardage matter?
   Full disclosure, I am a RC homer so take my challenges with a grain of salt. :)
    Also, RC is essentially an out and back course, up and down a canyon, many holes go in the same direction. How does that lessen the course in your opinion?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back